One Year Since I Switched To Linux

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2764

One Year Since I Switched To Linux

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Jan 2014 21:26

Today (Jan 13) marks one year since I have switched to using Linux exclusively. I don't have Windows on any of my computers and don't see myself ever going back.

I think what did it for me in the first place was not liking Windows 7 very much and then upgrading to the disastrous Windows 8 and hating it. Windows 8 was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

What helped was discovering and trying Linux Mint in a VM at first, as well as having years of experience with Ubuntu server edition and dabbling in Linux off and on, hoping that one day Linux as a usable desktop operating system would happen. That day came one year ago for me.

Linux is not costly (like Windows which programs cost a lot and getting upgrades to fix annoying bugs can cost even more). Linux works and is more secure.

I'm very glad I switched. 8-)

Deleted User 2763

Re: One Year Since I Switched To Linux

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Jan 2014 00:44

If there was a "Like" button, I'd press it ;)
-H

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jan 2014 00:48

:) I think "Like" is an understatement. If there was a heart butt I'd press it!

SolydXK (and before that, Mint) is what kept me in Linux all this time. Definitely a great future ahead!

Dr G

Postby Dr G » 14 Jan 2014 01:19

And if I may add, "Hear! Hear!!"

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Jan 2014 01:21

Yeah...
I've been running Linux at work since 2006 for Java/C/C++ development.
In 2009 in installed it at home to see if it was ready for "consumer" use. (it is)

I haven't looked back... If I have to run Windows, it's in a virtual machine.

I'll also add that I had no prior *nix experience when I took the plunge. I needed a 64-bit development environment and a Linux workstation was tons cheaper than an AIX one;)
-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jan 2014 01:44

I had a bit of *nix-like experience before I tried Slackware way back when it was in it's infancy. I'm talking way back when I was using Windows 3.1!

Before I even got to using an "IBM Compatible PC", I had a Tandy Color Computer 3 with OS-9 Level II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-9) That was awesome. Going to a PC was almost like a real downgrade, especially with MS-DOS!

When I got into PC Compatible, and using Windows 3.1, I was with this one ISP that gave their customers "Unix Shell Accounts" so I got started learning unix command line stuff. Just the basics. One of their then-employees took me under his wing, so to speak and fixed my goofups (he was a sys admin there). After he went to another company that was like an offshoot of the ISP (by then I was with another ISP I think) we stayed in touch. It was he who later on gave me a brand-new IBM/Lenovo T-61 laptop computer! I by then was working with virtual machines and experimenting with different linux distros. Also I had a test setup so I could write/test the server automation scripts for work.

Sadly, my friend passed away over a year and a half ago. I miss him. I wish he was still around so I could tell him about my adventures with the new laptop (I still have the T-61 as well), and testing SolydXK. I think he would really have loved this distro! :)

So for me, Linux is really like a natural progression, if not like "coming home" since I spent a lot of time with OS-9 Level II on the CoCo 3. Though I admit it's not all that different from Linux it's also got a lot of differences. It was made for a small 8-bit "game" type "personal computer" (68B09E Motorola CPU). But it sure rocked! That's why when I heard about Linux I had to look into it.

I'm very at home at the command line as a result. :)

Fletch

Postby Fletch » 16 Jan 2014 01:42

I dunno how long I've ran Linux. I know I started when I had to order cd's from Debian. Talk about a nightmare!

I think Gentoo is about the only 'nix system I haven't ran. I've run FreeBSD, PC-BSD and Desktop-BSD [which is no more]. I ran Slack for a number of years and got tired of things being so far behind the times but loved the stability. Arch is sweet but I ended up spending to much time fixing breaks from the updates.

I switched to here from Mint. Mint is nice but has a few bugs according to my laptop. I've been running SolydX with the XFCE desktop for a few months now and can't find anything to complain about.

I don't distro hop anymore,,,,, unless I have to anyway. I found it's getting harder to find something that just works and just fits my needs. SolydX just "feels" solid and looks old school enough to make me happy.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 16 Jan 2014 04:40

I remember when I would always be ordering the next version of Mandriva (back then it was called that other name I guess they aren't allowed to go by anymore) on CD-ROM from someplace called "Edmonds Enterprises". I guess they aren't selling CDs anymore. I think I also ordered RedHat from them too. Those were RPM based. They worked the best on what I had for a computer back then. Though I would dual-boot as I was still stuck to Windows due to lack of hardware drivers. I think I used the Linux stuff to experiment with and also to try and see if I could really go fully Linux. It wasn't meant to be back then.

But I'm sure glad it's here now! I knew one day that Linux would get this big!

There are a ton of distros I never tried, including actual Debian itself (I just used Ubuntu, Mint and SolydXK so far), and Gentoo, Arch, the BSD flavors. Never tried those. The only others were Slackware, Mandriva (before it was called that) and RedHat.

And on all of them I always preferred KDE but sometimes it was too buggy so I would stick to Gnome. I'm really glad to have KDE working so well now.

Fletch

Postby Fletch » 16 Jan 2014 06:13

PC-BSD is as simple to use and install as any other "does-it-for-you" distro. It's a "heavy" system though. It really isn't for an older pc. More like a 64 bit machine with at least a gig of ram. Arch, Gentoo and Slackware all require some shell time.

I personally got tired of the shell time. All I do now is use gparted to create my own partition scheme. I always run swap as my first partition. The system seems to boot and run a tad faster when it's set as SDA1.

I liked the "old" KDE" desktop myself. Not so much anymore. XFCE is so versatile it can be made to look just like KDE or anything else and if a distro doesn't have it I'm not interested.

Synaptic or something synaptic like is a requirement as well and everything I want/need has to be in the repo.

Imho, SolydX is the best out there at this point in time.

Omega

Postby Omega » 17 Jan 2014 15:35

For me, it was/is a toss up between this and Manjaro. I picked this because I believe Debian is a more stable base, so a lesser possibility for breakage.

The only thing that has me jealous is Manjaro having more up to date Nvidia drivers, but you know what they say about the grass being greener.

Solydxk has DDM which is more user friendly than MHWD, since it avoids the command line. Not that using the command line is daunting to me, but DDM is more convenient.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 17 Jan 2014 15:50

You can always install Nvidia from their site...
Also smxi (smxi.org) can be used to install the latest NVidia.
-Hinto

Fletch

Postby Fletch » 17 Jan 2014 19:11

As was pointed out the latest Nvidia can be installed to here. I did just that for years on whatever distro I was running. I did the same thing with my printer drivers.

Anyone can learn to do/install whatever they want for any 'nix distro they run,,, they just have to be prepared to fix incompatibilities from time to time as well as deal with possible breaks from updates.

If whatever is in the repo works just fine I would suggest using it because the latest and greatest may be nothing more than a headache.

I switched from Mint to Manjaro a few months ago. I'm not going to slam another distro because in my mind it's juvenile. I had some probs with Mint I didn't feel like ironing out so I switched to Manjaro. Nothing wrong at all with Manjaro. It just required a bit more care than I felt like dealing with. I don't have to perform that care here at SolydX so,,,, I'm happy.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Jan 2014 20:17

For me, I think there are a lot of distros and for someone coming in from Windows it can be confusing what one to try. One would have to try a few before they can settle on one more long-term. There's something for everyone out there. Depends on what you want to do and how it suits your needs. I thought Mint was "it" for me. But then I was not exactly happy about the idea of a full reinstall needed on a major update or a lapse between security updates while waiting for the next LTS. When I heard about SolydXK, I decided to give it a try and here I am. I never expected I'd be triple-booting it too! :lol: But seriously, I like how many things work "out of the box" and I won't need to reinstall. The only reason I did was because stupid me formatted the /home partition with ext2 and the root with ext4 and naturally things got messed up eventually. Then I decided to help test. I think I got things the way I want it now.

It's like browsers. I used Firefox for years in Windows until I picked up a genuine trojan from Firefox I downloaded right off Mozilla's download site! Not joking. That really turned me off. I tested and researched and found yes, it was really Firefox that was doing it and that same version was doing it on other people's computers too. I think they since fixed it but I went to Chrome after that. Also because when I reinstall, Chrome brings in my passwords, bookmarks, etc. and I don't have to reinsert them.

But, since I have separate home and root partitions, I probably won't need to worry about that in Firefox. And lately Chrome has been giving me fits. Expecially when watching YouTube videos and then it would cause my fan to run hot and not want to cool down unless I reboot. Also Chrome won't play some videos including Amazon Streaming Videos where Firefox does. So I may be looking to switch back to Firefox. I am still a bit concerned about security though. But this is Linux. No Trojan can keep reinstalling itself (or even installing itself) on a Linux system.

Also, I been using KDE for so long, that I don't see myself switching. But you know, never say never. Who knows what the future may bring.

Omega

Postby Omega » 18 Jan 2014 16:55

KDE is my desktop of choice as well. Out of all the other Desktop enviornment of choice, this one lets me customize to my content.

I also seem to have a preference for KDE apps such as K3b, Amarok, Kdenlive, and even Quassel IRC. They'll work in other desktop enviornments, but it just meshes better in a pure KDE enviornment. (I'm sure it would also mesh well with SolydX since it's themed to look like KDE).

I've done some light programing in the past (Computer Science class back in HS), but sadly, I'm not a developer, but I do intend to pick it up. I see that QtCreator looks very polished and easy to use for people that want to develop for Linux, and even though I've done some light programing in the past, I can tell that this IDE is the nicest to work with. It even has a huge list of example programs and tutorials built into the IDE to get you started, so I'd definately a nice start for a novice.

KDE did have a rough transition from 3.x to 4.x, and I basically stuck with 3.x for as long as I could, but I can finally say that it's finnally up to par with its former shell in both features and stability.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 18 Jan 2014 17:19

I hear that KDE 5 is going to have some improvements in QT? I might wait until then but I would like to make programs that are more cross-platform (ie. work in any DE without having to load KDE libraries which can be a lot). Personally, I use Eclipse right now. Though I do have a tendency to try new things.

I too prefer KDE versions of programs. Dolphin is another one that I really like more than I like the file manager that is in Xfce. I also install Krusader but don't use it as much as Dolphin.

stelios

Postby stelios » 19 Jan 2014 02:54

RavenLX wrote:I hear that KDE 5 is going to have some improvements in QT? I might wait until then but I would like to make programs that are more cross-platform (ie. work in any DE without having to load KDE libraries which can be a lot). Personally, I use Eclipse right now. Though I do have a tendency to try new things.

I too prefer KDE versions of programs. Dolphin is another one that I really like more than I like the file manager that is in Xfce. I also install Krusader but don't use it as much as Dolphin.
From what i read, one of their goals in KDE 5 is to make KDE applications more cross platform than what they are now. So they are breaking down kdelibs to smaller ones, so that people will not have to download half the KDE desktop in order to install a single, or a few applications in other desktop environments.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 19 Jan 2014 03:13

stelios wrote:From what i read, one of their goals in KDE 5 is to make KDE applications more cross platform than what they are now. So they are breaking down kdelibs to smaller ones, so that people will not have to download half the KDE desktop in order to install a single, or a few applications in other desktop environments.
That would be awesome! Then we could use QT to build Linux applications and maybe more would be inclined to install them as they would be lighter weight? I am looking forward to this.

I should find the roadmap of when they expect KDE5 to be out.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 19 Jan 2014 21:38

RavenLX wrote:So for me, Linux is really like a natural progression, if not like "coming home" since I spent a lot of time with OS-9 Level II on the CoCo 3.
What a great thread. So many memories. It is like coming home! :) I think about this a lot. You're quite right in that it seems to be a completely natural Darwin-esque progression.

It went much the same for me although I cut my cli teeth on PC-DOS 2.1 and later VAX/VMS 4 & "almost5" (with a laugh from the real VAX ppl, not me). Went thru the whole Mandrake/Redhat thing back in '00-'01 too. Then it all dropped by the wayside due to life... Until now. Retired with lotsa time on my hands, and kicking myself for not kicking the evolutionary cycle in it's collective butt a lot sooner.

I still do cli just fine, it'd be even better if I could type (How in Nod's Nostrils does one get this far... Never mind.) :lol: Somehow I just never got any better, still huntnpeck 40wpm gotta see every key I hit.

Anyway, commandline burnout, like GUIs and use them for the most part unless cli is more efficient. Many times it actually is, which means I'm forever dragging myself by the collar back to the ol' stylus and clay tablets. <sigh...>

:lol: :mrgreen:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 19 Jan 2014 21:47

I learned to type first from following my mother's old College (circa 1940s/1950s) typing book and her old electric typewriter. Then I took "Introduction to Business" course in Jr. High and typing was part of the course. From there, I think coding, BBSing, and email, forums, etc. is where I learned to just type what comes out my brain, for better or worse. Now it's like second nature. Plus overuse of the backspace key. ;)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 19 Jan 2014 22:00

RavenLX wrote:"Introduction to Business" course in Jr. High and typing was part of the course. From there, I think coding, BBSing, and email, forums, etc. is where I learned to just type what comes out my brain, for better or worse. Now it's like second nature. Plus overuse of the backspace key. ;)
You'd think one would pick it up from sheer constant exposure. I had all that in jr Hi, took typing again and again all thru the uhhh.. educational process. Alas, no progression in this case. I suppose I never really worked at it hard enough. And I got ticked because it "just came naturally" to so many others. :D

I was a lousy student, only prorgessing in those things for which I had an immediate practical use... So. I had an immediate practical use for typing. :?

Go figure... :lol: :oops:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”