Promotional Multi-boot Solydxk USB w/Utilities and Storage

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Deleted User 2767

Promotional Multi-boot Solydxk USB w/Utilities and Storage

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 23 Jul 2014 21:37

I am attempting to create some live multi-boot usbs with the Solydxk isos, some rescue utilities and storage as promotional items for linux, and Solydxk in particular, intending to give them to the computer shops (with whom I do business) and others in my area. I've run into a snag I do not know how to overcome.

Setup: 8GB usb, 6 partitions:
multi-boot-usb.png
multi-boot-usb.png (102.37 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Bootloader: syslinux

Problem: Solydk on sdx6 boots, but loads Solydx on sdx5.

sdx1 syslinux.cfg label entry:

Code: Select all

LABEL solydk64
	MENU LABEL Solydk 64bit (201405)
	COM32 chain.c32
	append boot 6 (or hd0 6)
I've appended everything I can find but nothing works.

I am able to boot Solyd on sdx6 and Ubuntu on sdx5, but can not figure how to tell Solyd on sdx6 to read from sdx6 if Solyd is on sdx5.

Is there anyone who can tell me what's going on with this? TIA.

ScottQuier

Re: Promotional Multi-boot Solydxk USB w/Utilities and Stora

Postby ScottQuier » 23 Jul 2014 22:57

You should be able to get some clues from this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4247
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 24 Jul 2014 05:14

ScottQuier wrote:You should be able to get some clues from this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4247
Thanks for the attention (particularly as I am aware of the contribution you make to the project, which is far more important than my piddly problem), but I am apparently missing the clues. I think I should be able to do what I want done, but do not understand enough to get it done. It's probably more of a learning experience for me than I would like to admit, and I find the folks here friendly and helpful. So I occassionaly get the nerve to expose my ignorance and ask my stupid questions.

I think what I want to understand is how it happens that the os on one partition loads the os from another partition, and more importantly, if and how it can be prevented under the circumstance (i.e., using syslinux and chainloading to boot live isos; not to be confused with the loopback method, which I can use successfully if desired). I have done a fair amount of reading and experimenting with grub and syslinux, and I simply can not seem to get a handle on whether or not and how to do what I want in this case. I've got it working the way I want, except that I can not use different versions of Solydxk on the same usb disk. The more I've thought about it, for my purposes, it is probably good to have Ubuntu (which I consider to have become the Windows version of Linux) and Solydxk (which is more of what I started using Red Hat Linux for over fifteen years ago) on the same disk for comparison purposes. So we could drop this discussion at this time, and I could walk away without any loss but the desire to know.

Add to this that I would like to distribute the disks I create to local techs (l live in a rural area, eighteen miles from the nearest "Mayberry"), who are Windows and Mac oriented but have an interest in knowing more about Linux distros for their own and their customer's sakes. They are familiar with rescue utilities like Hiram's, and my disk includes the SystemRescueCd and Parted Magic. I don't really need to do this for any other reason. I've used Solydxk-Constructor with some success (which is another thing about which I have a ton of questions I never ask) and created a custom live Solydx iso on 16 and 32GB usbs with persistence for my own use (I've had little success with installing an os to a usb).

Thanks again. And thanks to the Solydxk community for all that you do to make Solydxk the best Linux distro for me.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Jul 2014 08:48

:) Hi Bill..

I've researched this type of thing a bit myself using Debian Wheezy, but have only scratched the surface... I was curious as to how you created your custom Solyd usb with persistence. Persistence is a thing I have struggled with, and was unsuccessful getting it going in Debian. Docs seemed to lag a bit between Squeeze and Wheezy, and IIRC the method changed somewhat, leaving two versions of the process out there. And then Life intervened, and the whole thing sort of fell by the wayside, and I haven't tried again since. I feel bad about that because I find the entire subject intriguing. It would be great to do it with Solyd....

I suppose this is off-topic. It would be great to have a Solyd With Persistence tutorial! :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance! :D

-- Dave

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 24 Jul 2014 10:46

passnthru wrote:
ScottQuier wrote:You should be able to get some clues from this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4247
Thanks for the attention (particularly as I am aware of the contribution you make to the project, which is far more important than my piddly problem), but I am apparently missing the clues. I think I should be able to do what I want done, but do not understand enough to get it done. It's probably more of a learning experience for me than I would like to admit, and I find the folks here friendly and helpful. So I occassionaly get the nerve to expose my ignorance and ask my stupid questions.
Thats' because I gave you the wrong link. I'm sorry about the confusion. This is what I intended to offer --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3675
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 24 Jul 2014 12:00

Solyd With Persistence tutorial!
I don't see why this tutorial could not be adapted to SolydXK. http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/
It uses the Linux version of UNetbootin. I made a few changes, but they may not be needed. 2 GB may be too small for the flash drive. 4 or 8 GB are cheap and readily available.
Next, right click on the unpartitioned space and select New. Set the size of the new partition to 1500 MiB (I think I doubled this, just so things would not be cramped.), set the File system to fat32 and click Add.
Next, enter 100 in the field labelled "Space used to preserve files across reboots (Ubuntu only):".
This creates a small casper-rw file that you will delete later, so 100 is fine. You must create the small casper-rw file and then delete it so that it will look for the larger casper-rw partition that you created earlier. I used this to make a Xubuntu drive with persistence, will have to try it out on SolydX.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Jul 2014 12:14

jsalpha2 wrote:I don't see why this tutorial could not be adapted to SolydXK. http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/
You're right. And there's always the MX and antiX tools.
I just thought it might be nice to have one for the board... ;)
Pay me no mind, of course there's all sorts of info out there on this issue.
I get kooky ideas sometimes... ;)

@passnthru, My apologies for the OT... :oops:

-- Dave

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 24 Jul 2014 13:07

ScottQuier wrote:Thats' because I gave you the wrong link. I'm sorry about the confusion. This is what I intended to offer --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3675
Ah. I have reviewed the post in the past (apparently in searching for an answer to another problem), but will be doing so again from a new perspective. Thanks again.

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 24 Jul 2014 14:04

fleabus wrote:Persistence is a thing I have struggled with, and was unsuccessful getting it going... [...] I feel bad about that because I find the entire subject intriguing. It would be great to do it with Solyd.... I suppose this is off-topic. It would be great to have a Solyd With Persistence tutorial!
My struggle with getting persistence to work by any and every means I could find drove me to a change of mind regarding persistence. So my "tutorial" is to share my way of thinking. Here is "persistence" by my definition of persistence:

Any storage device has persistence with a data partition and the mount command., does it not? So far as I am concerned, a usb device with a live os and a data partition has persistence.

If the issue in getting persistence is ease of use, then simply automate by learning the process of mounting, chowning, chmoding - doing what is necessary to access and preserve the data. (I might wish that I did not have to manually put the toothpaste on my toothbrush in order to brush my teeth with toothpaste. But until I am so perturbed by the process that I invent disposable toothbrushes with pre-installed toothpaste, or something like that, manually adding toothpaste to the toothbrush is what I must do in order to achieve the desired end.)

For my purposes, two things are necessary to achieve the persistence I desire: 1) a custom iso and 2) a data partition.

I customized (which is a work in progress) the iso to include the applications and configuration I need (gnucash, keepassx, tomboy, gedit, mc, vim, openssh-server, ncftp, lamp - to name most of the few). In the modifications of the iso I create a mountpoint for the data partition (I use /home/Data), modify fstab and the sudoers files (to eliminate the need for the sudo password). I created a symlink in /home/<user> to /home/Data, and can create whatever symlinks I want for convenience in /home/<user> on the fly.

Short of customizing the iso as I have done, I have found that I can mount any partition anywhere I choose with the live isos I have tested, create a temporary symlink to the mounted partition, and overide ownership problems to the mounted partition.

Works for me. End of tutorial.
fleabus wrote:I get kooky ideas sometimes... ;)
I've read a lot of you on these forums and do not view your ideas as any kookier than those of others. But that not-with-standing, I'm glad that I am not alone in the kooky idea department. :)
fleabus wrote:@passnthru, My apologies for the OT... :oops:
No apology necessary so far as I am concerned, but thanks.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 24 Jul 2014 14:16

Thanks so much Bill for sharing! I've only been involved with Linux for a year or so, and have often said to myself what's the difference if I can use a live usb to basically store anything anywhere on my system. I also did a same-as-metal install to a usb stick using ext3 just playing around one day. Life intervenes, lost the round tuit, and so I have a ways to go on this, but friends and relatives have begun to request Solyd-with-persistence USBs, so I’m gonna get on the "stick" as it were... Lawd but that was horrible... :mrgreen:

Now. About your toothbrush idea... :lol:

-- Dave

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 24 Jul 2014 14:40

fleabus wrote:[...] but friends and relatives have begun to request Solyd-with-persistence USBs, so I’m gonna get on the "stick" as it were[...]
What I've done for a few like you mention who are requesting your help is create the disk with the preferred iso(s) and data partition, and place a README txt or html help file on the data partition which steps them through preserving their data (which probably means that you will need to show them once - or over and again, as is often true in my case - how to access and read it).

To facilitate ease of use, I label the data partition MYDATA so that it stands out on the live iso desktop. The user who knows anything can then click to open the partition in the file browser, and then on the file. Again, works as well as anything can be expected to work given all of the variables in play.

Deleted User 2767

[Closed] Re: Promotional Multi-boot Solydxk USB...

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 25 Jul 2014 16:40

passnthru wrote:Short of customizing the iso as I have done, I have found that I can mount any partition anywhere I choose with the live isos I have tested, create a temporary symlink to the mounted partition, and overide ownership problems to the mounted partition.
For reasons I do not understand, this is not consistently true.

Having exhausted all within my means to accomplish what I desire (see op), I will compensate whomever can accomplish the following, and privately mentor me in the procedure followed to do so: install SolydX and SolydK (or any two Debian) isos on the same usb drive so that both boot as live isos.

Please PM me rather than post here. This topic is closed to me save for posting the results (if any) for the sake of any who may have equal interests.

Thank you.

Deleted User 2767

Re: [Closed] Re: Promotional Multi-boot Solydxk USB...

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 01 Aug 2014 10:48

passnthru wrote:This topic is closed to me save for posting the results (if any) for the sake of any who may have equal interests.
In the spirit of the above, and knowing of the Solydxk team's multi-boot project (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4247), as well as of fleabus's interest in a multi-boot usb with persistence (viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4408#p40760), the reader may be interested in the conversation on the Linuxmint forums and at linuxquestions.org. Cheers!

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 02 Aug 2014 16:09

I said that I would post results, so here is where my project stands at the moment:

I currently use Solydx on account of Debian stability and the XFCE desktop.To assist me in demonstrating my preference to those who inquire or seek my help, I have created a distro demo and utilities disk. The following are the steps to the creation of the disk. (These are mostly my notes; the reader may contact me for clarification if needed.) 

1) components
8GB USB flash drive
solydx64_201407.iso - 1343MB
linuxmint-201403-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso - 1293MB
ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso - 988MB
systemrescuecd-x86-4.1.0.iso - 467MB
pmagic_2013_09_26.iso - 383MB
grub2
syslinux

2) disk preparation
create 3 partitions (the first for the three isos and boot files; the second for the utilities, and the third, or remainder for storage)

calculate partition sizes

Model: TOSHIBA TransMemory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 7756MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  4000MB  4000MB  primary  fat32        boot
 2      4000MB  5154MB  1153MB  primary  fat32
 3      5154MB  7756MB  2602MB  primary  fat32

NAME    FSTYPE   SIZE LABEL
sdc              7.2G 
├─sdc1  vfat     3.7G ISOS
├─sdc2  vfat     1.1G UTILITIES
└─sdc3  vfat     2.4G MYDATA

Use gparted and/or cfdisk to create three partitions as indicated above 
    "sudo cfdisk /dev/sdc" to create the partitions
    "sudo mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n <label> /dev/sdc<#>"

Mount /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2
    "cd /media/user; sudo mkdir isos utilities; sudo mount /dev/sdc1 isos/; sudo mount /dev/sdc2 utilities/"
    "sudo grub-install --force --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/user/isos /dev/sdc" (this will create the /boot (parent) and /grub (child) directories)
    "sudo mkdir /media/user/boot/isos"
    "sudo cp -Rv ~/Downloads/iso/<name of iso> /media/user/isos/boot/isos/"

Create /media/user/isos/boot/grub/grub.cfg:
#################################################
set timeout=10
set default=0
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=white/green

menuentry "Solydx (64bit 201407)" {
    set isofile="/boot/isos/solydx64_201407.iso"
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz fromiso=/dev/disk/by-label/ISOS/$isofile boot=live live-config live-media-path=/live quiet splash --
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Mint Debian Edition (64bit 201403)" {
    set isofile="/boot/isos/linuxmint-201403-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso"
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz fromiso=/dev/disk/by-label/ISOS/$isofile boot=live live-config live-media-path=/live quiet splash --
    initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

menuentry "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS" {
    set isofile="/boot/isos/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile  quiet splash --
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "Utilities (SysRescueCD, Super Grub Disk & PMAGIC)" {
    set root=(hd0,2)
    chainloader +1
}

menuentry "Reboot" {
    reboot
}
#####################################################

Still at /media/user: "sudo mkdir iso"
"sudo mount -o loop ~/Downloads/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-4.1.0.iso iso/"
mount the UTILITIES partition
"sudo cp -Rv /media/user/iso/* /media/user/utilities/"
"sudo umount iso/"
"sudo mount -o loop ~/Downloads/iso/pmagic_2013_09_26.iso iso/"
"sudo cp -Rv /media/user/pmagic /media/user/utilities/"
"sudo umount iso/"
"cd UTILITIES"
"sudo mv isolinux/ syslinux"
"cd syslinux"
"sudo mv isolinux.bin syslinux.bin; sudo mv isolinux.cfg syslinux.cfg"
"cd /media/user"
"sudo syslinux -i syslinux -d /dev/sdc2"
"l /media/user/UTILITIES/syslinux/ldlinux.sys" (to confirm)

Add the following entries to /media/user/UTILITIES/syslinux/syslinux.cfg:

LABEL pmagic32
MENU LABEL PMAGIC 32 (to RAM)
KERNEL /pmagic/bzImage
APPEND initrd=/pmagic/initrd.img edd=on vga=normal vmalloc=384MiB

LABEL pmagic64
MENU LABEL PMAGIC 64 (to RAM)
KERNEL /pmagic/bzImage64
APPEND initrd=/pmagic/initrd.img edd=on vga=normal vmalloc=384MiB

"sudo umount isos/ UTILITIES/"

3) Boot and test the usb.

This disk was created and tested on a Lenovo G710 under LMDE 201403 UP8 (I am currently working through some difficulties with Solydx). It also passed testing on a Dell Latitude E6440, and a Toshiba Satellite C665. It failed the test on a System76 Sable Complete desktop (which, btw, currently runs Ubuntu, Solydx, Solydk and Linuxmint DE). I'm looking in to why it failed on this machine.
gparted-view-usb-demo-disk.png
boot-screen-usb-demo.png
utilites-boot-menu.png
utilites-boot-menu.png (31.53 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
I would provide screenshots of the distro boot menus, but they take too long to load in my VBox, and would show nothing but the desktop anyway with the current grub boot loader configuration. (I would like for this to boot the isos as if they were single boot cd/dvd/usb, but have not yet figured out how to get it done. So this will do for me for the moment.)

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 09 Aug 2014 13:55

As it turns out for me, the "look no further" answer to all mult-boot usb issues is in grub4dos, and easy2boot makes it - well, easy to boot using grub4dos!

I have found everything for which I was looking in creating this custom usb using grub4dos (of which I have been aware but overlooked until now). It even looks as if genuine persistence is possible, but I have not gotten around to working that out yet.

So for those who desire mult-boot usb devices, I recommend looking into grub4dos (and easy2boot). It is a "universal bootloader", which is not itself hassle-free, but takes the hassle out of trying to get grub and/or syslinux to do everything, which by themselves and together, they can not do (at least not for a "non-techie" like me who had my particular objective in this case).

(I'm wondering why grub for dos and easy2boot are not included in any Linux distribution software of which I know. :? )

This is not necessarily pretty, but it works and serves my purpose (almost)...
demo-utilities-storage-usb.png

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 09 Aug 2014 15:03

This is not necessarily pretty, but it works
Can you run GrubCustomizer on the USB stick now and add a background image, change fonts and colors?

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 09 Aug 2014 15:27

jsalpha2 wrote:
Can you run GrubCustomizer on the USB stick now and add a background image, change fonts and colors?
Sorry, but I don't know. :oops: I'm not familiar with GrubCustomizer. I do know that grub4dos accomodates splash images and custom colors/fonts. But I'm new to it, and I've always been more concerned with function than form, so all of my boot screens are of the stock variety. This is not to say that "pretty" would not be nice!

I do not fully understand the similarities and differences between grub and grub4dos.

Perhaps taking a look at the menu.lst would answer your question?

write (md)0x220+1 !BAT\n\necho -n -e -P:0000 $[0103]  DISTRIBUTION DEMOS AND RESCUE UTILITIES BOOT MENU                    \0
initscript (md)0x220+1

default 0
timeout 30
color cyan/black white/black
foreground ffffff
background 000000

title Solydx 64bit (201407)
kernel /iso/solydx/live/vmlinuz boot=live config live-media-path=iso/solydx/live quiet splash --
initrd /iso/solydx/live/initrd.img
boot

title Linuxmint DE 201403 (Cinnamon)
kernel /iso/lmde/live/vmlinuz boot=live config live-media-path=iso/lmde/live quiet splash --
initrd /iso/lmde/live/initrd.img
boot

title Ubuntu 14.04 LTS amd64
find --set-root /iso/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso
map /iso/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/iso/ubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso quiet splash --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

title SystemRescueCD\nsystemrescuecd-x86-4.1.0.iso
set ISO=/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-4.1.0.iso
find --set-root %ISO%
parttype (hd0,3) | set check=
set check=%check:~-5,4% 
if %check%==0x00 partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 %ISO%
if NOT %check%==0x00 echo ERROR: Partion Table entry 4 already exists! && pause --wait=3 && configfile /menu.lst 
map  %ISO% (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title Parted Magic\npmagic_2013_09_26.iso
set ISO=/iso/pmagic_2013_09_26.iso
find --set-root %ISO%
parttype (hd0,3) | set check=
set check=%check:~-5,4% 
if %check%==0x00 partnew (hd0,3) 0x00 %ISO%
if NOT %check%==0x00 echo ERROR: Partion Table entry 4 already exists! && pause --wait=3 && configfile /menu.lst 
map %ISO% (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD\nf4ubcd-4.5.iso
find --set-root /iso/f4ubcd-4.5.iso
map /iso/f4ubcd-4.5.iso (0xff) || map --mem /iso/f4ubcd.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

title Boot from 1st Hard Disk
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1
rootnoverify (hd0)

title Reboot
reboot

title Halt
halt
Credit for most of this goes to information found on RMPrepUSB and Easy2Boot, which taking a look at might also answer your question.

This much I know: the appearance can be changed. And whereas I see it for what it is, I do not know if it's worth the trouble to me change it (these things do not come easy to me).

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 09 Aug 2014 17:45

passnthru wrote:I do not fully understand the similarities and differences between grub and grub4dos.
If I understand correctly, grub4dos allows you to install and configure grub from within Windows or a DOS environment (like the one that's available on some utility CDs like UBCD, Hirens, etc). You shouldnt need it for situations where you can just install/configure GRUB from a linux environment.

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 09 Aug 2014 18:01

Zero Angel wrote:If I understand correctly, grub4dos allows you to install and configure grub from within Windows or a DOS environment (like the one that's available on some utility CDs like UBCD, Hirens, etc). You shouldnt need it for situations where you can just install/configure GRUB from a linux environment.
This is basically what I thought, and the reason I passed it over for so long. But it installs to the mbr (and/or the pbr). It is my understanding that it is a "universal boot loader" than can boot almost anything. I do not know if it could replace other boot loaders... I have used it to create bootable usbs in both the Windows and Linux environments, but predominately in the Solydx environment. I'm afraid I do not know enough to speak intelligently regarding its capabilities and limitations. What I do know is that I am able to do with it what I have struggled and failed to do with grub and syslinux (independently and together - i.e., chainloading from one to the other). But again, no one should take me for an authority on anything but my own limited experience.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”