Introduction To Linux Mooc

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
kbd

Introduction To Linux Mooc

Postby kbd » 06 Mar 2014 17:07

Orbmiser

Re: Introduction To Linux Mooc

Postby Orbmiser » 06 Mar 2014 20:54

Thanks for the links and signed up!
Course.jpeg
Course.jpeg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Bring it ON! :o
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 06 Mar 2014 22:08

@Orb, Are you auditing, or going for the certificate?

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 06 Mar 2014 22:10

+1
many thanks for sharing your knowledge

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 06 Mar 2014 22:33

fleabus wrote:@Orb, Are you auditing, or going for the certificate?
Depends how much they charge for the cert. As on very limited income.
Not auditing plan to take the course and finish it. Just may not afford to have a cert print.
Portfolio
Flickr

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 06 Mar 2014 22:41

Orbmiser wrote:Depends how much they charge for the cert. .
Yes... Me too on that. Not sure if I'm reading it right, but looks as though you can get a printable "Honor Code" cert free, and have to pay only if you want the verified one with your photo & ID...

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 06 Mar 2014 22:43

fleabus wrote:
Orbmiser wrote:Depends how much they charge for the cert. .
Yes... Me too on that. Not sure if I'm reading it right, but looks as though you can get a printable "Honor Code" cert free, and have to pay only if you want the verified with your photo & ID...
Good to know can get a cert for free. And also wondering about further courses on this path.
Also want to look into the Ai courses because I'm building a Linux Skynet Global Cloud Matrix soon! :o
Portfolio
Flickr

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Mar 2014 08:46

Signed up as well!
Should be fun.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Mar 2014 09:07

Just blogged it: http://solydxk.nl/free-introductory-linux-course/
I hope that a lot of people will sign up.

[EDIT]
Here's an edX demo, for those who are new to MOOC, and edX (like me): https://www.edx.org/course/edx/edx-edxd ... -demo-1038

SolydXK needs you!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 07 Mar 2014 09:25

Wow, they have all kinds of stuff! This is wonderful, I had no inkling edX even existed.

I'm definitely going to sign up too, but unsure as to whether I'll audit or commit to trying for a certificate.

My only concern is scheduling. If I decide to try for a certificate, will I need to be in front of the computer at set times for lectures and tests? I can't commit to a set time of day in advance.

@Schoelje, Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

Edit: Well, this helps. From the FAQ:
Q: What time is the class?

A: EdX courses take place at your convenience. Lectures and assignments are available 24 hours a day, which means you can watch videos and complete work whenever you have time. Simply log in to your course and work through the course material. While assignments and exams often have due dates, these are designed to offer enough lead time that you can easily schedule your work.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Mar 2014 12:41

I remembered an article on OpenSource.com about this subject:

The disruptive business model for higher education is open source

SolydXK needs you!

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 07 Mar 2014 12:46

As you are all Linux Fanatics I thought you would all spurn the certificates and enjoy the enhanced wisdom.

I don't think MIT gives certificates I think you have to pay for a Pass Letter. FutureLearning, the UK look alike, ask for folding type money for a certificate but I would not value it as it talks about 40% which when I went to school was borderline caning!

Currently I am trying to learn about Android Apps with FutureLearning but I will certainly have a look at the Linux course.

Be aware that the courses can vary greatly in their quality. MIT 6.00X Programming required some knowledge of Python - that was an understatement. I looked at another one from Harvard and that appeared to be run by Post Graduate Students - so caveat emptor but if you only have to pay for an optional certificate the price is right.

martin welsh

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 07 Mar 2014 13:31

mhwelsh wrote:...and enjoy the enhanced wisdom.
And so I shall. Auditing is convenient, to be sure, but shooting for free "Honor Code" certs, while they may have no value as uni credit, can certainly serve up a good ol' warm and fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. For the most part you're right. I'm old and retired, and nowadays pursue knowledge for its own sake.
mhwelsh wrote:...but if you only have to pay for an optional certificate the price is right.
And there you have it. Actually I'm glad to have found out about moocs at this late date. Gives me something to do in my retirement -- as does my late-in-life adoption of Linux. For one such as myself this kind of thing is ideal.

Interestingly, my daughter, a real live breathing Young Person (age 30) also knew nothing of this (knock me over with a feather), and is extremely interested in their non-techie-type offerings.

-- Dave

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 07 Mar 2014 13:41

Schoelje wrote:I remembered an article on OpenSource.com about this subject:

The disruptive business model for higher education is open source
Definitely something to think about. I daresay these happenings will upset some applecarts in the halls and quads of staid academia. I hope so. The comments were also very interesting, some good points made. A lot of change is going on, in both online and standard educational models. Everything is in flux, lotta growing pains as accepted mores change, not just in education. Interesting times.

[/soapbox]

Back to my cave.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 07 Mar 2014 16:56

There is now access to a lot of learning largely for free but as suggested whether the financial costs will be sustainable remains to be seen. My initial adventures were with MIT where you had free access to tutorials and class notes and it definitely wetted your appetite. edx is a polished version with the free access that you had before and MIT have been joined by lots of other establishments which are making use of the edx infrastructure with their teaching. Bombay/Mumbai University!

Another source of free learning is the Khan Academy which is a different flavour but they, or really I suppose it is he, Mr Khan, has attracted a lot of business money.

Any way more power to their elbows - free learning for all!

My little girl is now 56.

martin welsh

kbd

Postby kbd » 07 Mar 2014 16:59

I had actually looked at this course in the past, and was surprised to see it available for free now online. A $2500 Linux course for free is a great deal. Looks like lots of interest in it :-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 07 Mar 2014 17:52

mhwelsh wrote:My little girl is now 56.
:D

She's a year younger than I am... My 30 year old acts as if she's my mom and I'm the kid.
She may not be too far wrong! :lol:

What a kick if I'm still around when she hits my age.
I have faith that she'll have decided what she wants to do with herself by then... :D
And will at least have availed herself of some of these opportunities.

-- Dave

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Mar 2014 17:56

I seem to have had some good arguments because my wife is thinking about taking the course herself. I had one condition: if she follows the classes, she has to sign up this forum as "TheWife" :D

SolydXK needs you!

kbd

Postby kbd » 07 Mar 2014 18:04

Good for you Schoelje! As long as my wife's computer works, she could care less about 'how' it works lol!
I think these online courses are great. A friend mentioned them to me awhile back. I looked for something about Linux or coding that seemed interesting, but could find nothing at that time. I don't know if I will audit or go for the certificate, but it looks like a win-win either way :-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 07 Mar 2014 18:14

Schoelje wrote:if she follows the classes, she has to sign up this forum as "TheWife" :D
That's great! :D Hope she decides to come hang out.
"See that guy calls himself fleabus? Pay him no mind whatsoever..." :lol:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”