Putting SolydXK to the test with new PC!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
Deleted User 2764

Putting SolydXK to the test with new PC!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 03 Nov 2014 22:03

I'm getting a new PC tomorrow:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 29490#N106

Naturally the first thing I'll do is disable the hard drive protection in the BIOS, and then clonezilla the entire HD before I let the HD boot for the first time. In fact, I probably will never let the HD boot until AFTER I install SolydK. :)

This is going to be different from my laptops. AMD CPU and graphics, etc. See above link for full info. Also here's more info on the CPU:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar/AM ... -3800.html

From what I can tell, the RAM from my HP laptop should fit in this machine. It'll only have 4GB and the laptop has 6GB so I can grab the 4GB from the laptop and stuff it into the desktop and get 8GB. Theoretically (I hope so!)

Anyway, the reason for the new machine is that when I went to reconnect a disconnected speaker wire (friend didn't notice it disconnected itself when he had it apart to fix the broken screw/plastic in the upper left corner of the case), somehow the keyboard cable where it's soldered into the board broke in 3 places. (My fault, not his.) :( I'm using a USB keyboard velcro'd to the laptop for now.

So now I'll keep up with this topic and let you guys know hardware-wise how SolydXK installs and works on this new computer! :) Anyone else using Solyd on HP All-In-One desktops? Maybe we can compare notes?

But no, I'm never even going to boot the pre-installed Windows 8.x. I'm not that crazy! :lol: :twisted:

Nuke

Re: Putting SolydXK to the test with new PC!

Postby Nuke » 03 Nov 2014 22:41

But no, I'm never even going to boot the pre-installed Windows 8.x. I'm not that crazy!
I would if I were you, just to test that the thing works. If there were a hardware fault with it you would be in a difficult position when you went to complain and they found you had wiped the HD. We know it should make no difference, but they won't - or they will pretend they don't.

Looks stylish, but I will stick with my monster PC cases as I can play around with the boards and cards inside. I have even found room in one of my tower cases to put a Raspberry Pi and its power supply, in one of the 5.25 drive bays.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 03 Nov 2014 22:48

I look at it this way, if something goes, then I can just wipe the drive and reinstall the clonezilla backup I made that was from factory settings and send it back. How would they know since every portion of the drive would be replaced exactly as it was out of the box? (At least that is what I think clonezilla will do?)

Now you got me thinking. I really hate to... but maybe you're right. And I can always dual-boot. But it's only a 500GB HD so I really would rather use that space for Linux and VMs. :mrgreen:

I'll (re) think on this. I have about 24 hours before it will arrive (maybe less time).

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 04 Nov 2014 00:12

I can just wipe the drive and reinstall the clonezilla backup I made that was from factory settings
Oh, that's fine. I did not know what clonezilla was. Actually, you originally used it as a verb - a new one for the dictionary LoL!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Nov 2014 00:14

I have a bad habit of doing that - using program names as verbs. Technological poisoning of the mind, I guess. :geek: :mrgreen:

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 04 Nov 2014 02:50

RavenLX wrote:I'm getting a new PC tomorrow:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 29490#N106

Naturally the first thing I'll do is disable the hard drive protection in the BIOS, and then clonezilla the entire HD before I let the HD boot for the first time. In fact, I probably will never let the HD boot until AFTER I install SolydK. :)

This is going to be different from my laptops. AMD CPU and graphics, etc. See above link for full info. Also here's more info on the CPU:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Jaguar/AM ... -3800.html

..........stuff snipped.........

But no, I'm never even going to boot the pre-installed Windows 8.x. I'm not that crazy! :lol: :twisted:
I for one will be VERY interested in how you get on with this!

I only expect to build/buy one more 64bit machine to see out the next few years on my desktop. I have been procrastinating for ages because I would normally build my own, but space is really becoming a premium so I have been looking at desktop replacement laptops. I had not thought too much about the "All-In-One" option. Also, I want to return to AMD CPU this time. Not so concerned with graphics; drivers seem to be much better than last time I built.

In the past I would never have contemplated HP because of their proprietary approach to hardware parts. You could not use generics and paid a fortune for their own alternatives. But, that was "boxes". I would expect to buy one of these fully spec'd and not looking to change parts.

Anyway, will follow your adventure! :)

greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Nov 2014 10:58

Today's the day! :)

I been doing research and found it should take a standard SATA drive, and RAM you could get anywhere like Crucial (been using Crucial RAM in the old days and know that's a good brand). I already found a match on Amazon.com for the RAM. However, still won't know if it'll take the old laptop RAM or not until I get the new PC here and take a peek inside (after I verify it's working).

Update: As was pointed out by another, it's best to run the system at least once and see to it that it does in fact run well. Also, for the first year I might keep Win8 on the system because HP uses special *windows* software for their updates such as BIOS and firmware updates, which may be needed. Unless anyone here knows how to do that in Linux?

I'm looking into getting a larger HD as a result but not sure yet. Depends on how much I need for my own stuff and how much I can prune down Win8.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Nov 2014 18:22

Update: Tracking now shows that it's going to arrive tomorrow. Don't you just hate when that happens? :cry: :lol:

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Nov 2014 07:29

HP uses special *windows* software for their updates such as BIOS and firmware updates
This is one of the reasons why I stopped using HP workstations. The other, well, I enjoy building the machines myself. :mrgreen:

But, HP delivers Ubuntu loaded machines too, so there should be a way to deal with this.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Nov 2014 10:38

That's what I'm thinking. I probably need to do some Googling. I remember seeing some info on HP's site about updating the BIOS on my laptop using Linux. I've been using Linux on my computers nearly 2 years straight now so I really hate to change that. But what I'll do is after getting a good backup using Clonezilla, I'll set up the machine as per their normal instructions and do a good update, and then do a backup of that setup. Then off goes all that Windows/Restore garbage. :mrgreen:

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 05 Nov 2014 16:58

If you have money to spare, just take out the original hard drive and put a SSD in. If you should need to send the laptop back for repair, just swap back.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Nov 2014 17:18

I need the computer before a HD could arrive. I can fix all that another time.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Nov 2014 16:29

New system is here! I am upgrading RAM and HD hopefully this weekend so I will do as suggested and keep the original drive at default in case of warranty service. I have a 3 yr. Extended plan on this machine.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Nov 2014 22:44

Dual Boot Accomplished!

I've done it! :) I now can boot into Windows 8.1 or SolydK Home Edition Linux! :) I will put up more information soon on my site (a tutorial of sorts) on how I did it and also another page of specs since the sig won't hold everything now that I have all these computers. :roll:

But in summary, I had to disable secure boot in the bios but NOT enable "Legacy" boot. Then for boot order, I do have Legacy boot devices enabled. After you put in the code to change things, go back in and set up your boot device order. If you do it before hand, some computers (like mine) won't register the boot device order changes for some reason. So do that after disabling secure boot, rebooting, entering the confirmation code.

Then in Windows I was able to remove the recovery partition (since I used Clonezilla to make yet another image of the HD that includes the current Windows installation including all the apps I wanted to install/configure/customizations, etc.) Be careful to remove the larger recovery partition, not the smaller one. The smaller one isn't really "recovery" so much as it's the boot menu to select bootable device or other options! I had to use the command line (as admin) "Diskpart" to do that as the "Disk Management" program wouldn't let me change that. But that program did let me shrink the Windows partition in half (235 GB - I wanted 200 GB but it wouldn't let me go any lower).

From there it was reboot and install SolydK. Now there is the tricky part! Sure I had a LOT of partitions but luckily the new PC didn't restrict me to 4 primary partitions. It let me make seemingly unlimited amount of these Primary partitions! So I went at it as planned.

Now for the booting. This is the tricky part. As mentioned before, there is a "Recovery" partition you don't want to remove. This one has a boot menu on it to select boot devices. You will need that to boot from USB as it won't always (mine don't) auto-detect a bootable USB on boot-up. Then there's the boot partition (Boot/efi flags should be set on that one), and another "unknown" partition of around 128MB. Now this you have to have the Boot/efi flags (boot flag) set on it or it won't boot Windows! Also you will want that first "recovery" partition set to Boot/efi as well.

The rest of the drive can be partitioned as you need to.

When you boot, you get extra options like "System Setup" which is that "recovery" boot menu startup and there's also a "Windows Boot Manager" partition - which is the one you want to use for booting windows (that is that small ~128MB "unknown" one you should set to Boot/efi). And of course the installation will set up grub to use SolydK (or SolydX) by default.

BTW, what I mean by "set to Boot/efi" is to set the partition flags to "boot" and it will auto-set another one as well. This is done in gparted.

Hope this is of some help until I can get a more detailed tutorial done. But this is basically what I had to go through to get a brand-new PC with Windows 8.1 pre-installed on it to do a Linux/Windows dual-boot.

Actually, I did not put it on the original drive. I cloned the original before I even let the system boot the first time and also restored the original to factory specs (saving for warranty), then upgraded the system to 16GB RAM and a 1TB HD. Then I used Clonezilla to restore the drive from the factory image backup. I saw a LOT of errors on it but that's probably because the drive is larger than the original. It still cloned successfully (you get the same amount of space in use and the rest "unallocated").

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 11 Nov 2014 02:19

Ok, the sound does not work at all. Tried everything I could think of and no sound at all. I've started another topic about it (with all the tech specs, what I tried, etc.) here: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 673#p47673 That is a deal breaker for me on this machine. It *must* have sound. I can get sound via an external speaker plugged into the headphone jack but really would rather have the on-board speakers.

So far that is the only hardware problem I've had. Everything else is working out of the box. That includes internal SD Card reader and an ioGear USB Bluetooth adapter plugged into one of the back USB 3.0 ports.

Now if only I can get sound working...

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 15 Nov 2014 21:38

Sound does now work (see my other thread on that). But not the system sounds, amarok or playing sounds inside of Dolphin's information pane. But at least I can use sound on YouTube, LMMS, playing MP3s in VLC, playing movies in VLC. That all works fine.

So far, SolydK does work nicely enough on this new PC. I also have tried a Virtual Machine of SolydX and that works as well.

Return to “Hardware”