HP Photosmart printer worked on SolydX 8 but not SolydX 9?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
phosphorror

HP Photosmart printer worked on SolydX 8 but not SolydX 9?

Postby phosphorror » 23 Oct 2017 10:47

Greetings,

I own a Hewlett Packcard HP 5520 scanner/printer combo. Since using SolydX 9, it completely fails to see the printer. I'm pretty certain on 8 it was almost 'plug and play' apart from installing HP Lip to get the scanner to work. I go into the software to search for the printer, and it finds nothing.

HP Lip version is 3.16.1 and the PC is a circa 2010 Medion Akoya that is an Intel i3 with 3GB RAM. Using 64bit SolydX 9 - chose XFCE version on the basis of (a) It's system light and (b) This PC won't run the KDE version without slowing down to a crawl.

Please advise.

ScottQuier

Re: HP Photosmart printer worked on SolydX 8 but not SolydX 9?

Postby ScottQuier » 23 Oct 2017 11:57

I don't remember what my printer is but I do know it's not supported by the version of HPLIP in the repos. Here's what I did to get it working:
  1. Download the hplip "package" from here.
  2. Install all the dependencies as indicated for Debian 8; they give you the "apt-get install" command so it's a simple cut and paste into a terminal window.
  3. Run the "automatic installer" per the instructions on this page. Of course the installer is going to complain that SolydXK is not a known distro. Just tell it that you want the Debian 9.1 installation and all will (should) be fine.
The key for me was to install all the dependencies BEFORE starting the hplip installation.

Of course, you could just follow all the steps for a "manual installation" (see this page). This entails:
  • Downloading all the packages required for the compile of the hplip code
  • Downloading all the packages required for the install (see above)
  • Building (compiling) the software; they give you the required configure, make, and make install commands
I've done both and discovered that the automatic installation is really doing nothing more than running the "make install" command. It's not a proper deb.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fdpg1963

Postby fdpg1963 » 19 Nov 2017 20:48

Hi,

Just started 2 days ago with SolidK 9 and SolydX 9 after 5 years Mint. And guess what? I have a Photosmart 5520 too!

If you scan for printers SolidX 9 unfold the network printers tree as it is not expanded and displayed immediately.
If you add the printer in SolidX 9 do not choose the defaulted option HPLIP but the other option IPP printing via DNS or something like that when prompted. The hpcups 3.16.11 driver will be installed automatically (using hp_photosmart_5520_series.ppd) and everything works plug and play!

Printing works wireless and via usb cable, scanning is cable only but that is the same story like with al other Linux distro's.

Hope this info solves your problem.

Kind regards, Folkert

phosphorror

Postby phosphorror » 22 Mar 2018 14:44

Just trawling through my emails, and somehow I got it working. One thing that didn't help, was a knackered USB cable where the silver plating had wore off. D'oh!

Literally only solved it last night and forgot to sort the printer for over 3 months.

Cheers.

Return to “Hardware”