Interesting info on the first LMDE (201009)

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
GeneC

Interesting info on the first LMDE (201009)

Postby GeneC » 27 Feb 2014 18:39

Since SolydXK has its roots in LMDE, thought this was interesting history... 8-)

I remember installing this first .iso in Oct of 2010 (seems like yesterday). Only 32 bit then.

(click link below for Blog post)
Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

and

A system based on Debian

Short Excerpt
Linux Mint Debian (201009)

Written by Clem on Tuesday, September 7th, 2010

Today is very important for Linux Mint. It’s one day to remember in the history of our project as we’re about to maintain a new distribution, a rolling one, which promises to be faster, more responsive and on which we’re less reliant on upstream components. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with a Debian base, which we transformed into a live media and on top of which we added a new installer. It’s rougher and in some aspects not as user-friendly as our other editions, it’s very young but it will improve continuously and rapidly, and it brings us one step closer to a situation where we’re fully in control of the system without being impacted by upstream decisions.

LMDE also represents an alternative, with the same desktop, the same functionality, but a different base, and a difference in hardware support and compatibility. In the scope of our distribution, and our role, which is to provide a modern and elegant operating system, it’s important to give people a choice. We did it with many upstream components. The Software Manager gives users an easy choice when it comes to selecting their favorite applications. We maintain editions for alternative desktops such as KDE, Xfce, Fluxbox and LXDE. And we also provide a choice between 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. From a technical point of view, a package base is a huge part of an operating system. It makes the system using it a derivative of the distribution maintaining it, something that is both based and fully compatible with it. From a user and project point of view though, this is yet another component, and like any other, it can be changed and replaced with alternatives. The Linux Mint desktop which you’ve come to enjoy on top of an Ubuntu base, can be ported to alternative package bases. By the past, I expressed my enthusiasm about this and my interest in experimenting with Debian, Fedora and our own independent base. Work started on Debian about 3 years ago, it was hesitant and we didn’t have the resources to make it a priority. After the release of Linux Mint 9 LTS, we decided to set some time aside for this project, and we’re now proud to announce that Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is out, and available for download!

Welcome to Linux Mint Debian. I’d like to thank all the testers and our development team, Ikey Doherty in particular, for the work that they put in it. I personally had a lot of fun working on this project, and I hope you’ll enjoy this new distribution.

Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
At the moment, it comes as a 32-bit live DVD with a Gnome desktop.
The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.
The comments are interesting..
My personal beliefs are that it went downhill after Ikey left, and they decided to go to UP's (which in itself is not a bad idea) but then the UP's seemed to get put on a back burner mostly because of the work on Cinnamon.. :?

With the direction that Ubuntu is taking (that many folks do not seem to like), and the seeming pressure that Ubuntu is putting on Mint. :arrow: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canonica ... 6770.shtml I wonder about the future of Mint altogether..
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

kurotsugi

Re: Interesting info on the first LMDE (201009)

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Feb 2014 21:05

that's an old article. here's the newest one. http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20140224#news
Last week Jonathan Riddell decided to clear up matters and posted a blog with regards to Ubuntu, Kubuntu and licensing. He wrote: "So let me say clearly, no license is needed to make a derivative distribution of Kubuntu. All you need to do is remove obvious uses of the Kubuntu trademark. Any suggestion that somehow compiling the packages causes Canonical to own extra copyrights is nonsense. Any suggestion that there are unspecified trademarks that need a license is untrue."

Deleted User 2763

Re: Interesting info on the first LMDE (201009)

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 27 Feb 2014 23:32

As for LMDE, I changed sources.list to track SID with it. (I did it on one pc with SolydXK) instead of UP and it worked fine.
I got in trouble when intermingled the equivalent of apt-get upgrade instead apt-get dist-upgrade and I ended up borking it and re-imaging.
I have since re-imaged the SolydXK that tracked SID, but remaining one is using UP, with little or no problems.
-Hinto

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”