Administrations migrating to open source - “Freedom from you, Mr. Gates!’”

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: Munich completes migration - “Freedom from you, Mr. Gate

Postby Schoelje » 16 May 2014 09:29

Resurrecting an old topic with a nice overview: http://opensource.com/government/14/5/h ... dows-linux

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 16 May 2014 15:07

I'd like to see other cities to follow what they did on munich :3
I've read that several department on US have also moved into open source but the impact on the society is far less compared to what happened in munich. if other big cities in europe follow what happened in munich then the impact will be very big.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 17 Aug 2014 13:54

SolydXK needs you!

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 17 Aug 2014 15:21

This is sad.
I wish they would have given more details on why they gave up on Linux.
What I could derive from the article that part of it had to do with exchanging documents with Windows users.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 18 Aug 2014 07:23

I'm afraid it's all about politics.

SolydXK needs you!

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 18 Aug 2014 14:28

Schoelje wrote:I'm afraid it's all about politics.

Yep first thing I thought too. It's easier to be swayed and bought by the Evil Demons then fight Them! :o
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

ilu

Postby ilu » 07 Sep 2015 23:39

I just stumbled over this thread and decided to update it.
MAYBL8 wrote:This is sad. I wish they would have given more details on why they gave up on Linux.

No they did not. They just ordered an internal revision of the project. In fact, they can't easily switch back to MS Win because a bigger part of their desktop hardware is much too old to run modern Win systems. :mrgreen:

In the beginning there were compatibility problems which were solved by migrating from OO to Libre Office. Whenever now criticism of LiMux reaches the public it's due to 3 reasons:
1. Lobbyism
MS has it's german branch office in Munich and is one of the bigger tax payers there. Of course they work hard against any Linux success in this area. At least 2 leading city officials are on their side, I won't speculate why.
2. Laziness bordering on stupidity
City officials (Stadtrat - those that decide) complained that they weren't able to simply install whatever they liked on their laptops "because of Linux" - in fact due to strict security settings - never mind that's why Linux is practically virus-free. They complained especially about skype and about being unable to sync their accounts with their smartphones without help.
3. Sheer stupidity
Whenever the Munich IT fails for whatever reason, LiMux is the culprit. In Dec 2014 the mail *server* crashed and of course everybody accused the LiMux *desktop* system. The 2. Mayor gave an interview and the local print media titled "Back to Windows".

I think these - esp. 2+3 - are the typical problems Linux has to face everywhere in the business world and beyond. Whenever I rant about something that doesn't immediately work - whether it's a slow website or a lost file - my son says: Thats just because you run Linux. Take Win7 like Dad and everything would be ok ....

belze

Postby belze » 08 Sep 2015 09:46

i have a little experience in migrating windows user to linux (i think you all have had such experience).
I've spoken to people scared by linux because nobody trained them or even worst who did was unable to do it correctly. I've heard the same rant by employees here in my town about news version of windows, newer version of office (ms office of course) and angrier rants against OO or LO. I think people rant when they face something new. I will not start a political talk about EU politics nowadays, but you can easily understand my position anyway.
In the linux word we miss trainers. We miss people able to talk to officers and low skilled employees, we lack in communicators.
This is just IMHO of course.
-------

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 08 Sep 2015 13:08

well...if you count all 'linux', almost everything we faced in daily life is linux. if you're not using microsoft, apple, or blackberry you're probably using linux :lol:

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 08 Sep 2015 13:15

Generally in my office experiience in the workplace I have seen linux in the behind the scenes systems that the vendor wants something that is reliable. For example my voicemail system at work is based on linux. Also I have a plotter that has a computer connected to it and it runs on linux. I don't know what versions or OS they have because they dont have computer screens that show the operating systems but I know they are linux based.

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 01 Nov 2015 20:26

ilu wrote:Whenever the Munich IT fails for whatever reason, LiMux is the culprit. In Dec 2014 the mail *server* crashed and of course everybody accused the LiMux *desktop* system. ..... I think these .... are the typical problems Linux has to face everywhere in the business world and beyond. Whenever I rant about something that doesn't immediately work - whether it's a slow website or a lost file - my son says: Thats just because you run Linux.

That rings a bell with me. Some years ago, when most cars still had inductive discharge ignition, I made a capacitive discharge system for my own from a circuit diagram I saw in an electronics magazine. It worked great.

So I also made one for my father. That was a mistake. Every time he found his car a bit reluctant to start, or he thought it was not as powerful as he would like going up a hill, he would rip out my circuit box and reconnect the distributor and coil as inductive discharge with temporary leads. It made no difference, but I had given him something to blame.

Of course, the next car he bought had electronic ignition anyway, but it never occurred to him to blame that for anything because it came with the car. Like Windows comes with the PCs that everyone buys.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: Munich completes migration - “Freedom from you, Mr. Gates!’”

Postby Schoelje » 11 Jan 2018 08:23

I'm sorry to post to such an old thread, but today I found this article that I'd like to share with you:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/en ... indows-10/

In short:
Munich city council's administrative and personnel committee has decided to move any remaining Linux systems to Windows 10 in 2020.

I also found the user comments on a similar article very amusing:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/1 ... dows_2020/

You can clearly see the difference in Linux and Windows users :D

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Re: [FAILED] Munich completes migration - “Freedom from you, Mr. Gates!’”

Postby ilu » 11 Jan 2018 22:47

I added the failed tag ...

san-claudio

Postby san-claudio » 12 Jan 2018 22:04

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 13 Jan 2018 10:19

Thanks for that link, san-claudio!

Here's the English article: https://itsfoss.com/barcelona-open-source/

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 14 Jan 2018 20:02

That's a very smart move for Barcelona and a major success for the "Public Money Public Code" campaign of Free Software Foundation Europe. I'm proud to say that I'm part of that campaign and I encourage everyone to support the campaign (and FSFE of course). Please go visit https://publiccode.eu/ and support them by signing their petition and by spreading the word!

I adapted the thread title to the present development, in order to not let it sound so depressing :)

And let's not forget that in spite of the Munich debacle a lot of smaller cities and administrative entities succesfully work with open source without anybody noticing it.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”