Not the greatest of reviews

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Crewp

Not the greatest of reviews

Postby Crewp » 09 Sep 2013 19:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VE5NGs7P7w

Not a great review, considering quidsup gave a good review on youtube not to long ago. But I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion. I think SolydK is great! :D

EldreThe

Re: Not the greatest of reviews

Postby EldreThe » 10 Sep 2013 02:41

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the review.

His reservations were that
1) the loading screen wasn't pretty enough
2) Software Sources crashes (upstream issue, fixed in the upcomming September UP)
3) Comes with both Software Center and Synaptic
4) Doesn't reboot automatically after install (known bug)
5) Alt-F7 to come out of TTY session crashes (known, it's Alt-F8 for whatever reason... we probably need to change that)

Honestly, he picked up on the issues we've got right now and I welcome the criticism. It'll only make Solyd better in the end.

The one thing that bothered me: he was under the impression that the SolydXK update packs were borrowed LMDE update packs... which isn't the case.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 10 Sep 2013 03:02

I'm afraid he lost me when he belched into the microphone about halfway through although I admit his foul language had already put me off. I know I'm shooting the messenger rather than the message but if he wants to be taken seriously by serious people he really needs to address his delivery style (unless his target market is foul-mouthed bad-mannered teenagers who, to be frank, I would rather not see around these forums anyway). I have also posted this comment as a response on his YouTube page

What I did watch of the review indicated that he had at least given the distro a fair trial and, as pointed out by EldreThe, his review did not mention any faults that aren't already known.

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 10 Sep 2013 15:05

this review (and others) shows that we are not communicating what we are and what we are doing in an effective way.
bliss of ignorance

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 10 Sep 2013 17:21

zerozero wrote:this review (and others) shows that we are not communicating what we are and what we are doing in an effective way.
Agreed. Seems most reviewers just miss or ignore what is SolydXK's most unique and to me valuable difference. Tracking snapshots of Debian Testing and releasing MONTLHY Update packs.... :?
Based on Debian and being semi-rolling. Never needing to re-install potentially for years just updating monthly to keep a totally up to date distro..

================

Just a funny note...
My spell check want to change SolydXK to Lysol... :lol:
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 10 Sep 2013 17:52

Tracking snapshots of Debian Testing and releasing MONTLHY Update packs.... :?
Based on Debian and being semi-rolling. Never needing to re-install potentially for years just updating monthly to keep a totally up to date distro..
Gene,
Well stated. Post on the home page of the site.

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2013 12:06

Come on, take this review with a grain... or a handful of salt.

How many times have you installed a KDE distro having an Nvidia card and it behaves as this guy describes. As you can see in the clip, all that "testing", bugs and crashes happen using the Nouveau driver before installing the proprietary driver. The guy just noticed he didn't do it while shooting the clip. What else can be expected.

I wish the open drivers work better so we don't need to choose the (not very good either) proprietary ones, but that's how things are.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Sep 2013 12:14

zerozero wrote:this review (and others) shows that we are not communicating what we are and what we are doing in an effective way.
Probably yes, and probably others just don't care about whatever the SolydXK team states and publishes either... They simply talk from first impressions. Not going any deeper into the subject than just download, install and run. Too many Linux distro reviews out there are just funny. Most cannot be taken too seriously.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 13 Sep 2013 01:27

Well I will agree on one thing, the default artwork of Solyd overall is rather stock and boring.
We need more flare.

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Sep 2013 07:12

+1

An eyecatching first impresion is all that important. Publishers and anyone making comercials and ads know it well.

timber

Re: Not the greatest of reviewERs

Postby timber » 13 Sep 2013 07:48

There may have been some useful information there but between cursing at the cat, who know what else and burping into the mic (as prevously noted), I didn't even bother watching the rest of this so-called "review".
Of the comments I did hear, it seemed to me that he didn't have all his facts straight either.

Pass the salt please ...
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

dv8tion242

Postby dv8tion242 » 13 Sep 2013 19:22

Hrmm.. Naughty words left in the comments. :(
While this guy is pretty lame, (some of) the comments don't exactly make some of the members here look like sweet angels, either.
Sex sells, no matter now tacky it is presented. Had it not been based on Ubuntu, I'd be running NetRunner..

That said, this team's ideas and NR's artistry would make for a very slick distro.

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 14 Sep 2013 00:25

Although I did not agree with the review either, it's always wise to look how others view you. In this case Solydxk.
This distro is very young, and the new kid on the block, will be tested, and commented on by many. Overall, I think Solydxk is ( Solid ) and will shake out the nay sayers over time. :D

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 14 Sep 2013 08:05

Perhaps this is the (first?) signal of a nned to enlarge the solydXK squad in several teams on several topics: developpement, artwork,...
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 15 Sep 2013 01:18

dv8tion242 wrote:Hrmm.. Naughty words left in the comments. :(
While this guy is pretty lame, (some of) the comments don't exactly make some of the members here look like sweet angels, either.
Sex sells, no matter now tacky it is presented. Had it not been based on Ubuntu, I'd be running NetRunner..

That said, this team's ideas and NR's artistry would make for a very slick distro.
Well I think a lot of distros can learn from Netrunner, it stands out above the majority of KDE based distros.
That and openSUSE, Chakra, Neptune and Sabayon.
If I was an artist i so totally would try to help in the art department of solyd.
but sadly no.
I can test though :D

dv8tion242

Postby dv8tion242 » 15 Sep 2013 08:43

RalphB wrote:
dv8tion242 wrote:Hrmm.. Naughty words left in the comments. :(

Well I think a lot of distros can learn from Netrunner, it stands out above the majority of KDE based distros.
That and openSUSE, Chakra, Neptune and Sabayon.
If I was an artist i so totally would try to help in the art department of solyd.
but sadly no.
I can test though :D
Net-Runner's SE version (still in beta iirc) is interesting as well. Enables TOR, and multiple other things all by. default. Whether it makes any difference I don't know, but seems like a good start.

Usability makes it or breaks things for me. While I don't agree with Canonical's "dumbing down' or marketing, there needs to be a better balance for 'generics' and a better way to restore a DE to OOTB settings. KDE is cool, but is incredibly cluttered and changes are not 'simple' to revert.

Evil-K

Postby Evil-K » 11 Oct 2013 20:08

I actually find Kaddy's reviews fairly accurate, and I don't find his.... "colorful" language... objectionable. What I gleaned from his drunken Aussie gibberish was that he genuinely wants to see SolydK get better, and I do agree that SolydXK could stand for a little more visual "zazz". And I've been having the same "hanging" problem with Plymouth; turning off Plymouth fixed the issue.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Oct 2013 21:19

Evil-K wrote:I actually find Kaddy's reviews fairly accurate, and I don't find his.... "colorful" language... objectionable. What I gleaned from his drunken Aussie gibberish was that he genuinely wants to see SolydK get better, and I do agree that SolydXK could stand for a little more visual "zazz". And I've been having the same "hanging" problem with Plymouth; turning off Plymouth fixed the issue.
I have to agree here Evil-K. I find Kaddy's colorful delivery to be a breath of fresh air, and I believe he can back that up with quite a bit of knowledge. I myself am cursed with way too much of the whole pompous pedantry thing; In spite of attempts to watch myself I can still have them rolling their eyes. For me personally It's all in good fun. :lol: Kaddy's like a fun vacation, and I get to learn something too. I loved MCooper's comment, and Kaddy's response. Had me thinking back and laughing all day. Reviews are great for basically finding out what's there. The opinions given during a review are just that. Opinions from knowledgeable people can be valuable. Always the big block of salt. My own Linux knowledge is practically nil at this point, I only got started a couple months ago, so I always listen no matter who's talking.

RE Plymouth, I have no use for it, but I like the idea of logging the boot process. It has to deal with so many individual configurations. I guess it's doing amazingly well, considering. However I value function way over aesthetics, and it seems like a lot of trouble for very little benefit. I always purge it.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”