I've switched to SolydK today!

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

I've switched to SolydK today!

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Dec 2013 01:01

Today I installed SolydK on my main computer. I already had installed it on my other laptop and tried it there. Everything went smoothly on both installations.

I opted to wipe out my /home since I do have everything backed up and it takes no time to replace it as I don't have much. All of what I really need to do (installations) would need to be done anyway even with /home intact. So I decided a clean start-over from Linux Mint 14 to SolydK. It didn't take long at all to get up and running!

I have to install a couple more things yet but will get to it this weekend and be ready for work on Monday.

I have to say I'm very impressed with SolydK! I love KDE which is why I wen with the "K" version. It looks/operates exactly like the old Mint 14 setup (of course) and so there's familiarity there.

What I like is that I only had to install 2 drivers - one for my Epson XP 400 AIO printer/scanner and wizardpen for my off-brand graphics tablet (had to compile that but not a problem as I have all the instructions, etc.) All works well! Also I like lmms and jackd with qjackctl. But I often would have to start things with a special script in Mint that would work around pulse audio issues or jackd wouldn't start. Well, I don't need the script with SolydK! It just works! I didn't test MIDI too much other than noted my keyboard was recognized by qjackctl. I don't know how to use lmms yet so I'll learn that later.

Also I have yet to test out watching DVDs (especially those from RedBox, for example). But I'm hoping/thinking it should work. I'll see in the near future.

Everything seems to be working really well! I didn't need drivers for bluetooth or the built-in SD card reader for my laptop because it just worked right out of the box (for Mint 14 I had to install drivers for the card reader and apt-get install bluetooth).

I'll be hanging around this forum for sure and sharing my experiences. I will have switched to 100% Linux from years and years of Windows (and some Linux) for one full year on Jan. 13th. I honestly would never see myself using Windows again! Especially not with great distros out there that now make installing and using a Linux desktop just as easy - and supporting odd hardware as well.

I have an NXT Mindstorms 2.0 robot kit that I have to get working on my old laptop. I may be digging into that in the near future which may mean picking some of you guys' brains for ideas on this topic or that topic (no worries, you don't need to know about robotics or the NXT - this will be basically CD-ROM issues, bluetooth stuff, etc. - technical stuff).

Anyway, many thanks to the SolydXK development team! I was wondering what I was going to do in April when 14 was going to go out of support and the newest LTS was only a couple months after that. Now I won't need to reinstall fresh anymore. That'll be a big help!

Orbmiser

Re: I've switched to SolydK today!

Postby Orbmiser » 28 Dec 2013 01:21

Congrats on finding SolydK your solution which was mine also.
As also got tired of the 6 month Cleaning needed in Mint.

Tho I kept my /home as previous installation was Mint 15 KDE. And just clean installed root leaving /home untouched.
Everything upgraded just fine been thru 4 monthly update packs with zero issues.

And yep found KDE better about devices as use 2 external Ntfs usb drives for my personal data.
A Sandisk Clip Zip mp3 player,Nook Color 7" Tablet rooted to Android,5in1 internal card reader and Nikon D90 camera.

All zero issues using SolydK KDE setup.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 28 Dec 2013 02:09

I have a SanDisk Clip+ which works great in Amarok, my preferred player. I forgot about the Android dev stuff. I don't do any Android dev stuff right now but do have the SDK in case I want to install it and instructions on getting the emulators set up. Not really into that at the moment. Just getting the basics together for now. But I do plan to add more dev tools in the future. I don't think I'll have too much trouble.

Omega

Postby Omega » 05 Jan 2014 16:35

This is as Stable as rolling release gets, and this is why I like this Distro. Easy to install (Live DVD), easy to configure(DDM), easy to update(Update Manager).

The command line is pretty much optional if you ask me.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Jan 2014 20:44

Omega wrote:The command line is pretty much optional if you ask me.
:o :shock: :!:

No command line necessary for installation, which I really like. I agree there.

As for actually using it, I've found some things easier to do at the command line. And I came from Windows! :lol: I think I got very used to the command line from what I do at work running Ubuntu web servers. I really don't have to do much anymore but when I was writing and testing scripts (and sometimes fixing a bug here and there), I did a lot of command line stuff. And of course I run a virtual machine of the server so I can test and develop on it, and find ways to improve our services.

While the GUI is pretty much all an everyday user would need, I still can't stress enough the importance of learning at least the basics of commands at the command line. You never know when you'll have to pop a terminal and do some dirty work to get something working again. It happens sometimes.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 05 Jan 2014 21:26

RavenLX wrote: While the GUI is pretty much all an everyday user would need, I still can't stress enough the importance of learning at least the basics of commands at the command line. You never know when you'll have to pop a terminal and do some dirty work to get something working again. It happens sometimes.
One example of this is the DDM. This application works great for everyone but me. On either an i7 or AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core, attempting to install the Nvidia driver using the DDM takes between 60 and 90 MINUTES. For everyone else, this takes the time of the download and about 3-5 more minutes.

Using the commandline, this operation takes less than 10 minutes (never really timed it so that's as close as I can guess).

Applying the Update Packs is another area I like to use the commandline. Using

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
is all it takes and I get to see all the details scrolling up the screen. OK, I'm a bit twisted by that's my idea of fun. :geek:
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Jan 2014 21:55

You're not twisted, Scott. Because if you are, I'm in the same boat with you! 8-) I think it's super-cool techie stuff to see stuff scrolling on the command line. Kinda like in those computer sci-fi movies. :) Makes ya look pretty "elite" or god-like in front of those who don't do a lot or any programming of any kind. :twisted:

Except when I'm trying to compile something and there's an error that something isn't found/dependency isn't met, etc. Then I curse (not curses) at that scrolling gunk. It's a pain when you have to backtrack and find what went wrong where. But also it's a good thing - because at least it's there to see where things went awry.

I grew up on command lines. I got comfortable with them before my uncle and cousins came around and poisoned me with Windows 3.1. It was downhill from there. Too bad it took so many years and a release of Windows 8 to straighten me out again. :P

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”