Robolinux? What do you guys think?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
civfreak

Robolinux? What do you guys think?

Postby civfreak » 20 Feb 2014 05:54

http://www.robolinux.org/

I really don't like it when I hear someone say, "Runs all Windows programs" because it gives the wrong impression to newbies....also, he requires a 1. buck donation....I mean it's not much....but, what do you guys think?
Dell M6700 Laptop (where do I dump the spent fuel rods?)/Windows 8.1/SolydX x64

Orbmiser

Re: Robolinux? What do you guys think?

Postby Orbmiser » 20 Feb 2014 07:36

Based on: Debian (Stable) & Gnome
One of the project's more interesting features is the availability of a pre-configured virtual machine support pack with Windows XP or Windows 7 - a VirtualBox setup which allows the user to install and run the Windows operating system seamlessly alongside Robolinux.
Don't see the point as Solyd gives me more choices with KDE & Xfce and based on Testing with fresher Desktop,Kernel and Apps. And already have win7 running in virtualbox full screen on dual display setup.

KDE vs. Windows? Nope running both by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Unless there is something else I'm missing about it's advantages over SolydXK?
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

civfreak

Postby civfreak » 20 Feb 2014 07:59

Agreed...I don't either. Maybe it's just the presentation of it I don't like. idk....

cobb

Postby cobb » 22 Feb 2014 04:20

You got my curiousity up so I had to go look.. :lol:

I agree it is rather misleading on the VM support but what was more of a turn off was their contact/support page. Took a look at their forum and only 29 posts. Not sure how long they've been running but I saw a couple of "gentle" leads to purchasing a support package for a year for $80. They have phone/email support for $24.95 for 30 minutes phone support, $49.95 for an hour of phone support etc. Although there is a link to the Debian support forums snce it's a Debian build.

So yeah it's only $1 to get the software but if you have more than a basic issue with using it, it'll cost a bit to get help. nothing FOSSy going on there. No thanks.
Technology slave by coincidence.. Linux user by choice.

civfreak

Postby civfreak » 22 Feb 2014 05:02

There is a link to download Robolinux without any donation....you have to start off at the forums and click backwards...it's kind of hidden.

This is an interesting dialogue btw (if you're bored) http://sourceforge.net/p/robolinux/disc ... /21ea9d0d/

He does say he'll build custom driver blobs as part of the support. idk...it's not something I would ever need but maybe there's a market..... ;)

GDI

Postby GDI » 23 Feb 2014 18:42

I was curious about it, so I downloaded the iso about a week ago and tried out the live session. I didnt really experience anything outstanding about it that made it really stand out above and beyond any other distro that I have tried. I am a Linux newbie so I may be missing something, but it really didnt appeal that much to me, and it really didnt seem to beable to accomplish some amazing feat that cant be accomplished by any other distro. Not knocking it as it may be the "cat's meow" for some. I just dont care for gnome anymore as Xfce seems to be my go to DE.

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”