Message During Installation Might Need Amendment.

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
odo5435

Message During Installation Might Need Amendment.

Postby odo5435 » 17 Sep 2013 16:11

During my recent installation one of the welcome screens that scrolled through during the process was...
snapshot1.png
Unless there has been some new development in the Debian world recently, the statement "...you don't need an antivirus, an anti-spyware..." is not entirely accurate as far as I know. There are good reasons that viruses (virii?) are virtually unknown in Linux but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that someone, someday will take it upon themselves to change that happy status.

I believe the developers of SolydXK should protect themselves from possible future liability claims by either removing this statement from the installation dialogue or, at the very least, amending it.

Perhaps it could read something like ...

"SolydK is safe and stable. It is almost impossible for viruses and spyware to widely penetrate the Linux environment and, by the very nature of the way Linux works with your hardware, periodic chores like defragmentation and registry cleaning are unnecessary"

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

NGIB

Re: Message During Installation Might Need Amendment.

Postby NGIB » 17 Sep 2013 16:33

Nearly every distro I have seen says basically the same thing...

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 17 Sep 2013 16:35

SolydX(K) is safe and stable. Unlike other operating systems, it is not prone to computer viruses or spyware, it does not suffer from disk fragmentation, and it has no registry that requires periodic cleaning.
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 17 Sep 2013 16:48

I do not think SolydXK would be liable if someone did get a virus on there computer. There is no guarantee made by that statement. :?

dv8tion242

Postby dv8tion242 » 17 Sep 2013 20:08

My understanding is while viruses don't have a happy home on Linux proper, they can exist through email, so if you run a system that in itself is not affected by questionable code, that code may be passed on. So some degree of protection is required.
Stating "there is no need" does kinda sorta imply and basically state "you will not need". Just because you don't get shot, doesn't mean it's any better to dodge the bullet when someone behind you hasn't seen or heard it. Surely it's better to either move them out of harm's way or block the bullet..

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 17 Sep 2013 20:37

dv8tion242 wrote:Stating "there is no need" does kinda sorta imply and basically state "you will not need".
Agreed. That was my reasoning behind proposing the words "is not prone to": it's less than "is immune to", but does convey the aspect of not being something that poses an eminent threat.
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Sep 2013 09:02

As NGBI said. Almost every distro raves on that, and Mac OS too. I don't think anyone would be surprised about this at this point.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 18 Sep 2013 10:30

Snap wrote:As NGBI said. Almost every distro raves on that, and Mac OS too. I don't think anyone would be surprised about this at this point.
It may be a widely discussed issue in forums, blogs and elsewhere but, to date, I don't think I've ever seen any statements about the virus free state of Linux when installing any other distro. Nor can I recall seeing anything to that effect on any distro's homepages. I'd be happy to be corrected.

Maybe I am being a little overcautious, but in my general experience making broad statements like "you don't need an antivirus..." is just inviting someone to prove you wrong.
Crewp wrote:I do not think SolydXK would be liable if someone did get a virus on there computer. There is no guarantee made by that statement.
You are right, but why bother getting embroiled in a long drawn out battle over something that can be easily avoided by re-wording or simply not stating something contestable. Some of the most innocuous statements are what allows lawyers to drive Maseratis and Ferraris.
jdhedden wrote:SolydX(K) is safe and stable. Unlike other operating systems, it is not prone to [...] computer virus[es] or spyware, it does not suffer from disk fragmentation, and it has no registry that requires periodic cleaning.
I like this. Short, accurate and to the point

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Sep 2013 14:55

I didn't realize people actually read that :shock:
I had to dig deep, but finally found the file that contained the incorrect text, changed it, and created the packages.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 18 Sep 2013 15:23

I didn't realize people actually read that
You made me laugh at that comment. Made my day.

People actually read things!!!

dv8tion242

Postby dv8tion242 » 18 Sep 2013 16:27

jdhedden wrote:SolydX(K) is safe and stable. Unlike other operating systems, it is not prone to computer viruses or spyware, it does not suffer from disk fragmentation, and it has no registry that requires periodic cleaning.

Works for the most part. :)

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 18 Sep 2013 22:32

Schoelje wrote:I didn't realize people actually read that
for the look, it would also be nice to provide translation.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Sep 2013 00:08

I had wondered about that statement, having first spotted it in the Mint installers, and thinking hmm, they might be overdoing it a bit with that one. I bet the Mint folks haven't thought to change it. :mrgreen: Well, lemme back up there, I haven't checked... :)

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”