The New Face Of KDE

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
zerozero

The New Face Of KDE

Postby zerozero » 03 Mar 2014 23:00

KDE's Visual Design Group
This is the work blog for the KDE Visual Design Group a group of dedicated designers striving to improve community participation in design for KDE as well as design work in general for KDE applications and Plasma.
KDE is renewing it's interface: new icons, new theme, new wallpapers; most probably redoing some areas as well (systemsettings, GHNS, ...)

the project is still very young (about one month at the time of writing) and will be/is collaborative/community driven
(this post is a very good reading http://wheeldesign.blogspot.se/2014/03/ ... ort-5.html as are actually most of the others)

the LAS sub-reddit Q&A has some interesting additional information as well
>> link here <<
bliss of ignorance

Orbmiser

Re: The New Face Of KDE

Postby Orbmiser » 04 Mar 2014 04:36

Thanks for posting as was considering doing so later in the week.
And glad to here that KDE is rolling up their sleeves.
And will be interesting to see where the rabbit hole goes.
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 04 Mar 2014 05:53

Orbmiser wrote:Thanks for posting as was considering doing so later in the week.
And glad to here that KDE is rolling up their sleeves.
And will be interesting to see where the rabbit hole goes.
Well, if KDE4 original revamp ( aka 'metaphor' Neo) was anything to go by; down into the sewers for a bit until Morpheus & Trinity come along and rescue it?! :P

greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

RalphB

Postby RalphB » 05 Mar 2014 16:30

I am just hoping this wont be another gnome shell debacle.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 05 Mar 2014 18:14

RalphB wrote:I am just hoping this wont be another gnome shell debacle.
I'm personally pretty excited about this. I was recently forced to close my G+ due to Info Overload (my own fault, bringing in too much stuff) -- anyway I was following the devs, and their outlook is worlds different from that of the Gnome folks. I'll re-establish a (somewhat quieter) G+ soon and get back out there. Not really necessary I suppose, but lotsa techie stuff is on G+

(Googlization. Yeesh. As soon as you log into YouTube, ya got a G+. Grrrr...) :roll:

realityDroid

Postby realityDroid » 05 Mar 2014 23:17

Eh, seems a bit like KDE is trying to conform to what mobile OS devs (and Microsoft's Windows 8 team) deem to be a good looking interface. I don't really want my desktop to remind me of Windows 9x with flat and blocky windows. I like the curved corners on my windows. However, if they could fix a few of the underlying technical problems, that would sure be nice.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

http://realitydroid.net/Signature.txt

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 06 Mar 2014 15:14

realityDroid wrote:However, if they could fix a few of the underlying technical problems, that would sure be nice.
It's a kinda scary situation, yes. I'm trying to have a little faith... :lol: I also hope they fix the techinical issues. I'm a function over form type, and so my reaction to, for example, LibreOffice crashes over nothing more than a theming issue is quite strong. <outraged> Crashes due to theming of all things??? Oh Please. </outrage>

<sigh...> Easy for me to sit here and say this, I know they have a tough job trying to make it all fit together, what with the myriad apps and toolkits being used, AND third party theming, not to mention all that skanky hardware out there... :? Some of that skanky hardware is mine... :D

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 12 Mar 2014 18:13

realityDroid wrote:Eh, seems a bit like KDE is trying to conform to what mobile OS devs (and Microsoft's Windows 8 team) deem to be a good looking interface. I don't really want my desktop to remind me of Windows 9x with flat and blocky windows. I like the curved corners on my windows. However, if they could fix a few of the underlying technical problems, that would sure be nice.
You hit the nail on the head. 1/2 of me likes the idea that KDE is wanting to redo/fix things and add features. But the other 1/2 of me is hoping it doesn't end up a combination of Windows 8 (which is what led me to going 100% Linux and KDE in the first place) and Unity (which I tried on Ubuntu and hated it).

I want my task bar, start menu, widgets, desktop icons and quick launch bar. No, not want. I *need* these in order to use the computer effectively. My laptop is for development, testing, personal use, entertainment, everything. It's not an Android Phone where I could play a game while waiting, look at shopping lists, etc. My laptop needs to do much more. And not look like cr4p since I have to stare at it all day for work.

I'm hoping KDE does the right thing and keeps those items as default and improves on things. Like a better (more accurate) weather widget, more customizations for lock, login, plymouth, splash screens. And be able to theme GTK and other non-kde apps in the KDE theme colors/style... (Or is that even possible, technically?) Or at least have a better GTK theme chooser for apps.

We'll see how it goes. I really like KDE and hate to have to switch.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Mar 2014 16:23

Well, to put it delicately, the point has been made quite often that it's more fun (read "sexier") to make new things and reinvent wheels than it is to fix existing issues, so yes, it's kinda scary.. :) I suppose we'll see how it goes. One hopes for the best. ;)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2014 17:05

I agree with those who would rather see bugs worked out. But if we are working on changes, I hope they address conformity of different programs. It seems that some things are not always consistent from one program to another. I hope they look at the success of other desktops like XFCE and realize that people enjoy clean and simple interfaces too and I hope they make an effort to keep things clean and not try to make everything look like a tablet.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”