Ikey launches evolve-os

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
ukbrian

Ikey launches evolve-os

Postby ukbrian » 16 Dec 2013 16:04

I was pleased to know that Ikey is about to launch a new OS.
Evolve OS is a Linux distribution that intends to be both modern and traditional at the same time, easing the transition for new users from other operating systems, or indeed other Linux distributions.
http://evolve-os.com/about/

fleabus

Re: Ikey launches evolve-os

Postby fleabus » 16 Dec 2013 16:59

Interesting. Have to keep an eye on this.. wonder what happened with his dream gig, hope it's going okay for him... :)

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 16 Dec 2013 17:36

Budgie Desktop integrates with the GNOME stack, providing a powerful yet traditional desktop using modern techniques and technology. With a panel down the bottom of the screen, and a menu reminiscent of Cardapio, most users will feel at home instantly with the desktop.

The core components are as follows:

budgie-wm: This is a simple wrapper around libmutter, which is used by GNOME Shell. We use it to manage our windows, customize animations and provide a wallpaper of your choice.
budgie-panel: A traditional panel that currently sits at the bottom of the screen. Future versions will enable users to use 3rd party plugins to extend their panel experience to suit their needs.
budgie-session: Simply bootstraps the components of the desktop to get you working straight away. Does nothing more than launch gnome-settings-daemon, the window manager and the panel.
Good Luck for them. Tho not interested personally and wonder if this is much like a Cinnamon start?
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 16 Dec 2013 19:21

Interesting. Have to keep an eye on this.. wonder what happened with his dream gig, hope it's going okay for him... :)
He's got a good job and reading his posts on google + he's never sounded happier, I think he's taking on less of the heavy lifting with this new OS pure GTK3 but no gnome shell.

Interesting conversations over the weekend on G+
https://plus.google.com/+IkeyDoherty/posts

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 16 Dec 2013 21:45

ukbrian wrote:Interesting conversations over the weekend on G+
https://plus.google.com/+IkeyDoherty/posts
Thank you Brian, will follow Ikey's posts.

I really liked SolusOS 1.3 (Eveline?) ... Having spent many years digging under the hoods of things you get feelings from them. (instinctual impressions? who knows) Felt ... I don't know... solid. there's that word again :) pure? i know, sounds nutty... i really don't know how to put these things into words, and probably shouldn't try.

Thank you for the great qt4-fsarchiver videos! It's now on my list of favorite utilities. :)

-- Dave

drc

Postby drc » 17 Dec 2013 18:51

Not to put a damper on the "I Love Ikey" theme, but in my opinion, this is just another project that he'll start, huff and puff about, change things endlessly (and needlessly)...then abandon in righteous indignation.

Look at the history (LMDE, Solus1, Solus2). Just sayin'.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 17 Dec 2013 23:14

I must say that I agree with #drc. Ikey is a very gifted programmer, no doubt....but after the abrupt with no warning closure of SolusOS and his "been fun...bye" exit from SolusOS, it will be a long time before I install anything with Ikey's name on it. I'm going to follow the progress of evolve-os and maybe after 3 years (if it is still here) I'll download an iso and install it in a vm. Again I'm going to wait a minimum of 3 years before downloading a evolve-os iso.

I'm not bagging on Ikey, SolusOS was his distro........

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 18 Dec 2013 02:48

The thing, tho, as long as it's not an independent distro, if Ikey pulls up stakes, "If you like your linux distro, you can keep it" (to borrow a phrase). Take SolydXK, if it pulled up stakes we still have Debian. But, it did hurt with the abrupt closure of Fuduntu.

I'm not real sure why he chose OpenSUSE this time... Maybe Debian was too boring? OpenSUSE's package management baffles me at times.
-Hinto

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 18 Dec 2013 10:48

@fleabus
I really liked SolusOS 1.3 (Eveline?) ... Having spent many years digging under the hoods of things you get feelings from them. (instinctual impressions? who knows) Felt ... I don't know... solid. there's that word again :) pure? i know, sounds nutty... i really don't know how to put these things into words, and probably shouldn't try.
You express my thoughts much better than I am able to, sometimes you gotta follow your gut instincts and Ikey stood out from the crowd.

If Ikey had carried on with LMDE you have to wonder where LMDE would be today, I think Clem messed up big time there.
Thank you for the great qt4-fsarchiver videos! It's now on my list of favorite utilities. :)
That's going back a few years when I put that rescue/installer ISO together for LMDE, one thing to be aware of was that if you install a backup to a different partition it copies the original partition UUID to the new partition so you can end up with 2 partitions with the same UUID. That qt4-rescue ISO still gets a 40/50 downloads a month, maybe SolydXK could benefit from one but I think I'd struggle to get SolydX onto a CD.

I went on to use saline-backup instead of qt4-fsarchiver, it writes a file rather than an ISO that is not limited to 4 GB which you can install from a running OS, trouble is the script is based on Remastersys so how long it will run for is in doubt.

Meandean the guy who wrote the original refracta snapshot-installer scripts that jsmithred's GUI is based on said in a post that his scripts would do backup files and cloning with a few tweaks but jsmithred is focused/working on a USB-persistant thingy at the moment.

With saline-backup you could also clone/install your running OS to another partition which seemed perfect for a business, if an update gave trouble you could simply boot into the clone.

~hinto

Code: Select all

I'm not real sure why he chose OpenSUSE this time... Maybe Debian was too boring? OpenSUSE's package management baffles me at times.
The odd? thing for me was that Ikey went on to OpenSUSE and Anthony Nordquist who closed down the other OS I used SalineOS, went on to Manjaro, both complained about the politics in Debian.
I've looked at both OS's but I badly missed the friendly Synaptic package management.

Evolve-os might be a handy stepping stone into the strange world of OpenSUSE, who knows.

I guess we better start appreciating the enormous amount of time an effort Schoelje puts into SolydXK

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 18 Dec 2013 14:00

Ikey may have come on board with OpenSUSE with the former Fuduntu team? Only he can aswer for sure.
-H

drc

Postby drc » 18 Dec 2013 15:56

...both complained about the politics in Debian.
Politics? In Debian? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...:)
The thing, tho, as long as it's not an independent distro, if Ikey pulls up stakes, "If you like your linux distro, you can keep it" (to borrow a phrase).
To be fair and honest, irrc, Ikey did say that anyone that wanted to could pick up SolusOs, with his blessings. But I can't remember any distro that lost it's original developer/team abruptly that actually came back to life (a gradual change in leadership is another matter...lots of those).
If Ikey had carried on with LMDE you have to wonder where LMDE would be today, I think Clem messed up big time there.
+1 to that. But the way I remember it, there were some politics there too.

LMDE (and Ikey) is the reason I first went to SolusOS, thinking that this time it would The One(tm). But it's real easy to loose your focus, especially if you really do have lots of great ideas (and he does).

To be honest, I was a bit apprehensive when Schoelje/SolydXK started the BO/BE concept. Not that it's not a good idea, I was just afraid of developer over-committment, leading to frustration, leading to disillusionment, leading to...well, you get the idea. But so far, it looks like I was wrong :)

But all this has taught me to be very wary of distros with very small developer teams.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 18 Dec 2013 21:37

I have all sorts of fun trying out various things in the way of distros, desktops, and just tinkering with all sorts of things for both fun and education. There are a lot of good things being done out there, and a lot of good concepts and ideas being carried through to better and better results. AND a lot of stuff being started and abandoned. If the people doing the abandoning were naught but clueless dilettantes it would be easier to take. Hard not to feel toyed with sometimes.

But that's what it's all about. We get to do what we want with it, until we don't any more.

[fanboy]When it's all said and done, for me personally nothing tops SolydXK, which is imo rolling Debian done right, not to mention all the special thought and effort that makes it SolydXK. I honestly believe Schoelje, ZZ, et al. are serious about what they want to do here and about their reasons for creating Solyd, and that this is definitely no passing fancy, or I wouldn't be here myself. It's always good to come back in the house and kick back after playing outside... :D [/fanboy]
drc wrote:
...both complained about the politics in Debian.
Politics? In Debian? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...:)
:lol: That's great, Well Said!. I love running over and having a nice read at Debian, for education, and for some truly sublime entertainment. :D

-- Dave

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 18 Dec 2013 22:53

Yep was distro hopping the last year. And there was always something that became a deal breaker for me and my needs in a desktop. Tho I loved Mint and wish them nothing but success. I do have my qualms about where Ubuntu and their repo's are headed.

Recently tried OpenSuse 13.1 KDE and still had the same bugs for me. The Weird Wireless worked in LiveCD but not in the install requiring me to manually go in and click a couple of things to get working. Then tho whole multiple ways to get packages and the Yast thing had me confused.

Stuck with it a bit but found not to my liking.

But SolydXK Ruined my Installing and taking Distro's for a spin and kicking the tires now.
As now I'm much more quickly thinking "I Need to Get Back to SolydK?"

They made me more critical and force me to give more weight to spotting flaws in other Distro's.
And make me less forgivable about them. They show me where the Design or Implementation was poorly executed or failed compared to them.

Yep! IT IS SolydXK Fault! :shock:
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

drc

Postby drc » 18 Dec 2013 23:08

Orbmiser wrote:Yep! IT IS SolydXK Fault! :shock:
Not in my case, I'm a Natural Born Curmudgeon (tm), and consider most die hard cynics as mere dilettantes. I can't blame Schoelje, I was this way a long time before I ever learned of him (or SolydXK), just ask my wife and kids, friends, neighbors (well, anyone that even remotely knows me).

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 19 Dec 2013 01:02

But all this has taught me to be very wary of distros with very small developer teams.
I guess if we die, the distro dies. But Debian lives on.

As far as Open Suse goes. It was my 1st boot Linux disk. I still have the "Suse Linux 8.2" 359 page Paperback book
I got with the disk. Talk about learning Gnu/Linux the hard way with a 20MB iso. I am kinda rpm command dyslexic though. So I would have to drink some more al-keee-hol to kill the braincells that are tuned for deb commands I guess.

I remember you ukbrian from the SolusOS forums. That netbook I ran SolusOS is the Netbook in My signature.
I be a AntiX fanboy though. I like the lean and mean approach. Goes with my Biker mentality.

If you guys keep the minimum Hardware requirements on the lean side. You might see me on Ikeys new forum.
I got a IBM M41 dual drive 8gig/40gig IDE , P4, 1GIG of ram that I am either gonna do a frugal AntiX on the 8 gig, (probably more than likely), unless you guys make the evolve-os look like a red-headed freckle-faced pole dancer for me.

Good luck with it bros, Rok 8-)

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 19 Dec 2013 19:24

Ikeys back again....
Love his work especially when he was with mint, but for me I'm sticking with solydk.
I hope him well and hope he sticks with it, he does a lot of good for the community.

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 19 Dec 2013 19:36

Orbmiser wrote:...now I'm much more quickly thinking "I Need to Get Back to SolydK?" ... made me more critical and force me to give more weight to spotting flaws in other Distro's. And make me less forgivable about them. They show me where the Design or Implementation was poorly executed or failed compared to them.
An astute observation. I just realized I find myself doing the same thing these days, and coming back to Solyd. I still try lotsa stuff, in the name of curiosity or education.

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 20 Dec 2013 07:47

Orbmiser wrote: Recently tried OpenSuse 13.1 KDE and still had the same bugs for me. The Weird Wireless worked in LiveCD but not in the install requiring me to manually go in and click a couple of things to get working. Then tho whole multiple ways to get packages and the Yast thing had me confused.

Stuck with it a bit but found not to my liking.
Yeah that wireless thing is a flaw in openSUSE, but I still like 13.1 overall.
Its going to be my primary for some time, mainly because its quite stable.
I have had several nasty bugs with solydxk.

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 20 Dec 2013 13:34

Sounds interesting http://evolve-os.com/2013/12/20/clarification/
Call it an oven if you will, where new ideas can be baked to be shared with other projects. A side effect of EvolveOS’s existence will be a usable distro, as a demonstration of what *can* be done. It is not a fork nor is it attempting to diverge any course.

Paulh

Postby Paulh » 20 Dec 2013 14:04

Hmmm, I think I'll wait and see what happens with evolve-os

Ikey doesn't have a good track record at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I tried Solus and he was really helpful with questions and quick with bug fixes, just think that trying to run a distro as a one-man-band isn't always such a good idea IMO :|

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”