So what's your take on Manjaro?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Orbmiser

So what's your take on Manjaro?

Postby Orbmiser » 22 Apr 2014 07:11

First 24hrs. with Manjaro KDE and still tuning & Tweaking.

Manjaro KDE Arch Dual Dispaly Desktop by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Manjaro KDE Arch Dual Dispaly Desktop Apps by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Manjaro KDE Arch Dual Dispaly Desktop Menu by Orbmiser, on Flickr

Couple of things I didn't like.

Main issue was installation. As I triple boot have Winxp on Sda1 Win7 Sda2 with loader installed on Sda1 a E:data partition on sda3 and my SolydK / on sda5 /home sda6 swap sda7

Every distro I manually install I always have the grub installed on sda5 with root. As have EasyBCD bootloader in windows to configure and add linux sda5 grub to that. And adding new distro's to those partitions means no extra work on the windows bootloader it just loads the grub installed on sda5 /.

And gives me that double protection against Boking Grub ? ! :shock:
As can't afford to mess around during the day. As use for work and contact with clients. So happy with dual boot menus that add a whole 5 seconds to the boot process. But even if I mess up linux and grub. Still have a bootable to OS machine.

But not manjaro ohh they allow you to select installing grub on other but with text "Not recommended" but they let me select it. And does install grub on sda5. It even shows during the install that it is installing grub2 to sda5. But after install is done and wanting to reboot. My win7 loader is wiped. and left with an unbootable system. Verified twice that is it's behaviour. So posted in the manjaro forums. And all I got is I should be installing grub on 1st partition and isn't good practice to install on any other. Since when? as any other distro's I tried never had an issue with it.

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=12779.0

But fixed the issue repairing mbr and everything went fine to bootup. Bunch of updates. Second round there was a corrupted trust key in pacman that required reading solution in the forums. The Documention and HowTo's are first rate if wanting to learn a arch-based distro.

1) No yaWP weather applet and even adding yougart and Aur there where 2 yaWP weather package choices and neither installed properly both broken. And didn't have the skills to build and compile my own. No biggie they had a Yahoo weather one. But don't like it as much.
2) Like using Apper I know a lot hate as isn't as flexible synaptic but like the integration with KDE. Manjaro's Octopi still growing pains and that ugly 1990's pacman icon. Pacman much more powerful and visual feedback CLI based.
3) Whole Development menu chock full of Qt tools which I'll never use. And a dconf editor in KDE menus?

Like the homerun kicker menu will have to switch to when back to SolydK. Manjaro repo's had same or newer versions of my main software darktable,Calibre are the biggies for me.

Overall a great Distro for those wanting to dip the toes in Arch. Tho my inkling that isn't for me. As I don't really want to learn a lot of linux or the heavy terminal use to maintain a system. As a few month's ago I sat at the computer and took 10-15 seconds to remember how to spell "any"? Geeze on my last dozen of neurons so heavy keyboard or cryptic terminal commands isn't my cup of tea. As wouldn't remember the next time I needed them anyway.

Tho I do see and understand the power behind arch. I will never have the time or desire to get down in it's innards as on borrowed time for other endeavours in my feable old age! :?
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

kurotsugi

Re: So what's your take on Manjaro?

Postby kurotsugi » 22 Apr 2014 07:39

my last attempt to try manjaro also ruin my dualboot setup :lol:

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 22 Apr 2014 07:42

kurotsugi wrote:my last attempt to try manjaro also ruin my dualboot setup :lol:
Yep all that is needed is a Windows 7 boot disk and you can enter into repair mode and fix mbr.
Most tho prefer to install grub on 1st partition as grub will pick up windows and added to grub.
But I prefer the dual boot menu's and not touching my 1st with win7 loader on it.
May not be the right way. But is my way. :o
Portfolio
Flickr

Swamper

Postby Swamper » 23 Apr 2014 00:20

I've had mixed results with Manjaro. It was the first non Ubuntu distro that I successfully installed and ran on my old MacBook and not so old iMac. Xfce ran great on both as did Openbox. At some point I borked the system on the laptop and decided to reinstall with the newer version of Openbox and suddenly I had problems booting. I also tried with Xfce again and that was wasn't working right either. I switched back to Mint and, when I got a new laptop, CrunchBang. Every now and then I'd tried Manjaro again, but each time the distro seemed a little buggier in different ways to me--even when I tried in VB. :o It also wouldn't boot on my iMac, regardless which installer I tried. :?

Meanwhile, I've grown to love Debian and Debian-based distros. Solyd X is my main distro on both my lap- and desktop, but I also run Debian and Debian testing, as well as Vsido, on VB.

That said, I think Manjaro has much potential and provides a good niche for people who want to explore Arch without diving into an Arch install from scratch.

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 23 Apr 2014 00:51

Yep I get that buggy feel from Manjaro too! :o
Also find their update notices way to confusing multiple kernels and multiple way of Pacman and Octopi this or that.

Do notice it sure shuts down and boots up about 30% faster to Desktop! and maybe stick with it another day.
Or if I start to go thru withdrawals tonight and need a Fix may go ahead and backup the Manjaro and restore my body chemistry with a SolydK fix Tonight! :?

Portfolio
Flickr

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 24 Apr 2014 04:23

I'm afraid my situation is a lil bit more complicated than that :3
nvm. it already got fixed. as for this, "Do notice it sure shuts down and boots up about 30% faster to Desktop!". I'm a lil bit curious about it. my debian setup with systemd somehow always faster than manjaro by 50%. 27seconds vs 13seconds.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 24 Apr 2014 14:20

I haven't had any problems with Manjaro Xfce, but if you don't like Manjaro, you could try Bluestar Linux. It is also based on Arch and has KDE or E-18(no Xfce)(sad). I tried it and found it would not install with Unetbootin, but was able to boot(Live-USB) with the newest version of Rufus(1.4.7). It has to re-name the flash drive to Arch? But you can always change that back later when you reformat the pendrive. I'm not comfortable with KDE so just moving the panel to the bottom was a challenge for me. I also changed to classic menu, but it was in the center of the panel instead of the left corner and I could not figure out how to move it. It has lots of Conky type things. Everything seemed to work and the Wallpapers were very pretty. Should have taken a screenshot.
Going to take a quick look at the E-18 version later.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Apr 2014 17:01

Tried Manjaro Xfce back in the hopping days, following along with Spatry's Man-Haro Maina thing :D I had some fun, Definitely a good way to try Arch-based without going thru an install of Mother Arch. Never had issues with grub multiboot which included win7, got lucky I guess.. Also thought about giving Chakra a try, never got around to it. Wound up coming back to Debian and Solyd, for most of the reasons mentioned above. :) I guess I always do that. Familiarity, comfort, makes more sense to me, heck I don't know. Just feels better here... :mrgreen:

Orbmiser

Postby Orbmiser » 24 Apr 2014 20:22

fleabus wrote: Wound up coming back to Debian and Solyd, for most of the reasons mentioned above. :) I guess I always do that. Familiarity, comfort, makes more sense to me, heck I don't know. Just feels better here... :mrgreen:
Yep might try out different flavors for curiosity sake.
But going to be difficult for any distro to sway me away for SolydK. :o
As back to SolydK now. I rolled back to production after giving SolydXK SID a go also which wasn't for me.

Portfolio
Flickr

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 25 Apr 2014 07:28

I played around with the Xfce and Cinnamon versions for a little. I have used Debian and Ubuntu for all my Linux needs so it was a change for me but in the end not worth it, Debian does all I need and SolydX makes Debian so easy to use that I can just enjoy my computer. I have got Cinnamon to work on SolydX pretty good but I have really fell hard for Xfce thanks to SolydX, it may not be as customizeble as Cinnamon or KDE but it can be made to look good and it works and gets out of my way. I love the idea of a rolling release but the way Manjaro does it, it leaves to much of a chance of breaking your system, I like the way SolydX handles updates, no need for a new install every 6 months or every 2 years like in Ubuntu but still up to date like Manjaro without the major problems and things breaking that you can get in Manjaro.

Raoldkel

Postby Raoldkel » 03 May 2014 19:07

Great distro but due to being bleeding edge, breaks are likely to happen often. Not recommended for novices.

Coastie

Postby Coastie » 04 May 2014 22:08

I use it because I am new regular Linux user since January. Tried Ubuntu several years ago on this computer. It set unused for several years. When I updated, it went to Unity desktop. I hate it. Tried Lubuntu but found it boring after a week or so. Used Linux Lite for about four months. Then wanted to get away from a Ubuntu based distro and wanted rolling release.

Using Manjaro Cup of Linux Edition because without Compiz. I like what I can do with Xfce desktop by itself. (Made it look like my iMac PPC.) I occasionally get a dancing cursor but no other problems because of the distro.

I am considering changing to SolydX because I like that it is an extra save rolling release and I am more familiar with Debian based distros.

If I change over to SolydX, it will be after it has a new installer with auto partitioning. Not brave enough to use current installer.

Recy

Postby Recy » 05 May 2014 04:24

I tried it once. I installed an application and it crashed, so I looked elsewhere. I know maybe that's too unfair, but I made my decision. I'd rather go back to fedora than try arch based stuff. At least fedora has a pretty awesome wine 64 configuration, with wow64, etc.

sobe

Postby sobe » 05 May 2014 11:19

I have used Manjaro a couple of times and liked it a lot. I also like Bridge Linux which is an Arch spin. My problem with Arch distros is that I am so use to apt after all these years, that it has become second nature. I just never really cared to take the time to get use to pacman and the Arch way of doing things. Some swear by Arch but I simply prefer Debian.
Distros currently and regularly on my machines...
Semplice, Linux Mint Xfce, SolydX,

PopeBishop

Postby PopeBishop » 18 May 2014 04:19

Manjaro was my first "hop" into a non Debian based OS, and I must say I was very impressed, BUT there were issues. I'm not one to stick with one desktop and since Manjaro offers so many "flavors" I had to try them all (Baskin Robbins style). I found XFCE and Openbox to be the best, while KDE to be the worst, which hurts me to my very core since it's my favorite by far.

No matter the environment I used some bug would creep up and cause the whole system to crash, or in one case while doing an update the installer hung borking the update and my system. There were a few times I was convinced my machine was possessed by some demon from the fifth level of hell, and sadly those were the times when I was using KDE. I must say I HATE octopi.
Recently I obtained a new computer (my old rig managed to catch on fire) and when I went to install Manjaro it wouldn't go past the "Manjro will load in X seconds" screen. I installed Mint and dug through the Manjaro forum/wiki, the Arch forum/wiki for an answer to my problem and discovered quite a few people had the same issue. I tired every recommendation offered, but alas nothing worked, and thus my time with Manjaro ended, not with a bang, but a whimper.

I wish the Manjaro team the best of luck, but as far as I'm concerned SolydXK is by far superior to anything they have to offer.
Proper password hygiene is key to a secure system

sobe

Postby sobe » 18 May 2014 12:15

PopeBishop wrote:There were a few times I was convinced my machine was possessed by some demon from the fifth level of hell
Haha, ^ that reminds me of my ex girlfriend. The chick just wasn't right. ;)
Distros currently and regularly on my machines...
Semplice, Linux Mint Xfce, SolydX,

kwisher

Postby kwisher » 19 May 2014 13:22

Sad to say that I have switched away from Debian/Ubuntu based distro's for all my workstations. I've been running Manjaro XFCE since October 2013 without a single issue. I like the fact if you stick to the stable repo's that most issues are vetted before being released for upgrade.

Code: Select all

[kevin@kww-tech ~]$ tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 | grep -i Created
Filesystem created:       Tue Oct  1 07:06:06 2013
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)

aaditya

Postby aaditya » 19 May 2014 17:48

I too have been using Manjaro for some time now, here are some pros for me:

1) Simplicity of system
2) pacman package manager

Pros of SolydX in my opinion:

1) Stability
2) Newb friendly + lots of software available from the repos.

Omega

Postby Omega » 15 Jun 2014 07:47

Pros over SolydXK: I found Nvidia drivers to be more up to date.
Cons over SolydXK: It eventually broke a few packages over an upgrade, and I already deleted my cache to save space.

Arch based distros are just too unstable for my taste, but Debian Testing is too conservative on some things such as Nvidia drivers. I found Sabayon to be a more happy medium, but now I'm on pure Gentoo because I've always wanted to.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 15 Jun 2014 10:38

Omega wrote:but Debian Testing is too conservative on some things such as Nvidia drivers
http://smxi.org/ solves that problem
bliss of ignorance

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”