What browser would be the best to use.

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
disciple1964

What browser would be the best to use.

Postby disciple1964 » 05 Jun 2014 05:57

Hello,

I realize that this question can be answered many ways, and depends on user. However, I would like to know what browser most people who use SolydXK perfer, I have been a long time firefox user, but to be honest It is really boring now. Sometimes the pages just don't look crisp and it has a slowdown depending on pages views. I use very few add-ons, ABE, Privacy badger Download helper. No themes at the moment, and if I did it would have to be related to the Giant's. I live in Cowboy country, but can't stand the team....LOL.

Thanks

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Longshot

Re: What browser would be the best to use.

Postby Longshot » 05 Jun 2014 07:13

I've always been a Firefox fan, even in my Window days, I used Firefox. I have tried Chrome and a few others but always come back to Firefox. It has never been slow for me, Firefox always seems fast on whatever I'm doing. On a side note, I'm a Panthers fan and I hate the Cowboys as well lol.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Jun 2014 10:55

+1 on Firefox
Hate the Cowboys too. Old St. Louis Cardinals fan now Rams fan.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 05 Jun 2014 12:57

My understanding:
  • FF is the defacto standard. It might be a little slow compare to others, but it's more flexible and more standards compliant than any other choice.
  • Chromimum - It's been claimed to be a bit faster than FF, but it seems a lot of people have issues with it.
  • Google Chrome - I used to use it as it seems to be bit snappier. But, it's google and has privacy issues.
  • iceweasel - Isn't this just FF, rebadged?
My personal favorite, at this time, is FF - it just works with no issues, worries, or gotchas.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 05 Jun 2014 13:38

In both Mint 16 (XFCE) and SolydX, my default browser is linux Pale Moon. Pale Moon has the old Firefox look and feel and it's not going to have the Australis UI in it ever. Pale Moon is a fork of Firefox so don't let anyone tell you on Mozillazine it isn't a fork.

Also, since it doesn't have the Australis UI, all the customization "within" the browser is in Pale Moon so you can hide the Tab Bar if you wish in Options, you can move your buttons (Home, Reload, etc) anywhere where you want them, tabs can be on top or on bottom, the white colored separators are still in the customize box along with the spinning Activity Indicator, favicons are displayed in the Navigation Bar instead of the generic globe Firefox uses, the old Status Bar/Add-on Bar is still there, you have a choice to use the downward pointing arrow for your downloads or have the old classic download window (which I prefer) by going into "about:config" and making the change, you have a choice to use the blue colored Pale Moon button (similar to the orange colored Firefox button) or the Menu Bar.

They are other things too, but I don't feel like typing a manuscript today. Suffice to say, all the things above "don't" need any extensions/add-ons to accomplish what you want. The add-ons which work in Firefox usually work in Pale Moon. Lightweight themes (Personas) work too and I use a solid colored one called "Hydriel".

Pale Moon and Firefox don't share the same profile so you can run them side by side at the same time and you will not have any problems. You can run Pale Moon from the executable file if you want to try it out and this doesn't install Pale Moon. Any changes you make with Pale Moon (bookmarks, extensions, etc) will still be there the next time you start Pale Moon. If you like linux Pale Moon, then you can install it. If you don't like Pale Moon, then delete the palemoon folder which was extracted from the tarball and it's gone.

Linux Pale Moon comes in both 32 bit and 64 bit. Right now the newest version of linux Pale Moon is 24.5.0, but late next week (around Friday 13th which is the target date) linux Pale Moon 24.6.0 will be released since it's in beta testing right now and I'm running the beta version of 24.6.0 on my spare laptop (and I'm not using my laptop to type this message, I'm using my desktop tower computer with Pale Moon 24.5.0). It has it's own Forum site too.

http://forum.palemoon.org/

If this message has piqued your interest, you can download linux Pale Moon 24.5.0 at Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/24.5.0/

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 05 Jun 2014 23:42

FF user since before v.2 i started using chromium a few months ago (initially due to an annoying user profile corruption that only :shock: affected this forum) and to my surprise i'm enjoying the experience;
so far 2 major advantages:
- fresh, updated flash;
- straightforward and more comprehensive sync mechanism than FF
and one minor:
- i use a lot of tabs (really a lot: 18 ATM but it's not unusual to have 18 just for one research) and be able to navigate though them with the mouse wheel is priceless.
bliss of ignorance

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 06 Jun 2014 00:02

I always have a few installed, but Firefox is my day to day browser. By the way, I like the Dallas Cowboy CheerLeaders!

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 06 Jun 2014 03:17

I have been using

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache search uzbl
uzbl - Lightweight Webkit browser following the UNIX philosophy
Supports flash and java script. Appeals to minimalistic linux users like me

http://postimg.org/image/l52sl2fpr/

Edit: My suggestion is that it takes up no space. Cpu does not struggle. Makes a better backup browser than
Netsurf or Dillo. Runs just as fast. No need to relocate plugins. It can find them.
o key= type in url
right click llink in webpage = open new window.
I run tons of open windows when I run uzbl browser instead of tabs.
b key = page back
j key is scroll down
k key is scroll up

Hope you get the idea.

wayne

Postby wayne » 06 Jun 2014 05:25

Have been using firefox for decade..

On Debian based, usually just use iceweasel..at time add chrome

With ff29/iceweasel29, even with classic theme restorer installed I could not get back what the old-fox-versions could do..

so I now use Palemoon and firefox/iceweasel, mixing both version

Since I usually have 30-40 tabs open at one time :mrgreen: , it is hard to manage, too much scrolling left/right.
But with iceweasel and palemoon running concurrently, I split some groups to one browser and some on another browser.

To illustrate what I mean, on the same vertical space, I could use Palemoon and have menu bar with navigation tool bar, backward-forward-reload button, zoom (- +) buttons, all in one line :mrgreen: and tabs on another line.

Left is iceweasel, right is palemoon
http://i62.tinypic.com/e1c0hs.png

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Jun 2014 21:08

I was thinking for switching my browser but there's no gecko based browser better than firefox :lol:

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 07 Jun 2014 00:21

The only other browser similar ro Firefox is SeaMonkey. It can use some Firefox plugins. I have installed it using this method, (warning I can't guarantee that it won't cause problems). It looks like the real old Netscape suite. It has an e-mail similar to Thunderbird built in.

Code: Select all

gksu mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 07 Jun 2014 02:54

I've used FF for years and was hesitant to change but I've found Pale Moon to be smoother, quicker, and renders pages more crisply. Still on ver. 24.3.2 (64). Has never locked up on me or created any problems. Been using it as my sole browser since late Feb. only opening FF or NetSurf for some testing. If you are into FF I would recommend trying PM.
Reg. #439601

wayne

Postby wayne » 07 Jun 2014 03:32

mistergil wrote:I've used FF for years and was hesitant to change but I've found Pale Moon to be smoother, quicker, and renders pages more crisply. Still on ver. 24.3.2 (64). Has never locked up on me or created any problems. Been using it as my sole browser since late Feb. only opening FF or NetSurf for some testing. If you are into FF I would recommend trying PM.

Hi mistergil,

fyi

Palemoon linux version 24.6.0 just been released.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 875#p29236

mistergil

Postby mistergil » 07 Jun 2014 10:21

Wayne,

Late at night my brain malfunctions.
I actually meant that I was still using 24.3.2 just haven't upgraded yet. :oops:
Thanks though, just haven't done it yet. :roll:
Reg. #439601

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 08 Jun 2014 03:37

Thanks to everyone that replied, I am going to give pale moon a try. I tried chrome, but for some reason it does not import FF bookmarks very well, or at least not in a organized fashion. But maybe will redo my bookmarks for chrome, that way, I will be able to import them, should I need to reinstall chrome for some reason.

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 08 Jun 2014 06:44

How does Pale Moon handle flash?

wayne

Postby wayne » 08 Jun 2014 07:46

Longshot wrote:How does Pale Moon handle flash?
Same as Firefox or Iceweasel

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 08 Jun 2014 09:37

zerozero wrote:FF user since before v.2
Me too...
zerozero wrote:...i started using chromium a few months ago...
- fresh, updated flash;
- straightforward and more comprehensive sync mechanism than FF
I find this intriguing, as have been using xmarks in place of FF sync.
Maybe I oughta finally crumble, and kneel before Google... :lol:

@nightwing, I still intend to give pale moon another try. Remember the great fiasco last time I tried it? :oops: :D

Maybe it works better now on my rig since we've had some updates. Sometimes all one has to do is wait a while for the dragons and magic to return to his/her individual corner of the universe, and all the problems disappear, poof! :lol:

ray

Postby ray » 08 Jun 2014 12:08

Pale Moon is working great for me, seems much quicker than FF or Iceweasel, xmarks works the same as both the others. Best move I've made in a while.

Ray

Swamper

Postby Swamper » 08 Jun 2014 12:57

I installed Pale Moon on my desktop and synced my bookmarks with FF. So far, it seems fine and appears to be a little faster than FF. Xmarks sounds interesting, perhaps I'll give that one a go, too! :)

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”