LMDE Update Pack 7

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
odo5435

LMDE Update Pack 7

Postby odo5435 » 23 Sep 2013 10:04

I see the LM team has finally got around to releasing this. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2455

I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably have to wait until my next monthly ISP cycle to have enough download credit :lol: :lol:

In any event it's about three weeks too late for me. I'm already here - and loving it!!

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

LinuxArie

Re: LMDE Update Pack 7

Postby LinuxArie » 23 Sep 2013 12:04

It's a big update :

781 MB, yesterday made a clean install from the 201303 MATE 32bit iso

edit :
It's more, 199 additional packages need to be downloaded, size unknown, total files to download : 1367

desktop : Debian stable
EeePC900 : SolydX / LMDE / Debian stable
EeePC1215 : Win7 / Debian stable

pnlarsson

Postby pnlarsson » 23 Sep 2013 20:48

I got my laptop updated now and running 3.10-2 with Cinnamon 1.8.8.

So far is everything running good.

And I was just about to upgrade this one to SolydX - have SolydK at work - but will upgrade in the near future.

Anyway - good that they finally where able to upgrade ldme - i have manually upgrade firefox and thunderbird up to now (one reason i jumped to SolydK).

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 24 Sep 2013 00:54

I use both, I have LMDE on one box, and SolydK on another, to me it's the best of both worlds :D

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 27 Sep 2013 05:48

I find LMDE to be a waste of time if the Mint devs can't keep up with it. They should just keep up with their main versions instead of trying to throw on the extra weight of LMDE. That's what Solyd is for. In my opinion we should have an unofficial SolydC for Cinnamon. I might look into that one.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

odo5435

Postby odo5435 » 27 Sep 2013 13:37

realityDroid wrote:I find LMDE to be a waste of time if the Mint devs can't keep up with it.
Absolutely.

I was looking toward to LMDE to rescue me from the endless cycle of re-installs with Ubuntu and LM. The philosophy behind LMDE is a great idea but I think the timing of it's release was yet another example of a good idea that was implemented at an unfortunate time. The Linux Mint team got sidetracked by the adverse reaction to Gnome3 and started spending more of their time in developing Cinnamon. LMDE was left on the side burner and has stumbled as a viable OS ever since.

Thankfully Schoelje came along to pick up the ball and, to date, he and zerozero have been running with it extremely successfully. Kudos to the both of them and the team they have managed to foster.

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody."
Lily Tomlin

escolar

Postby escolar » 27 Sep 2013 18:42

realityDroid wrote: In my opinion we should have an unofficial SolydC for Cinnamon. I might look into that one.
i came from LMDE too. Now I'm running Solydx with Gnome-Shell.

I added some Gnome-shell extensions and it works very similar to Cinnamon, some things are a little better and some things are a little worse.

Maybe it would be useful some indication to install Gnome in Solydx similar to this one about Mepis:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... M_with_GDM

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 Sep 2013 19:32

escolar wrote:Maybe it would be useful some indication to install Gnome in Solydx similar to this one about Mepis:

it would be interesting to see 8-)
there's a few users here using gnome-shell, so why not getting together and starting an howto topic?
bliss of ignorance

Sewedob

Postby Sewedob » 27 Sep 2013 19:38

I used LMDE for a year, it was stable, and boring. Fortunately Schoelje made the KDE version and transformed it into SolydK, with monthly update packs. I'm a happy user ;)

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 27 Sep 2013 21:05

zerozero wrote:.......
there's a few users here using gnome-shell, so why not getting together and starting an howto topic?
I use to run LMDE gnome-shell, but just dumped it after trying gnome 3.8....blah.. :( Had been using LMDE since it first came out. Sorry to see the direction it took.
Loaded Manjaro and Siduction instead (XFCE both) Nice distros...
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 28 Sep 2013 01:14

GeneC wrote:
zerozero wrote:.......
I use to run LMDE gnome-shell, but just dumped it after trying gnome 3.8....blah.. :( Had been using LMDE since it first came out. Sorry to see the direction it took.
Loaded Manjaro and Siduction instead (XFCE both) Nice distros...
I may just put LMDE inside a virtual machine just so I can play around with it.

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 29 Sep 2013 00:40

I still like LMDE very much and us it alot. I'm also enjoying SolydXK, love those Debian based distro's :D

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 29 Sep 2013 05:24

I still have LMDE on two Acer netbooks and laptop, all run solid as a rock and I am hesitant to replace them due to my wife and daughters all being happy with it. I still have it on one of my partitions on my own laptop as well.

escolar

Postby escolar » 29 Sep 2013 08:38

zerozero wrote:
escolar wrote:Maybe it would be useful some indication to install Gnome in Solydx similar to this one about Mepis:

it would be interesting to see 8-)
This is my howto: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1618

I hope it will work

I think that if other users test it and it works (I only have tested it in my pc) a simmilar howto may be added some place in the SolydXK web (probably near SolydXK products) to indicate that there is not a SolydG version, but it may be easily installed

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 29 Sep 2013 11:17

I'd love to see SolydC ( Cinnamon DE ) boy that would be rocking ! :D

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 29 Sep 2013 17:49

Crewp wrote:I'd love to see SolydC ( Cinnamon DE ) boy that would be rocking ! :D
I'm trying to get it figured out. But I can't promise anything as of yet.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”