Introduction To Linux Mooc

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
smitty1

Re: Introduction To Linux Mooc

Postby smitty1 » 13 Mar 2014 23:04

hoping to remember some of it, as the leftover neurons also experiencing incipient Goo-reclamation syndrome...
:lol:
May I recommend cherrytree, It is now my new brain :oops:

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 14 Mar 2014 02:26

smitty1 wrote:May I recommend cherrytree, It is now my new brain :oops:
I often muse on that subject. In these days of severe info overload, am I not consigning parts of my memory elsewhere? Developing a habit of deferring to the net instead of actually trying to remember something using the brain cell? Substitution of net for memory? I've developed this concurrent habit of dictating quick notes into the phone, then having the devil's own time locating them afterwards, or even forgetting that I've made notes and looking up things all over again. :? :oops:

ukbrian

Postby ukbrian » 14 Mar 2014 06:34

smitty1 wrote:
hoping to remember some of it, as the leftover neurons also experiencing incipient Goo-reclamation syndrome...
+1
Runs on Windows plus Linux and very actively developed.
I keep my cherrytree data files in my dropbox folder so all my OS's use the same data files.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 14 Mar 2014 10:35

ukbrian wrote:
smitty1 wrote:
+1
Runs on Windows plus Linux and very actively developed.
I keep my cherrytree data files in my dropbox folder so all my OS's use the same data files.
Had to throw my 2 cents in. That's about all I have these days.
Anyway I used Cherry tree for a while. Good product. But I found myself wanting to get my info on my phone, at work, at someone else's house. This was becoming difficult so I switched to Evernote. Now I can get to and update info from anywhere. Looks like evernote is my friend.
Thanks
Dan

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Mar 2014 03:39

I guess I'm a little late signing up for the course. It is to begin "3rd quarter 2014". Verified certs are over $200! So I am going for the free cert. I guess one can change that if I save up but for an "Intro" to Linux course I don't know if it's needed. I may check what else they have too. I had taken courses at ed2go.com online as they are affiliated with our town's school district (as well as others). But they didn't have anything for Linux that I remember.

As for CherryTree, I just recently discovered that and that's where all my code snippets are, and I use it to store notes for project documentation, project planning, everything! It's a must-have! In Windows I used to use ActionOutline (purchased version). I think CherryTree is actually much better.

GDI

Postby GDI » 17 Mar 2014 13:39

Well, I signed up yesterday but waited a little too late. :cry: Now when someone signs up they only have two options: audit the course or verified certificate. When the announcement was first made, a person had three choices: audit the course, honor certificate, or verified certificate. I would have gone with the honor certificate if still available, but I went with the audit cause I cant justify the money for the verified certificate. Damn my procastination! :x

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Mar 2014 13:50

You can still get honor certificate. When I signed up I went to verified and while signing up there they hid it as a small check box after a paragraph or two describing the certificates. You click the honor certificate box and then click to continue and you can get it that way. I think you can still change to verified and then check honor cert if you're auditing? I think the option to change from audit to certificate is in the dashboard where your courses are listed.

GDI

Postby GDI » 17 Mar 2014 14:11

RavenLX wrote:You can still get honor certificate. When I signed up I went to verified and while signing up there they hid it as a small check box after a paragraph or two describing the certificates. You click the honor certificate box and then click to continue and you can get it that way. I think you can still change to verified and then check honor cert if you're auditing? I think the option to change from audit to certificate is in the dashboard where your courses are listed.
Thanks for the info! Yep, logged into my account, did the upgrade option to verified and found the check box for honor certicate in the question/info section about the fees. It is well hidden. Got it done, thanks! :D

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Mar 2014 19:08

Glad to hear that it works even after signup/registration. I wasn't sure about after signup if it would still be there but took a guess (as I mentioned) that it might. Hopefully others will be encouraged to sign up as well.

Looks like it'll be starting in the fall? I have to look on their site and find out just when "3rd quarter" is.

mhwelsh

Postby mhwelsh » 03 Apr 2014 11:47

Linux course appears to be popular. > 100,000 sign ups - that should bring down the price of completion certificates!

Other info;

"
This Thursday, April 3, 2014 from 11:00 AM EDT to 12:00 PM EDT, we're holding a live Twitter chat with Linux Foundation Executive Director, Jim Zemlin (@jzemlin) and edX CEO, Anant Agarwal (@agarwaledu). Ask your questions on Thursday by logging into Twitter and using the hashtag #edXLinuxChat. "

Sorry it is a bit late but I did not get it till 9.00pm yesterday.

martin welsh

kbd

Postby kbd » 03 Apr 2014 21:37

Yes, 100,000 sign ups in less than a month--lots of interest in Linux out there :-)

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 15 Apr 2014 06:05

Linux hasn't started yet. But got an email on some other's I found interesting and signed up.
https://www.edx.org/

Top 2 start this month and the one on justice started last week so need to light the fires!
And not a cent spent! The Best kind of Knowledge! :shock:

Couldn't help myself and added "SPU30x Super-Earths And Life" starts middle of May.
Super-Earths And Life is a course about alien life, how we search for it,
and what this teaches us about our place in the universe.
But still waiting for my original intent 3rd quarter.
Intro to Linux.jpeg
Intro to Linux.jpeg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
https://www.edx.org/
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 17 Apr 2014 05:18

:shock: Can't turn this one down even being as busy as I am, maybe I can dig out some minutes here and there to do this one, but it's something that looks too interesting to avoid.
Siging up now for it.
Sam

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Apr 2014 05:24

I'm wondering if the moderators here would make a forum area for the course so those of us from here can compare notes and discuss the lessons? I think it would be quite informative! If EdX already has a forum, hopefully folks would use their same alias there as here so we know who is from here? I'm signed in there as RavenLX so folks can find me. :)

samriggs

Postby samriggs » 17 Apr 2014 05:28

I just signed up with the same username as here and found the honor part under veirfied.
Checking out computer sciences first and skipping the first one for now.
Thanks for the tip Raven much appreciated.
Now I have to find time to do it along with everything else :lol:
Sam

"Windows, the worst system for too much money, Linux, the best system for free"
SolydK 64bit SolydX 32bit
Registered Linux User #545430

m00se

Postby m00se » 17 Apr 2014 05:41

I signed up too!
I am ak_m00se over there as some nefarious imposter is squatting on my moniker! :twisted:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”