Kudos to the troops

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Foggy

Kudos to the troops

Postby Foggy » 09 Feb 2017 00:08

I purchased a laptop with W8 a while back, but the UEFI setup defeated me initially, and I had little time to pursue it.

Recently I was asked about Linux by one of my students (I tutor older students through SeniorNet). I pulled the laptop out but was still having some UEFI and Broadcom WIFI trouble with an older solydk iso. Downloaded the latest iso and it installed without a hitch.

UEFI - No problem
Broadcom - No problem.

So, I've learned to discard my older iso's. Well done for the continuing development work.

Next project is to resuscitate a donor laptop with W10 that just doesn't perform.

Foggy

Re: Kudos to the troops

Postby Foggy » 19 Jun 2017 20:07

Donor laptop upgrade went well, and SolydK makes it very snappy. So much for Windows 10!

I am pleased to tell you that our SeniorNet has recently purchased 10 new computers, and SolydX and SolydK are installed on all as one of the guest OS's offered under virtualbox. I'm gradually getting people used to something other than M$ offerngs.

Just a question that someone may know the answer. I see that Firefox V52.2.0 (ESR) is the current offering. When will FF V54 with the Multi Process feature make it into SolydXK?

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 19 Jun 2017 22:49

:clap: :clap:

Firefox 54 (no ESR) is always available in SolydXK through the Synaptic Package Manager.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

dwaynejohnson

Postby dwaynejohnson » 04 Jul 2017 09:01

Did you have any other problems with the upgrade? For some reason it didn't work for me when I was trying to do something similiar.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » 04 Jul 2017 20:26

I didn't try to upgrade, just kept the ESR version. I will wait.

ilu

Postby ilu » 05 Jul 2017 05:06

That's a good idea at the moment - if it's not urgent better wait until the dust from the debian change to stretch has settled.

dwaynejohnson

Postby dwaynejohnson » 11 Jul 2017 13:42

palimmo wrote::clap: :clap:

Firefox 54 (no ESR) is always available in SolydXK through the Synaptic Package Manager.

Are you sure? I had SolydXK and I couldn't find Firefox for some reason. Maybe I screwed up in the installation part to be honest. However I think Chrome is better in any case and when you compare them side to side it is faster and better for synchronization between browsers.Although the link is mainly about pc and mac, it can still apply to Linux. At the end of the day it all depends on your preferences and what you resonate with the most.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 11 Jul 2017 14:32

It's there:

Code: Select all

solydxk@solydxk:~$ apt policy firefox
firefox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 54.0.1
  Version table:
     54.0.1 0