Looking for a new hard drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals.
In the Original Post please also include the output of inxi -Fzx
Zuma

Looking for a new hard drive

Postby Zuma » 08 Jul 2013 17:06

Hello folks.
It's time to replace the hard drive in my Toshiba Satellite A505D-S6958 laptop and I was hoping to get some recommendations here.
I'm currently running SolydX with the latest kernel and need to hold onto Windows 7 for Skype. An SSD is not an option for me, I have to keep all data on an internal drive, and an SSD that large would be quite expensive.

My question stems from reading reviews that state Linux still suffers from problems with advanced format drives (I thought that was no longer an issue) as well as "heads parking excessively" these problems were associated with both Western Digital as well as Seagate drives.

I'm leaning towards WD black 7,200 RPM drives, but am not sure. I'm hoping to see some recommendations for drives people have been using for awhile and have been happy with.

Thank you for any advice you might share with me,

Zuma
Toshiba Satellite A505D
SolydX 64 Bit

Wow, did someone finally fix the rtl819xE driver?

My personal disclaimer; I'm an American of German, French and Norwegian descent living in Japan, of course I argue with myself frequently.

toothandnail

Re: Looking for a new hard drive

Postby toothandnail » 09 Jul 2013 20:18

I've got a 500 GB Western Digital black in my T40. Working well so far (had it about 8 months now).

Alignment shouldn't be a problem - gparted at least will set the geometry properly. Not sure about fdisk, but you do need to avoid cfdisk.

Not sure about the excessive shutdown problem, but if it does still exist, its easy enough to fix - I've been running this in rc.local for a long time:

Code: Select all

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
The WD has a fairly noisy recalibration cycle which worried me the first time I heard it, but there doesn't seem to be any problem - I've run smartmon several times without any errors being reported.

Paul.

Zuma

Postby Zuma » 13 Jul 2013 05:17

Sorry for the late reply, still moving into the new house here. Thank you for the input, I went ahead and ordered a WD7500BPKT 750GB, hoping it works out well.

Thank you again,

Zuma
Toshiba Satellite A505D
SolydX 64 Bit

My personal disclaimer; I'm an American of German, French and Norwegian descent living in Japan, of course I argue with myself frequently.

wisemagic

Postby wisemagic » 26 Jul 2013 01:29

Seagate now has Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drives. SSD Performance. HDD Capacity. Affordable Price.
Almost as fast as Solid State Hard Drives, but a lot cheaper.

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... rid-drive/
E5-2690 Xeon - 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600 Quad Channel -
Chinese HUANAN MB - GeForce GTX 960 4GB PCI Express 16X HDMI
Dual 480.0 GB SSD Corsair - Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler - Blu-ray / DVD LightScribe Recorder
Debian Sid - Kernel 4.17.2-zen

Zuma

Postby Zuma » 30 Aug 2013 14:52

Oops, missed this before, so replying a month late. I had looked at Seagate hybrid drives, but quite a few of the reviews I saw were not very favorable. Also, I was not sure how well a multi-boot system would work with them. Seems only one distribution would fit on the "SSD" portion, and the others would be placed on the conventional HDD?
Thank you for the reply though, I may go ahead and put one in my sons laptop, he is 11 and just recently switched from Peppermint to SolydX. Now we need to get my wife to cross over with us.

Zuma
Toshiba Satellite A505D
SolydX 64 Bit

wisemagic

Postby wisemagic » 30 Aug 2013 18:31

Hi Zuma, We put a 750 Gig Hybrid in a 2010 Macbook Pro... The change was obvious. :)
E5-2690 Xeon - 16GB PC12800 DDR3 1600 Quad Channel -
Chinese HUANAN MB - GeForce GTX 960 4GB PCI Express 16X HDMI
Dual 480.0 GB SSD Corsair - Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler - Blu-ray / DVD LightScribe Recorder
Debian Sid - Kernel 4.17.2-zen

Return to “Hardware”