SolydXK steadily gaining in popularity ...

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Longshot

Re: SolydXK steadily gaining in popularity ...

Postby Longshot » 26 Mar 2014 19:47

It's good to see SolydXK getting out there. I try to put a good word out there everywhere I go. Rolling is what I like, I hate installing a new system every 6 months just to have up to date programs and the latest kernal.

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 26 Mar 2014 20:10

Broken link, please delete post.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

doctorwinters

Postby doctorwinters » 26 Mar 2014 20:31

I just switched to SolydK and am quite happy so far.

Gave up on Ubuntu last year as could never get proprietary Catalyst driver to work on my system. Plus I dreaded biannual releases as something always got borked. Once it wiped my Windows partition during upgrade. Since that debacle I was running various USB persistent distros like Porteus and Puppy.

I heard about SolydXK on the Linux Action Show and installed it to an external USB 3.0 hard drive. It switched to the catalyst driver without difficulty and has worked very well so far!

Still haven't got Steam to install, but I haven't had time to fuss with it much yet. I really like the idea of the rolling upgrade

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 26 Mar 2014 22:13

Welcome, doctorwinters! The rolling release thing and out-of-the-box support for most things is what got me stuck on SolydXK too. You install it and it just works. And you really don't have to go reinstalling it all the time every time there's major releases or worry that there's a lapse between the current version you're using going out of support and the new one being released a month or two after the repos go down for the old version.

SolydXK is Solyd! :) It works. I like to do testing, development, etc. on my machine and even run virtual machines at times. It all runs smoothly (I admit my laptop isn't quite 2 years old yet). My 6+ yr. old laptop also runs great with SolydK installed. So it can help save older computers, too.

Glad to hear you heard about it on Linux Action Show. I think that will hopefully bring in more users!

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 02 Apr 2014 03:00

We should get some XP users soon.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 02 Apr 2014 03:06

It doesn't hurt to advertise. Well on the way in a few weeks.

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 02 Apr 2014 04:22

I like what your doing Jsalpha2, you would be good on the advertising team, if we had one that is :lol: .

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Apr 2014 15:25

@jsalpha2 - May I have permission to use your graphics on my web site? In the terms page at the bottom I usually post the authors/artists of graphics I use. I would love to help advertise SolydXK! :)

@schoelje & zerozero: Would this be ok if we do advertising on our site this way? I'm not sure what you guys have planned for advertising but I think jsalpha2 has some great ideas! I agree he'd be great on an advertising team! :)

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 02 Apr 2014 19:19

I just grabbed some pics from Google and stuck them together. It is fine with me. I don't do any real art work, though there are some here who can.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 02 Apr 2014 19:26

I think Sam would be great at this. :)

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 17 Jun 2014 16:08

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 20 Jun 2014 18:02

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 20 Jun 2014 19:28

Now recommending a little cheating here as been watching SolydXK sliding down from 32 to 35 to 40 for 6 months numbers for last 3-4 weeks.
http://distrowatch.com/

And the numbers are nothing super important except for one thing Visibility! The higher up the more likely new to linux user's will spot us and give it a whirl. Don't know how anyone feels about clicking on SolydXK for getting it to start to rise again. But I have been clicking on it everyday just to register the clicks and keep it from falling into the murkiness.

And since we gone to quarterly then even less exposure on Distro watch and other blogs. So if anyone stumbles across any new blogs or reviews,etc.. Be sure to share them here in the forums. So can share them with other's.

No matter how great & wonderful doesn't mean much unless Seen to be Great & Wonderful. :P
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 20 Jun 2014 19:58

Orbmiser wrote:Now recommending a little cheating here as been watching SolydXK sliding down from 32 to 35 to 40 for 6 months numbers for last 3-4 weeks.
http://distrowatch.com/
I know for a fact it's one click per IP per day on any distro's specific distrowatch page that's counted. I recently suggested ways around this in a direct email to them, my ideas were politely rejected after a lengthy explaination of how their hit counting works (which I already knew, lol). :roll:

So simply clicking on SolydXK in the hits per day list will count as a click for your IP, granted you don't view a different distro's distrowatch page first in the same initial visit.

I suggested they count clicks on any distro's direct download link instead (the best scenario), for example, and/or clicks on the link to any distro's actual home page or forum. Their system is antiquated and can be biased, especially if a distro is artificially near the top of the list, it will always garner curious clicks AND, distros like Ubuntu with their constant releases (insane every 6 month betas disguised as releases) get a distrowatch front page story more often, garnering yet more clicks. :roll: That being said, maybe Solyd* should release an ISO for every quarterly update and grab a front page story. I even complained in distrowatch's comments that there was no release mention of SolydX BE, the comment was promptly deleted by the site admin(s), phhht. :roll:

The eyerolls are warranted, these people are supposed to be geeks and nerds (as in smart) yet can't see the obvious at the end of their noses... :roll:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 20 Jun 2014 20:26

Yep there is always negatives with any site like this. And generally favoritism can seep in. As I also emailed them about never showing SolydXK in upcoming distro's or new updates coming down the pike. I have never received a email response back.

Like someone has a bug about SolydXK for some reason.
index.jpeg
index.jpeg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
Working on a Mission Impossible 5 plan tho to take the train up 185 miles to Microsoft headquarters. And with my Black Ninja outfit with Night Goggles (a.k.a Splinter Cell Outfit) and Black Usb Key Black Para-sail to rooftop and penetrate Microsoft perimeter and install SolydXK on all their computers with the Mission Impossible Theme song playing in my earbuds !! :o
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jun 2014 21:21

I suspect that Distrowatch is primarily visited by distrohoppers.
As we're trying to be the solid choice for companies, and organizations it would be surprising to get a high rating on Distrowatch. I must admit, I haven't visited Distrowatch in a very long time.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 20 Jun 2014 22:06

Schoelje wrote:I suspect that Distrowatch is primarily visited by distrohoppers.
Rabbit-Hopping-1.jpg
Rabbit-Hopping-1.jpg (34.09 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Heh heh. :lol:

Just kidding, I consider myself an 'enthusiast', I like to keep up on what's going on in the whole Linux/distro world, like sports enthusiasts follow sports news. :mrgreen:

Distrowatch is most often the first site suggested when directing the curious to our world. Maybe one of us should start a competing site? :shock: ;)

yoast

Postby yoast » 20 Jun 2014 22:44

I will set http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk in my mobile as my startup screen and I will try to go there on my laptop once a day. I do think the visibility/buzz through distrowatch is important. If that stat is bumped up it will help uptake more than you may think.

igor83

Postby igor83 » 05 Jul 2014 22:26

Somebody needs to write a new review. Mine is still the latest and it's getting long in the tooth already. It covered the 201401 Update. So, there's room for a new reviewer. I predict that would bump SolydX/K up a good ways on the chart. I get some 250 hits/day on that link although most are very likely bots.

My two SolydX rigs are still running strong, and I'm leaning towards installing SolydK on a beefier machine this evening. It was a toss-up between Netrunner, Linux Mint 17 KDE and SolydK, but in the end, although Netrunner / LM may be prettier, I just like the concept of install-once and keep on rollin' too much. :mrgreen:
~ My blog is where I write about random things that occur to me ~

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 06 Jul 2014 00:38

igor83 wrote:but in the end, although Netrunner / LM may be prettier, I just like the concept of install-once and keep on rollin' too much. :mrgreen:
I totally agree (rolling), besides the fact anything with Ubuntu under the hood makes me feel like I need a shower these days. Have you seen Ubuntu's (and by association, Mint's) repository lately? It's full of Google this and Google that, speaking of data mining/tracking Google, CURRENTLY in Linux Mint 17, the Firefox add-on 'Google Search Enhancement' (*puke*, "enhancement", for who?) is installed and running by DEFAULT now, no opt-in, no warning, no nothing, so if you are like me and control tracking and spyware as much as possible (yes, I now consider Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc, to be spyware, that's a major source of income for them), you might want to disable it, try uninstalling it, it conveniently wants to take other major packages with it, even with recommends OFF, strange huh? Just a heads up if you settle on Mint. I have a feeling they caved on a few not so FOSS things during Mint's 'talks' with Canonical, to keep using Ubuntu's repo servers. :shock: :?

Adjusting my tinfoil hat, but sadly, I'm probably right.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”