Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back/ 10 things I hate about it

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Snap

Re: Why Ubuntu keeps pulling me back/ 10 things I hate about

Postby Snap » 18 Sep 2013 10:18

You're not alone in your uncertainty about Ubuntu and the Canonical direction. A lot of people feel the same, and a lot of people are looking for options, which has given a lot of popularity to Manjaro, Mageia, and of course, SolydXK.
Exactly that. And this is why I left Ubuntu behind and don't look back... and surely any other Ubuntu based distro too for the very same reasons. I still use Mint KDE 15 as my main distro, but I'm planning to permanently switch to SolydK and leaving Ubuntu fully off.
Distro hoping is fun.
Distro hoping is good for health.
Distro hoping will build character.
Distro hoping will always be your friend.
Distro hoping is the new ''shit''.
Distro hoping wants you.
Distro hoping needs you.
I love it. I always have some different ones in VirtualBox plus one installed into my secondary HD where the ones I like better use to live for a while... and sometimes make their way to my primary HD to become my main OS. Like Linux Mint KDE did months ago and SolydK is about to do now. :mrgreen:

Testing and testing is the only way to know the good stuff emerging in the vast Linux distro world.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 18 Sep 2013 11:34

I really wish the mint team would put more into LMDE though, its such a good idea to use debian then Ubuntu

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 18 Sep 2013 22:59

RalphB wrote:I really wish the mint team would put more into LMDE though, its such a good idea to use debian then Ubuntu
I agree 100%, maybe one day. Canonical is making such a mess of things maybe Mint will have no choice but to use Debian as the base for there main OS. But I'm guess I'm just dreaming out loud. :)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 19 Sep 2013 02:09

I really wish the mint team would put more into LMDE though, its such a good idea to use debian then Ubuntu
Isn't that why we are all here.

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Sep 2013 06:29

Right. Mint is great overall, no doubts. But I was missing an LMDE with KDE. I cannot live with Cinnamon or Mate and I prefer to be on Debian than Ubuntu. That's what brought me here too.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 19 Sep 2013 12:37

What MAYBL8 is saying is that SolydXK started with LMDE, except uses KDE and XFCE.
-Hinto

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 19 Sep 2013 12:43

Thanks Hinto,
I forget we have new people here that didn't know about the unofficial LMDE KDE and XFCE.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 20 Sep 2013 06:22

Snap wrote:Right. Mint is great overall, no doubts. But I was missing an LMDE with KDE. I cannot live with Cinnamon or Mate and I prefer to be on Debian than Ubuntu. That's what brought me here too.
Well Cinnamon is progressing unlike any other desktop in the last few years.
Heck Cinnamon has made more progress in just one year compared to KDE in the last three.
If it can stabilize and get rid of its gnome reliance it can really soar above the likes of Gnome Shell and Pantheon.

Snap

Postby Snap » 20 Sep 2013 08:30

Well Cinnamon is progressing unlike any other desktop in the last few years.
Heck Cinnamon has made more progress in just one year compared to KDE in the last three.
If it can stabilize and get rid of its gnome reliance it can really soar above the likes of Gnome Shell and Pantheon.
Well, DEs are all about personal preferences. You cannot convince anyone to switch to your favorite one. Like discussing about politics or DAWs. :lol:

It's the full concept of it. When I made my first attempts with Linux about six years ago I tried nearly every DE available. And KDE was an obvious choice for me above the rest. Quit Linux for years and went back 8 months ago. Again tried nearly every DE out there again, and the same result. KDE keeps doing it better for me. If not KDE, Xfce or Openbox are my alternatives. I don't argue about DEs. It's useless. :mrgreen:

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 20 Sep 2013 17:22

Yeah, but for me personally I think Cinnamon is great.
It just needs more ironing out.

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 20 Sep 2013 17:28

RalphB wrote:Yeah, but for me personally I think Cinnamon is great.
I think it's still a highly immature project. Not a bad DE though. I just feel that KDE is much better in terms of features, stability, and just overall matureness. Granted, KDE has been around for a LOT longer than Cinnamon. So I do have to hand it to the CInnamon developers for their progress in such a short amount of time.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 20 Sep 2013 17:42

realityDroid wrote:
RalphB wrote:Yeah, but for me personally I think Cinnamon is great.
I think it's still a highly immature project. Not a bad DE though. I just feel that KDE is much better in terms of features, stability, and just overall matureness. Granted, KDE has been around for a LOT longer than Cinnamon. So I do have to hand it to the CInnamon developers for their progress in such a short amount of time.
Yeah Cinnamon still needs work, once it breaks its gnome dependence it will shine for sure.
Add in some stability and features and we got a winner.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Sep 2013 04:30

I keep coming back to Solyd. X for the older boxes, K for the more powerful stuff. I haven't been at this long, only a few months, but my initial reading convinced me to stay away from Ubuntu, for all of the above reasons. Just don't like the direction they're going in. They seem to be headed for exactly what I was trying to get away from!

There are a lot of good Debian-based distros out there. I'm beginning to think I've tried them all, (I haven't, it feels that way sometimes though) and distro-hopping is great fun. I tend to lean towards the stable side of things, and I suppose the only "new" thing I need is current Firefox/Iceweasel with Flash. I need my vlc and my transcoders too. I always come back to SolydXK because it's the best mix I've found between stable operation and newer software, without going overboard into the bleeding edge of instability.

EDIT: Lately I've had a lot of fun trying SolydX on my antiques. Next comes an Intel 815 + Pentium3 933 w/512m + Radeon 7500 64m. The show must go on!

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 24 Sep 2013 04:42

My biggest concern next is when i get my father I may have to stick him back on Ubuntu or something based on it thanks to UEFI, sadly not too many distros work on it for dual boot purposes other then ubuntu and Fedora.
Stupid Microsoft owned standard!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Sep 2013 05:10

the newest thing I have is a four year old HP laptop. Hmmm. Maybe i should get on eBay and find a bunch like it and stack them in the closet. Should be able to get them cheap.... At least I'll have time to read up on UEFI before I'm forced to deal with it. If I get something new with UEFI I'll turn off the restricted boot and throw away the OS that comes on it.

tdockery97

Postby tdockery97 » 24 Sep 2013 16:03

fleabus wrote:If I get something new with UEFI I'll turn off the restricted boot and throw away the OS that comes on it.
That's the ticket. ;)

HP 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, A10-APU with ATI Radeon 8650G

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 24 Sep 2013 23:22

Fleabus I love those Debian based distro's too. :D

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 27 Sep 2013 15:30

I have played with Linux for close to 10 years. Most of that was just putting a live cd in the computer and booting it up to see its not ready for what I need. But over the last few years I have been USING Linux and it is now even the main OS on my business computer. In all that time I have never installed Ubuntu and I only briefly booted into it once or twice. All the forums I was on I heard nothing but bad things about Ubuntu. How it was unstable, how it didn't give enough credit to debian. How it really wasn't any better or easier to use.

Well, I hate to say it. But for the first time ever, I am now seriously considering installing Kubuntu LTS. Why, you ask, after avoiding Kubuntu for all these years would I ever consider it now? For starters I think the software center and update center looks easier for new users than Synaptic does. Thats not a problem for me. But in the past year or so I have persuaded 3 different people to use Linux. So far they have all really liked it. But I don't think any of them could go into Synaptic to install software. That is the biggest issue with my current distro (Mepis).

Now I realize that Solyd offers those conveniences and more. I love the device driver and other Solyd features. I love that Solyd has codecs and Firefox and Tbird. So why would I choose Kubuntu over Solyd? Because I need long term support. Whether it is for my business or for friends and family computers, I prefer something that doesn't need continual updates, but only a few minor secuirty updates. That is why I have always used Debian Stable based distros. (That is after a short and dissappointing experience with a rolling release.)

I will be doing a new system for a friends parents in the next few weeks. Mepis hasn't release a new release yet and it almost looks like it might never happen. So that is what got me looking at other distros. Kubuntu is very promising in that I can install the latest version, likely 13.10, and in a few months update to the LTS 14.04. After that, I won't have to worry about that system for 5 years. So for me the promise of KubuntuLTS is long term support, ease of use, lots of software options and stability. Not as stable as Debian Stable, but I expect it should be similar to Solyd since both are based on Deb Testing.

So where does that leave Solyd? As some of you know, I started a thread asking about SolydK for a business computer. That thread eventually came down to talking about a Solyd LTS version based on Debian Stable. Much like how Ubuntu pulls from Sid for short term releases and from Testing for their LTS release. Solyd could pull from Testing for their short term release and build on Stable for their LTS release. Schoelje has been open to the idea and even put together a quick alpha to see how it would work. I found it very promising. If Solyd was to make the LTS version a permanent option I would likely hop on board with Solyd. Solyd has all the newbie friendly features I want. And if it had the monthly updates along with a periodic Stable LTS, it would have all that I need.

So to some extent it took Kubuntu for me to realize what would work best for me in a distro. Solyd with an LTS is really what I would like to use. But until that becomes a permanant reality, Kubuntu might be my best choice.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”