Looks like SolydXK is going be interviewed.

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Orbmiser

Looks like SolydXK is going be interviewed.

Postby Orbmiser » 24 Feb 2014 23:30

Ongoing discussion in Linux Action Show about doing a Review and Interview.
Looks like it's in the works.
comment.jpeg
comment.jpeg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Congrats and no fixed date yet. Tho I imagine the SolydXK team will be interviewed and the Distro reviewed on the show.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

ScottQuier

Re: Looks like SolydXK is going be interviewed.

Postby ScottQuier » 25 Feb 2014 00:31

Well, that's cool enough!
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

kbd

Postby kbd » 25 Feb 2014 01:20

Cool indeed :-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Feb 2014 05:21

I get feelings about things. Call it instinct, superstition, whatever. I had that feeling about Solyd that I had when I encountered Mepis and antiX. And above it all, Debian. It has to do with the type of thinking/mindset behind the creation of distributions such as these, wherein the creators and the communities are truly serious about doing something good for the right reasons. After all these years in the computing world -- finally something I can get behind, and feel good about being involved in, even just as a user.

And I'm a broken record, so I'm shutting up.

Y'all deserve this, hope it goes down soon.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 25 Feb 2014 11:44

fleabus wrote: And I'm a broken record, so I'm shutting up.
But ... but ..... but .... we like to hear you ramble on! :lol: :lol: :D
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 25 Feb 2014 13:15

ScottQuier wrote:But ... but ..... but .... we like to hear you ramble on! :lol: :lol: :D
And I do love to do it! Be careful what you wish for! Actually I can't seem to help it. :lol:

I immensely enjoy the philosophical debates over at forums.debian.net, and debianuserforums.org, or wherever I can find them. :)

Those oldtimers over there are truly amazing. Some really good writers. Been spending most of my time reading lately, so I guess I haven't been around as much of late. For me one of the nicest things about getting older is vastly increased interest in knowIedge for its own sake. Been perusing Martin Krafft, the Debian Admin manuals and LFS, sort of getting to the nuts and bolts of things. Yeesh. Maybe some of it will even stick... :lol:

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 25 Feb 2014 15:48

ScottQuier wrote:
fleabus wrote: And I'm a broken record, so I'm shutting up.
But ... but ..... but .... we like to hear you ramble on! :lol: :lol: :D
we do! ;)
bliss of ignorance

GDI

Postby GDI » 25 Feb 2014 23:06

This is neat that SolydXK may get interviewed. It can definitely help spread the word about SolydXK and steer more future users and helpers its way.

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 25 Feb 2014 23:57

Ongoing discussion in Linux Action Show about doing a Review and Interview.
Looks like it's in the works.
This is good news. Another chance to show the diversity of options on offer here. Hope it pans out.

Reminds me of "Marketing 101" - identify an opportunity and grab it.

There is an immense opportunity coming in the near future - the final EOL (End Of Life) for WindowsXP!!

This will be huge. Any idea how many indivisuals and businesses are running XP? Millions!! Windows 8 is generally despised by business as its paradigm is all wrong for office production, so many stayed with XP. All those will be looking for something new when support runs out soon. I saw a prediction the other day that between 10 and 15 per cent of all XP users will seriously consider an immediate switch to Linux.

Marketing 101 above guys. I would be on the emails to all the bloggers out there who you think will be discussing this XP passing and make sure they know that there are other options in Linux other than Mint, Ubuntu & the other "big boys". Get the word out to those who will be "guiding" the look for something new. That may well include current Windows bloggers and sites.

cheers,
greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Mar 2014 15:43

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 01 Mar 2014 17:42

I don't think 10-15 percent of all XP users will switch to linux. Most diehard XP users that I've spoken with have said they will stay with XP after Microsoft discontinues support for XP this April.

The hospital where I have my "tests and body work" done on every few months, the terminals running at all of their stations are all using XP and the hospital administrators I know and spoke with said they're staying with XP until at least 2015 because of the specialized programs they use on XP that don't run on Windows 7 or 8. My guess is these specialized programs don't run on linux either.

My guess is when April 2014 comes around, XP will still be running on 25% of the world's computers which are using Windows.

Swamper

Postby Swamper » 01 Mar 2014 19:44

Both aappear to be excellent PR/marketing opportunities. Good luck!

Meanwhile, I've marked my calendar and am looking forward to viewing both programs.

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 03 Mar 2014 08:38

I am glad LAS will finally be covering SolydXK, and hope the interview and review of the distro will be thorough and not rushed. Does anyone know if they are going to cover the Business edition as well? Since the guys at LAS have switched over to running Arch full-time one of the criticisms will probably be not having the latest & greatest like Arch offers since SolydXK (home edition) is semi-rolling release. Chris especially is bitten by the gotta-have-it-now bug, Matt not so much.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 03 Mar 2014 19:29

Well watching their Linux Action Show as well as thier Linux Unplugged & Unfiltered. They always seem to cover questions that the dev's wish to answer. Asking them what information they would like to share with the audience.

As the shows are not a fixed time. Have watched shows that were from 59mins to 1hr. 27mins depending on content. They usually start a sub-reddit thread also asking individuals what questions they would like to ask.
Portfolio
Flickr

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 05 Mar 2014 23:21

So we gotta wait till the 16th? I'm just not that patient! I wanna see that review now! lol
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

computergeek1234

Postby computergeek1234 » 12 Mar 2014 08:21

well just watched the March 11th edition of Linux Unplugged over at jupiter broadcasting.com and the host Chris Fisher said that they are going to do a software review of Solydxk on the Linux Action Show this Sunday and have the developers on Unplugged next Tuesday. Also they asked the audience to download a copy of Solydx and email in their reviews and questions to the show. It apperars they are going to focus on the free home edition of Solydx . That is not surprising as the co-host Matt Hartley works at Datamation and just got done writing an article explaining how the xfce desktop is better than either KDE or Gnome. (his opinion not Mine!so no flames please) . as a avid user of solydx and a long time fan of the show I plan on being in the live chatroom during the taping of the show next Sunday to maybe help answer questions (if i know the answers) and if need be to defend the honor of solydxk linux and the community.. Also since I was one of the indivauls who helped set up this scenerio , I thought it only fitting and proper to do so.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 12 Mar 2014 08:34

Well will take it for the positive advertisement for the SolydXK. And welcome any attention that SolydXK is getting.
But am seeing more & more slant towards Xfce and less on KDE in reviews all over the net. Like 2-3 to 1?

With Chris's affinity for KDE would have been nice if He picked up the KDE version and gave it a whirl with Matt doing his take on Xfce. That way viewers would get a full range of what Solyd has to offer. As if I was a viewer and not interested in Xfce then may just pass by the show without giving it a view.

Ohhh well just happy that SolydXK team is getting the recognition for all the Hard Work they have invested.
And justly deserved! ;)
Portfolio
Flickr

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 16 Mar 2014 06:19

Orbmiser wrote: With Chris's affinity for KDE would have been nice if He picked up the KDE version and gave it a whirl with Matt doing his take on Xfce. That way viewers would get a full range of what Solyd has to offer. As if I was a viewer and not interested in Xfce then may just pass by the show without giving it a view.
I agree, SolydK should get spotlighted as well being half of the SolydXK distro. Chris tends to flip back and forth between Gnome & KDE with Gnome usually winning out. Back when Bryan Lunduke was cohosting about the only KDE implementation they both really ever liked was Suse, but neither ever stayed on Suse long and were back to Ubuntu.

computergeek1234

Postby computergeek1234 » 16 Mar 2014 12:38

well the big day is finally here.

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 16 Mar 2014 19:38

Well, Right as the SolydXK piece came up, Google decided to go down and take time warner with it, so we did not get to see the piece live. Too much buffering and then completely went down. Thanks Google!

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”