Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back/ 10 things I hate about it

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
RalphB

Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back/ 10 things I hate about it

Postby RalphB » 30 Aug 2013 03:56

I think I will cross post this across the various linux forums I go to so no one feels I am picking on them.
Okay if you know me I am a long time linux user, and my primary distribution is Ubuntu.
I started with Debian and worked my way into Ubuntu as it was easier to set up and install then debian at the time.
But despite my apparent loyalty to Ubuntu there is a lot I dislike especially now.
In fact I have 10 good reasons on my list:

1: It can be very unstable, really I have had my share of crashes in it
2: you need things like PPA's for extra software, a bit of a nuisance.
3: you need a lot of tweaking to make it work the way you want it to. In some ways even windows is better in this front.
4: Unity is uncustomizable and un flexible
5: The direction towards mobile is very troubling for someone who uses a desktop.
6: Mir is going to be forced on us, and I think it needs time for adapters, if we get a broken experience here its Ubuntus fault for going to a untried and un tested technology that most graphics card makers wont support.
7: the reliance on amazon for funding, rather if you think that the amazon thing is spyware or not isz not the issue.
For me its more annoying
8: Reliance on inferior tools for heavy tasks (here is looking at you Ubuntu software center)
9: The current support cycle, 9 months really
10: the constant bad version/good version building of ubuntu.
12.04 is perhaps thee worst LTS out there, I have had constant bugs in it while 13.04 is very smooth and fine and hardly any errors on my end.

But with all that said it is still the top distro I use, as it has everything I want like the netflix workaround and MTP support for my android.
Now there have been a few close ones like Manjaro, but it has a few bugs in it that need to smoothed out,
openSUSE is my primary fallback distro but it lacks so much compared to ubuntu right now.
Mageia is promising but its youth is a weakness
Fedora is good but it lacks the hardware support, plus the fact it uses gnome shell just makes me mad.
Now there is Solyd, while it looks good and seems decent I am having issues with its implementation of KDE
I think ubuntu is a reflection of the linux world right now, a mess that needs a bit of cleaning up to make it work better.
But I am still a linux loyalist as its done me so well in my over 6 years worth of experience.
But the playing field is just so uneven right now.
I wish I could use other distros but right now i feel so locked in, sigh.

cristy78

Re: Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back/ 10 things I hate about

Postby cristy78 » 30 Aug 2013 10:31

Totally understand your point. After trying many other distros I finally settled to Solydk.

I was very sorry for Ubuntu as I like it very much, somehow my laptop do not get along well with Mint,
Fedora and openSuse totally disappointed me, Mageia it is ok but has a long way to go yet.
Now the primary os I use is Solydk and PClinuxOS as fall back.

What is your problems with KDE implementation in Solyd ? ( my only issue is that I can not make my note2 work nice with the solydk. If I put kio-mtp it is ok but the Dolphin becomes very slow)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 30 Aug 2013 10:43

after reading your post what remains is sadness, yes, sadness!!
RalphB wrote:I wish I could use other distros but right now i feel so locked in, sigh.
in my book this would be enough not to use ubuntu ever
bliss of ignorance

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 30 Aug 2013 12:04

The bad thing is that some of the distros that are built from Ubuntu have the Amazon ads built in as well. When I open the software center and see advertisements, it is just creepy. What's next? Forcing Amazon to be your home page? Flashing banner ads? There has to be a better way to get funding.

All Linux distros are improving. Things like Netflix will soon be standard. Steam gaming support is an example. The thing
that makes a distro appealing to me is that there is not the hardcore FOSS or FLOSS philosophy. I want my drivers and firmware. I want my Firefox and Flash. And I want a forum where people are helpful. These are the things that keep bringing me back to SolydXK.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 30 Aug 2013 12:51

zerozero wrote:after reading your post what remains is sadness, yes, sadness!!
RalphB wrote:I wish I could use other distros but right now i feel so locked in, sigh.
in my book this would be enough not to use ubuntu ever
Well yes but when Ubuntu is the distro that suits your needs no matter how much you hate the direction its going init becomes a point of annoyance to stick with it no matter how much you have grown to hate it.
But truth be told no matter how bad Ubuntu is I still rather use Ubuntu (and linux in general) then Windows or buy a Mac.
I like the freedom linux gives me, the choice and the diversity, sure right now that choice is limited due to my hardware (having an older ati card not a new one still supported by the linux proprietary drivers) but I do hope that the eventual fragmentation Ubuntu will cause with Mir that its sub distros like Kubuntu will improve through it spinning off from Ubuntu.
I just hope if I do stick to 13.04 for now 13.10 wont suck, and I wont loose compatibility with some of my favorite apps.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 30 Aug 2013 20:21

Ugh already I am regretting my return to ubuntu, once again its community is giving me headaches so I may still be in distro limbo.
I am looking for something stable, something upgradable, something that is easy to use and install.
I am very desperate here, I am at my wits end...
I have tried Manjro, Mageia, Mint, openSUSE, SolydK, Fedora, Ubuntu... I may just give up at this rate and... go back to windows.
Thats how bad this all is, but even that I really dont want to do as Windows is slow and I hate using it.
I dont have money for a Mac.... Ugh I just dont know what to do anymore.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 31 Aug 2013 00:00

RalphB
if we cross-read this topic and this >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1313 we see so many contradictions that i can only infer that either:

a) you are completely lost and no distro/OS deserves that;
chill out; take a computers break; come back in a week or two (not necessarily to Solyd);
you have hundreds of distros around (and a new starting every week), i can't believe that you don't have unix options.

b) you are trolling. please don't make me think that.
bliss of ignorance

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 31 Aug 2013 00:24

No its a, i am just flustered

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 31 Aug 2013 00:42

No offense, but anyone sufficiently motivated enough would change distros ;) there are 100 on distrowatch alone (though about 60% are Ubuntu based).
There are choices.... the first being solydXK ;)
-Hinto

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 31 Aug 2013 02:02

hinto wrote:No offense, but anyone sufficiently motivated enough would change distros ;) there are 100 on distrowatch alone (though about 60% are Ubuntu based).
There are choices.... the first being solydXK ;)
-Hinto
Well I have been trying to stay away from ubuntu based distros as well, I just hoped to stay away for longer.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 31 Aug 2013 02:58

My Laptop is still on an Ubuntu based distro due to ATI
-Hinto

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 31 Aug 2013 03:22

hinto wrote:My Laptop is still on an Ubuntu based distro due to ATI
-Hinto
Yeah Ati is the source of my woes, maybe i will buy a new graphics card here in the future but it wont be till Christmas at the very least.

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 31 Aug 2013 04:48

@Ralph

You're not alone in your uncertainty about Ubuntu and the Canonical direction. A lot of people feel the same, and a lot of people are looking for options, which has given a lot of popularity to Manjaro, Mageia, and of course, SolydXK. :)

Speaking from experience tho, distro-hopping is basically the belief that grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Believing that somewhere out there, another person has done all the work to give you a perfect operating system with 100% working drivers, 100% updated and working software, and nice GUI for configuration. But here's the catch: it probably doesn't exist.

You're basically left with five options
  • Keep testing distributions.
  • Return to Ubuntu and enjoy the ad/spyware, soon-to-be-Mir, and Unity experience.
  • Return to Windows.
  • Pick a distro and learn it. Instead of spending an hour downloading an ISO, making the LiveUSB, and installing it.... spend the hour learning Linux/GNU commands or reading the Arch wiki about the Radeon/Catalyst drivers or reading Debian/openSUSE/Fedora mailing lists. It'll be a lot of information to take in at first, but you'll end up being able to tailor your Linux, and make it to your satisfaction and better than Ubuntu.
  • Create your own install. LFS, Arch, Debian basesystem, or openSUSE/Fedora base system, and install the packages that you want and configure everything yourself.
#4 and #5 aren't easy and certainly aren't for everyone, but if you're frustrated with the current pickings and have the time to invest, its the way to go.
RalphB wrote:I am looking for something stable, something upgradable, something that is easy to use and install.
LinuxMint and openSUSE didn't fit that criteria for you? Have you ever tried SimplyMEPIS?

I've been where you're at. I understand your frustration, and it sucks. Take a break, go to the beach this weekend and have some fun in the sun. Things will be better on the PC when you're back with a sunburn. :lol:
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Omega

Postby Omega » 31 Aug 2013 15:26

I'm confused!

So you have easy to use rolling release Distros such as SolydXK and Manjaro, and you're still looking? There's got to be something wrong with you! :P

In all seriousness, Ubuntu LTS is still a viable platform (I don't consider having to reinstall your OS every couple months as sane), so if you're happy with Ubuntu even with all the downsides, just stick with it.

In the end, you'll be using the exact same apps no matter what Distro you use. Just pick one, and stick with it.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

cristy78

Postby cristy78 » 31 Aug 2013 16:21

Please do not try to sound like a big drama....

Distro hoping is fun.
Distro hoping is good for health.
Distro hoping will build character.
Distro hoping will always be your friend.
Distro hoping is the new ''shit''.
Distro hoping wants you.
Distro hoping needs you.

Come on, it is not a big deal. there are so many options there.
And I will tell you that whatever you choose now, you'll get bored in 3 months.

At least you have your health and sanity, right ?

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 01 Sep 2013 17:51

cristy78 wrote:Please do not try to sound like a big drama....

Distro hoping is fun.
Distro hoping is good for health.
Distro hoping will build character.
Distro hoping will always be your friend.
Distro hoping is the new ''shit''.
Distro hoping wants you.
Distro hoping needs you.

Come on, it is not a big deal. there are so many options there.
And I will tell you that whatever you choose now, you'll get bored in 3 months.

At least you have your health and sanity, right ?
I don't like distro hopping, although I have done my fair share of it in the past few years. In fact, I've gone back and forth between Windows and Linux during that time also. I don't enjoy it. So, finally having something like SolydK that won't require reinstalling every six months is a joy. No longer do I feel the need to distro hop or switch back to Windows.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 01 Sep 2013 18:05

If you have at least 3 partitions, swap, /, /home, you can distro hop in about 15 minutes.
-Hinto

cristy78

Postby cristy78 » 01 Sep 2013 18:06

I also settled for for SolydK. But the ideea is that almost all of us had our distro hoping period. How else to know the most suitable for your needs system.??!
I find SolydK the best for my needs and my desires..... But to be able to recognize that I tested a lot... And testing was also...learning.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 01 Sep 2013 18:31

cristy78 wrote:I also settled for for SolydK. But the ideea is that almost all of us had our distro hoping period. How else to know the most suitable for your needs system.??!
I find SolydK the best for my needs and my desires..... But to be able to recognize that I tested a lot... And testing was also...learning.
+1 You gotta investigate before you can know. And, for noobs, there's a steep learning curve and hopping does tend to help with that!
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 01 Sep 2013 19:04

Well I would go over to mint if it was easier to update.
I may set up a triple boot here but who knows, maybe triple boot windows 7, Solyd and Netrunner.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”