A new email provider please

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Zuma

A new email provider please

Postby Zuma » 17 Mar 2013 05:21

Hello folks, I was one of the many people whose Yahoo accounts were breached. It seems somebody posted a video on Youtube explaining how to exploit some XSS protocol to gain access to accounts. Mine was first accessed through mobile in Vietnam, then through the browser. 2 days later it was accessed from New York, again through mobile, then the browser. I changed the password, and removed all mail and contacts from the account. Since Yahoo continues to make statements that they have fixed the problem, while more accounts continue to be violated, and since it's a problem that the end-user can not protect themselves from, it is time for me to move to another.
However, each of the 3 most popular seem to have issues I don't like.

1) All Microsoft email; well ... it's Microsoft.

2) Google; not to excited about having my email scanned by them for their "advertising" efforts.

3) Yahoo; Stayed with the same account for 11 years, but if they wont actually fix the issue, I don't want to continue with them.

So, I'm asking for recommendations for alternative providers. I did go ahead and start an account with Zoho, but not sure if I'll want to stay with them. I do tend to store large amounts of mail, due to training briefs and reports that I create and need access to, so small storage with a provider is an issue for me. Although there are many alternatives now to keeping that data stored in other locations.

Also, if your using Yahoo, you might want to consider changing to someone else as well.

Thank you for any input you might share.
Toshiba Satellite A505D
SolydX 64 Bit

Wow, did someone finally fix the rtl819xE driver?

My personal disclaimer; I'm an American of German, French and Norwegian descent living in Japan, of course I argue with myself frequently.

drum

Re: A new email provider please

Postby drum » 17 Mar 2013 06:52

this one maybe?:
http://mail.yandex.com/
It's not the software that's free; it's you.
solydx10

longtomjr

Postby longtomjr » 17 Mar 2013 10:48

I use google mail and there is somewhere a setting that you can put of any personal advertising stuff... The nice thing is you can get a gplus, youtube, ect. account connected to your gmail account. And I am not a google freak or anything but I got two gmail accounts and I did not get 1 spam email in my life... ever.

Kind regards
Longtomjr
The SolydXK Community on Google plus

Me on Google plus

remember to mark your topics [SOLVED] after it HAS been solved

cwwgateway

Postby cwwgateway » 17 Mar 2013 18:18

I use google and it's ok. I don't like all of the privacy issues, but it works better than any other mail service I have tried (actually microsoft's aren't bad, but it's microsoft :? )
Dell XPS 15:
SolydX Debian Testing
SolydK Testing
SolydX Testing
Debian Sid Xfce
Debian Wheezy KDE
Arch Gnome Shell

Gateway:
SolydX Sid
Debian Sid OpenBox
Arch Linux OpenBox
CrunchBang Testing

longtomjr

Postby longtomjr » 17 Mar 2013 18:20

cwwgateway wrote:I use google and it's ok. I don't like all of the privacy issues, but it works better than any other mail service I have tried (actually microsoft's aren't bad, but it's microsoft :? )

Google is ok for my throw away email adress that does not include personal Info... :)
The SolydXK Community on Google plus

Me on Google plus

remember to mark your topics [SOLVED] after it HAS been solved

Zuma

Postby Zuma » 21 Mar 2013 04:50

Thank you for the input folks. I'll try Yandex, and give Google another look as well I guess.

Thank you again,

Zuma
Toshiba Satellite A505D
SolydX 64 Bit

Wow, did someone finally fix the rtl819xE driver?

My personal disclaimer; I'm an American of German, French and Norwegian descent living in Japan, of course I argue with myself frequently.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 03 May 2014 19:10

GMX are very good.
http://www.gmx.com/

Skygod

Postby Skygod » 04 May 2014 02:07

If you are really paranoid you could sign up here:

https://unseen.is/

Has free and paid options. Might keep the NSA off your tail :)

MoldMe

Postby MoldMe » 09 May 2014 06:29

I've used FastMail for a number of years. They have some really nice features, IMO. Their service is not free though.

http://www.fastmail.fm

CrunchBang -- Siduction -- SolydBang (Openbox, Tint2, most of XFCE4 removed, CrunchBang scripts)

PopeBishop

Postby PopeBishop » 20 May 2014 04:15

I use two e-mail address, Outlook for personal things, and Gmail for junk.
I also us MaskMe to hide my address so that if a database were to ever get compromised with my e-mail in it all they would have is the MaskMe address which can easily be disconnected and disposed of.

I
Proper password hygiene is key to a secure system

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 20 May 2014 10:09

Has anyone here got one of the beta email accounts over at https://protonmail.ch ?
I signed up for the beta myself, looks pretty good to me.

macstar

Postby macstar » 20 May 2014 10:16

helmsdeeper wrote:Has anyone here got one of the beta email accounts over at https://protonmail.ch ?
I signed up for the beta myself, looks pretty good to me.
i signed up today, no account yet, too many subscribers i guess ....

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 20 May 2014 14:06

I have to laugh at those of you who would trust Google with your data but not Microsoft. Personally I would choose any Microsoft product over Google. Microsoft built their company on the software they designed or purchased, Google built their company on data mining and selling data/adds. I personally feel that my data is safer with MS than Google. But thats not to say I trust either one very much.

I've also been looking at different email providers lately. I have basically decided to get a domain and just find an email host though, so my situation is a bit different now. But some of the providers I was looking at were:

mail.com
GMX.com
Zoho.com
runbox.com
inbox.com
thexyz.com
shazzlemail.com
startmail.com - https://beta.startmail.com/ from the makers of startpage.com which is currently in beta and not yet available.

I have not used any of these. They are just what I found when I was looking. Some of them are secure emails with a fee others are free emails. I believe they all said they will not scan your emails though. I am still considering Zoho and a couple of the others that will allow me to use my own domain, but I will most likely pay a local company to host my email now.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 21 May 2014 19:10

Fargo wrote:...
GMX.com
+1 GMX via Thunderbird. ;)

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 21 May 2014 20:38

Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

sobe

Postby sobe » 21 May 2014 23:14

I agree with Drum about recommending Yandex mail. I went on a search a year ago when wanting to get away from too much Google and tested about 20 different email providers for about a month. The only one worth keeping was Yandex mail.
Distros currently and regularly on my machines...
Semplice, Linux Mint Xfce, SolydX,

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”