SolydXK steadily gaining in popularity ...

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
igor83

Re: SolydXK steadily gaining in popularity ...

Postby igor83 » 06 Jul 2014 01:07

GNUday wrote:
igor83 wrote:but in the end, although Netrunner / LM may be prettier, I just like the concept of install-once and keep on rollin' too much. :mrgreen:
I totally agree (rolling), besides the fact anything with Ubuntu under the hood makes me feel like I need a shower these days. Have you seen Ubuntu's (and by association, Mint's) repository lately? It's full of Google this and Google that, speaking of data mining/tracking Google, CURRENTLY in Linux Mint 17, the Firefox add-on 'Google Search Enhancement' (*puke*, "enhancement", for who?) is installed and running by DEFAULT now, no opt-in, no warning, no nothing, so if you are like me and control tracking and spyware as much as possible (yes, I now consider Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc, to be spyware, that's a major source of income for them), you might want to disable it, try uninstalling it, it conveniently wants to take other major packages with it, even with recommends OFF, strange huh? Just a heads up if you settle on Mint. I have a feeling they caved on a few not so FOSS things during Mint's 'talks' with Canonical, to keep using Ubuntu's repo servers. :shock: :?

Adjusting my tinfoil hat, but sadly, I'm probably right.
Yeah, I understand Linux Mint wants to make a living and all, so they have done a favor or two for Google. It would be interesting to learn how much $ Google gives in return. I wonder if it makes a difference. Realistically, people want to make a living, so they go about finding ways to make that happen.

My (hopefully realistic) hope is that SolydK with its Debian Testing Rolling Release model attracts the admiration of Blue Systems, whose sponsored NetRunner has chosen Manjaro as its Rolling Release model instead of Debian. Well, I don't know anything about Manjaro other than it looks hairy, and I prefer Debian because I know everything I use works great in Debian, and to my knowledge, there are zero issues with Debian. Synaptic Package Manager as an updater has not given me any problems. I don't know about Manjaro's Octopi and don't really want to learn about it. I guess I'm a "moderate" distro hopper, not quite as eager to explore as others. I find something I like that makes good sense to me, I stick with it.

But I don't know, I think that SolydK would have to prove itself through longevity and continual improvement and maybe work its way up the charts in popularity before Blue paid it some due, if there is any possibility at all of that happening.

I was a bit puzzled that Netrunner chose Manjaro over the Debian model. Perhaps it was a nod to SolydK and a professional courtesy, as in, "We will not steal your action, but rather take our distro along a different path, leaving room for you." To me, Debian would have been the clear and obvious choice, since Kubuntu and Netrunner are also Debian-based. Manjaro seems like a wildcard.

I admit I don't really understand the appeal of Arch / Manjaro. How is it superior or in any way advantageous over Debian? I do make frequent use of the ArchLinux wiki, however. In my opinion, it is the authority on Linux. Just really excellent documentation.
~ My blog is where I write about random things that occur to me ~

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 06 Jul 2014 03:49

igor83 wrote:I was a bit puzzled that Netrunner chose Manjaro over the Debian model...I admit I don't really understand the appeal of Arch / Manjaro. How is it superior or in any way advantageous over Debian? I do make frequent use of the ArchLinux wiki, however. In my opinion, it is the authority on Linux. Just really excellent documentation.
Huh, I did not know Netrunner went Manjaro, thanks for the info.

I too do not understand the appeal of Arch/Manjaro, Debian and its derivatives have already compiled binaries for lazy stooges like me, lol. Not only that, especially the Manjaro repo, the number of 'packages' is fairly limited, about half of what's in the Debian repos the last time I checked, that was a deal breaker for me, lots of choice means finding the best apps that suit me, hence the cream of the crop on my system, I don't settle for second best unless I have to.

As for the Arch Wiki, agreed, I've found myself there when performing issue/tweak searches and have found much useful information, if the answer wasn't there right in my face, a lot of the info led to my own self-help fixes/tweaks.

I was once an Ubuntu based distro n00b (Mint, Kubuntu, Netrunner), ironically, the first true stand alone Linux OS I used was Mepis many many years ago (3.3.1, circa 2005, lol), which was back then, based on Debian, not sure about now, haven't checked recently. I've come full circle, Red Hat derivatives are too flakey and I can't be bothered learning a whole new set of commands/cheats for Arch or Manjaro when Debian has NEVER let me down (unless I made a mess myself during many trial and error sessions :oops: ). Debian is the great great grand-pappy of Linux distros, and no corporate tentacles. 8-)
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

igor83

Postby igor83 » 06 Jul 2014 23:37

GNUday wrote:
igor83 wrote:I was a bit puzzled that Netrunner chose Manjaro over the Debian model...I admit I don't really understand the appeal of Arch / Manjaro. How is it superior or in any way advantageous over Debian? I do make frequent use of the ArchLinux wiki, however. In my opinion, it is the authority on Linux. Just really excellent documentation.
Huh, I did not know Netrunner went Manjaro, thanks for the info.

I too do not understand the appeal of Arch/Manjaro, Debian and its derivatives have already compiled binaries for lazy stooges like me, lol. Not only that, especially the Manjaro repo, the number of 'packages' is fairly limited, about half of what's in the Debian repos the last time I checked, that was a deal breaker for me, lots of choice means finding the best apps that suit me, hence the cream of the crop on my system, I don't settle for second best unless I have to.

As for the Arch Wiki, agreed, I've found myself there when performing issue/tweak searches and have found much useful information, if the answer wasn't there right in my face, a lot of the info led to my own self-help fixes/tweaks.

I was once an Ubuntu based distro n00b (Mint, Kubuntu, Netrunner), ironically, the first true stand alone Linux OS I used was Mepis many many years ago (3.3.1, circa 2005, lol), which was back then, based on Debian, not sure about now, haven't checked recently. I've come full circle, Red Hat derivatives are too flakey and I can't be bothered learning a whole new set of commands/cheats for Arch or Manjaro when Debian has NEVER let me down (unless I made a mess myself during many trial and error sessions :oops: ). Debian is the great great grand-pappy of Linux distros, and no corporate tentacles. 8-)

I gave the Kubuntu-based Netrunner 14.04 a try last night and was impressed. It's very nice indeed. Converting from Xubuntu 14.04 was so easy, just a matter of copying over hidden directories in Home. I got Thunderbird and Firefox set up exactly like they were before in just a minute or two. I was even able to copy over "Age of the Titans", an old Windows game that runs in Wine.

Netrunner looks very sharp indeed, but the main thing is everything just works.

I tried installing SolydK last night first, but my live USB froze at the very end of the installation process, at the terminal screen, after it said "Shutting down for Reboot NOW!" Well, I waited about 5 minutes and assumed it was finished and just needed a little bit of help, so I pressed Enter, and then ctrl-C, and a lot of other keys before hitting the Reset button on my case. When I booted back into the new SolydK installation, I could not make any changes because it said it was a Live install. That wasn't right. I could have troubleshooted further but I had the .iso for Netrunner already torrented and ready to roll, and I was rather curious about that, because I've never tried Netrunner before.

So I decided to try Netrunner at that point and had no difficulties with it. Everything worked great, including printer installation, and it looks sharp, too. The preinstalled apps are rather shrewdly chosen, although I did uninstall Gimp and installed Digikam in its place. I really like KDE. It is much more advanced than Xfce. Netrunner is lightning fast on my rig, which has an Intel "Haswell" Celeron G1820, which I picked up for $45 from NewEgg. I have 8 gigs of RAM and a 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD. These things go on sale from time to time--check out hotdealsclub.com.
~ My blog is where I write about random things that occur to me ~

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 09 Jul 2014 09:38

Orbmiser wrote:Now recommending a little cheating here as been watching SolydXK sliding down from 32 to 35 to 40 for 6 months numbers for last 3-4 weeks..
Be carefull with these actions as they can be more damaging as they are helpfull.
Manjaro had some problems lately with people trying to 'pump' distrowatch. It didn't do them much good.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 09 Jul 2014 11:04

I used was Mepis many many years ago (3.3.1, circa 2005, lol), which was back then, based on Debian, not sure about now,
Some things have changed. Others have remained the same.

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/"
$ cat /etc/antix-version
MX-14.2 Symbiosis 01 July 2014
$ inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
           deb http://antix.daveserver.info/stable/ stable main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
           deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main contrib non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mepis.list
           deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/xfce/ xfce-4.10 main
           deb http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/ mepis12cr main non-free
Popularity at DistroWatch can be overrated IMO. If you make a good solid release that fits the need. They will come.
Being a semi rolling version and being able to run a not so new gear and be Debian based
(the best in the west IMO) is not a bad road to go. You guys are young in Linux distro years.

\\\So I would not sweat populaRITY WHICH CAN BE FICKLE/ (uBUNTU ANYONE?)\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I love it when the desert is cool in the morning.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -wxx
Weather:   Conditions: 76 F (24 C) - Clear Wind: Calm Humidity: 87%
           Pressure: 30.02 in (1017 mb) Time: July 9, 6:04 AM CDT (America/Chicago)

woodsman

Postby woodsman » 09 Jul 2014 16:01

Distrowatch is known only to the geeks and enthusiasts. Typically I do not visit the site until I become curious about a distro. Then I visit that distro's page to read the linked reviews written within the last year. I suspect many people have the same habits. Most Distrowatch visitors are aware that the rankings mean very little other than visits to that distro's page. I am not a distro hopper but I suspect those who do influence the rankings.

The odd thing about the rankings is although most observers are aware the rankings mean little, they in fact do have meaning. Human nature. Social engineering. Ignoring the rankings is challenging for most people.

The general trend in distros is mostly about "darling of the month." People who are not distro hoppers but want to keep current with the ecosystem and culture read reviews. A review generates hits to Distrowatch to find additional reviews. Six months later that distro is no longer the darling of the month and the Distrowatch rankings slip. The current darling of the month is Deepin.
It's full of Google this and Google that, speaking of data mining/tracking Google
Probably inevitable when somebody decides to monetize a project. Other than service plans, no other mechanism seems to be useful to generate income for free/libre projects.

The Ubuntu/Amazon connection might be the most well known. Lots of controversy but the core reason was nothing more than generate some income to become more self-sustaining.

There is a fine line between wanting to support distros and going overboard by the maintainers. I do not know how to define that line except by my own gut feelings and reactions.

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 29 Sep 2014 22:25

woodsman wrote:Most Distrowatch visitors are aware that the rankings mean very little other than visits to that distro's page.
ie, the Distro's page on Distrowatch (DW). Indeed. Why would anyone want to look at the DW page of the distro they were using? They would go to the distro's own website, like here.

I only ever look at DW pages for preliminary research for changing distros, or otherwise because a distro sounds like a curiosity. Eg someone mentioned that RMS uses Trisquel, so I looked on its DW page. While on DW, my eye was caught by something about BLAG, ranking 192 http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Blag I quote "The name stands for Brixton Linux Action Group, which works to overthrow corporate control of information and technology through community action".

For those that do not know it, Brixton is an inner London suburb where you would not leave your car parked. Yet BLAG, which seems to be a local and special interest distro is currently at 196 with 52 hits per day (last 6 months) and - whoops - I've just added to its count. I won't be using BLAG any more than Trisquel any time soon. NetBSD and OpenBSD only get around 80 hits each, and the corporate heavyweights Suse and Solaris (which I do sometimes use) only get about three times as many hits as BLAG does . As a ranking of usage, DW is way off the mark.

PendragonUK

Postby PendragonUK » 30 Sep 2014 11:33

I think that SolydXK is slowly becoming the go to distro for those that want Debian base that just works. The distro for when the computer is a tool to get things done rather than it being a hobby in of it's self. As such I'm not sure it will ever be "exciting" I'm not sure I want it to ever be exciting.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”