With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
MAYBL8

With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Aug 2014 20:42

With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model to a less frequent update schedule and being more stable than it already is (in my opinion) I am looking at some other distros that are a rolling release such as Arch.
The antergos spin looks interesting in such that it comes pre configured and will let you start out with a variety of DE.
Arch has always interested me although hard to first setup.
You can make it into whatever you want.
Right now a lot of the same packages that Solyd has Antergos has slightly updated ones.
Curious to know what others are thinking.

zerozero

Re: With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model

Postby zerozero » 05 Aug 2014 20:50

jumping the boat too soon?

nothing wrong with driving other distros (i, personally, use a couple more additionally to SolydXK) but your reasonings don't hold; we might come up with a "more hardcore" version of SolydXK.
bliss of ignorance

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 05 Aug 2014 20:56

Z,
I know I'm not jumping yet.
Just worried. I liked the rolling release model and the frequent update schedule when Solyd first started.
I know it is a lot of work and with limited resources difficult to do.
I don't know if there are others out there like myself that don't mind breakages now and then.
That last update pack was kind of a disaster but hey that is what makes linux fun and challenging sometimes.
To me stable is boring. Solyd is not mature yet even the stable version is not mature.
Mac systems are mature. I guess they don't need to update their software very often and everyone is happy who owns a Mac.
Sorry comparing to a Mac but it is the closest thing to a mature Linux type system that I know about.
Well enough on this rant.
I will keep watching what happens.
Thanks
Dan

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Aug 2014 22:44

I want to stick to SolydK and see how it goes when BE gets Jessie when Jessie becomes stable.

But, I have VirtualBox installed so I can play around with other distros. I have a "de-apped" version of SolydX and SolydK (removed everything except what I'd use for development) in VMs, and a couple Ubuntu servers for work stuff. And an Ubuntu 14.04/GNOME VM for the Intro to Linux course stuff.

IF I ever need to distro hop again, I was courting Debian Stable (when it's Jessie) and KDE (whatever is in Debian stable) but if SolydK BE is going to have that (and I really don't think Schoelje and team are going to do away with having a Debian Stable offering anytime soon) then I'd rather stick to SolydK. But if for some odd reason SolydXK went under (which I hope it won't) I'd just go move to Debian. Or, I would go Kubuntu or back to Mint.

I learned a lot while here in the SolydXK Community so I intend to stick around as much as I can. If a distro catches my eye, I'll give it a go in a VM to see what it's like.

BTW, as for Antergos, check out this thread: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4479 Seems someone tried it and they didn't like the daily updates. Having an update a day is a bit much, I have to admit.

I'm keeping my eyes open and my computers filled with SolydK for now. :)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 05 Aug 2014 22:57

MAYBL8 wrote:
That last update pack was kind of a disaster but hey that is what makes linux fun and challenging sometimes.
To me stable is boring. Solyd is not mature yet even the stable version is not mature.
I think this gets to the core of the problem. Some people want the challenge and excitement of using a rolling release and fixing the issues that pop up. Other people just want to install the OS and get to work. Never having to think about it again.

I would say that traditionally Linux users have been the first group. Thats why it has the reputation of being only for Geeks. But I think the pendulum is swinging and more and more users just want a distro that works. Something stable but will still run the latest software.

It seems to me SolydXK is at a bit of a crossroads as to which market/user they want to focus on. Since they started with the rolling release, it wouldn't surprise me to see them stick with rolling release. But on the other hand, the upkeep of rolling is more work and the objective is typically stated as being for business class stability. To that end I see SolydXK choosing a more stable path.

In the "what does SolydXK mean" thread. (http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=40) I proposed as option 1) that Solyd might be able to build their own yearly LTS based on Debian Testing. This would provide a testing base for people like you who enjoy the excitement of testing, as well as provide a fixed LTS release for people like me who just want stability. The issue of course would be the fixed (LTS) release may not be compatible with either Testing or Stable repos since it has is own snapshot it is build off. Which could lead to instability. In the end, such a model could prove to be simply duplicating what Ubuntu is doing. But who knows, maybe the team can come up with an option that will please the Testers as well as the Stables.

Don't abandon ship yet. I think their will be a lot of discussion in the next few weeks to determine the direction SolydXK wants to go. I think Schoelje and ZeroZero need to make the final decision as they seem to be the ones who put in the most time and started the distro. But don't give up yet. If you haven't noticed, the SolydXK team takes very seriously the thoughts and input of their users.

In the end its very possible that one of us (Testers v Stable) may no longer find SolydXK meets our needs. But I think as long as we can discuss the options politely and civilly it will be the best for SolydXK and the people who make it possible.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 05 Aug 2014 23:17

RavenLX wrote:(and I really don't think Schoelje and team are going to do away with having a Debian Stable offering anytime soon)
i believe it was never implied that the BE/BO would be dropped; actually it would make all the sense to keep them and reinforce them.
MAYBL8 wrote:Solyd is not mature yet even the stable version is not mature.
no, it's not mature and couldn't be! a release with less than one year isn't mature; but is it unstable? unreliable?
bliss of ignorance

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 00:59

@zerozero: Sorry if I sounded like it was implied. I didn't notice it implied either. I was just thinking outloud my confidence in you guys. :)

When will SolydXK's 1st birthday be? I thought it already was a year old? If no, we should have a big online bash (no not bash script :lol: ) on the 1st birthday! And even the second and any birthday for that matter! :)

Is it unstable? I think it's more stable than Windows, actually! At least for me it is.

Is it unreliable? I have come to rely on it daily for my regular computer use, and also development. If it didn't perform in that area, I obviously wouldn't still be here. :)

However, as they say, YMMV. For me, (who already is a "power user" of sorts and who knows how to tinker and ask too many questions :) ) I think at least the HE version works out quite well.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 01:03

OMG I just looked at my last post. Smiley overload! :lol: There it goes again... Sorry!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 06 Aug 2014 01:13

zerozero wrote:is it unstable? unreliable?
In a word, No.

No Solyd release has ever been that. 8-)

A sweeping generalization. So I'll say that I have not personally experienced an unreliable install of either HE or BE.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 06 Aug 2014 01:19

RavenLX wrote: When will SolydXK's 1st birthday be? I thought it already was a year old? If no, we should have a big online bash (no not bash script :lol: ) on the 1st birthday! And even the second and any birthday for that matter! :)
Dan was referring above to the Stable Ed. (the BE/BO)
zerozero wrote:
MAYBL8 wrote:Solyd is not mature yet even the stable version is not mature.
no, it's not mature and couldn't be! a release with less than one year isn't mature; but is it unstable? unreliable?
and it was to that reference that i answered.
[sorry for the confusion]
the BE/BO were released in November 26, 2013
http://solydxk.nl/solydk-business-editi ... -new-isos/
bliss of ignorance

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 01:37

When was HE released? After? Well, at least we know when BE/BO was released so at least there is one Birthday coming up!

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 06 Aug 2014 01:45

the HE are over one year old (>> February 28, 2013 <<)
i think everybody forgot its birthday last february :mrgreen:
bliss of ignorance

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 01:55

Aw, man! That's bad! It's a milestone and should have been a celebration! Well, at least we're in time for BE/BO. 8-)

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 06 Aug 2014 02:20

No reason to jump, just point sources to sid (or siduction) and roll with smxi.
That's the best part about Debian.
-Hinto

Kena azul

Postby Kena azul » 06 Aug 2014 05:24

Fargo wrote:But I think the pendulum is swinging and more and more users just want a distro that works. Something stable but will still run the latest software.
Hello,
This is exactly what I was looking for when I turned to Solydx. I'm not a geek, just an ordinary user who is interested in the way an OS works. I've also ArchLinux on my computer, but I nedded a more user-friendly OS for everyday use (I tried alos Manjaro and Antergos). And as this one is based on Debian, the other great branch of Linux :) ... Keep the good work!
Sorry if I made sme mistakes; I'm French
Sony Vaio Intel Core i3 M330 2.13 GHz
4 Go RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 5400
ArchLinux 64 XFCE / Solydx 64 XFCE / Windows 8.1 Pro 64

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 06 Aug 2014 10:26

The last time I jumped I ended up to my neck in very cold water - SolydX stays for me.

patzy

Postby patzy » 06 Aug 2014 10:43

MAYBL8 wrote: I don't know if there are others out there like myself that don't mind breakages now and then.
Dan
I don't mind the breakages either.
I had trouble with the last UP, but this was followed by the compensation of a warm feeling of triumph when I got things sorted out. ;) :D

_q_

Postby _q_ » 06 Aug 2014 15:47

i think distro jumping is one of the problems with Linux.

instead of us working with a single distro and getting to know it, we are off to the next shiny.

we get angry at the devs for trashing our beloved systems and we yell and scream... but we dont bother to learn what is going on and maybe fix it or at least add back some data to the project.

we are some fickle fickle users. :roll:

personally, this last little bit has shown me one of the things I REALLY like about SolydXK: its controlled by one guy, not a committee.

i think for something based on Debian Testing, the HE's are ROCK solid and i like them a ton... sure, now and again there is a minor derail on the UP, but one would think that was a a side effect of the thousands of software packages available and the millions of possible hardware combinations available.... all being run by one guy with some help from a small handful.

i for one will be sticking with Solyd as long as Solyd is going in the direction it is and doesnt do anything vile like Ubuntu.... or get all Gnomey.

and IF Solyd becomes a thing of the past, i will go find yet another Debian based Distro and roll with it because i have been loyal to Debian since about 1999... i play with others but really, Debian is just awesome sauce. :ugeek:

keep in mind, none of this pertains to playing with other distros and learning them.. i am not sayin we should all pick one and just use it... but i AM saying i wish people dropped Microsoft or Apple as fast as some cats want to bail on a perfectly stable version of an unstable (Testing) OS.

another thing to keep in mind is "all this talk" is coming from users, not devs. the dev asked for opinions, yes, but it aint like things are actually changing

i think it says a LOT about the whole Open Source movement that threads like THIS dont get deleted.

SolydXK is such a delicious flavor of Debian!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 16:50

I'm wondering if that'll be the problem with Linux - distro hopping and user complaints - as more people move away from Windows and look for alternatives?

As a "user" as such (ok, I admit to being more of a power user/dev type), when there's problems, I try to get help in solving it or if I solve it myself, provide how I did it so others can get the fix. I also try to report bugs and give back so people know what is working, what isn't. I try not to just "complain" it's "not working". I try to give some ideas on what happened and if it gets fixed, let folks know how it got fixed (and credit those who helped find the fix or provided the fix). This way at least I'm trying to give back for an absolutely free operating system. I don't have any money - funds stretched too thin. So if I can't donate funds, I hope maybe I can donate time. Sometimes you can't find all the bugs in testing. You find more of them in actual use. Out in the field, so to speak.

When I find a setup I can work with, and it's pretty reliable, then I stick with it. I would have stuck with Mint but the problem there was that there'd be a gap between the version I had installed and the next LTS verison or I would have to re-install the whole OS once a month for a couple months. And that was the other thing: having to reinstall every time a new LTS version comes along.

However, I'm finding I don't mind total reinstallation as now I have a good method of doing that and configuring and backing up, etc. But I don't want to do it all that often. This is why I like Solyd. You really shouldn't have to ever reinstall. But me, I goof things up even on my production/main system so I'd reinstall. But it's not at all that often. Three times though: 1. because I dropped being a tester, 2. because I wanted to dual-boot windows 7, 3. because I decided I really don't need to have windows 7 on the system. :) But that's my problems. If I didn't teeter with dual-boot and testing, etc. I probably would never had needed to reinstall at all even yet.

I like the idea of UPs but not too happy when things break. But then I think, well, I'll find fixes, try to let folks know what happend, maybe how to fix it if possible and try to give back and make Solyd better, if I can contribute. So even the breakages are just seen as an opportunity to help.

You don't get that in the "Windows world". You get "I want it to work. I want it to work now. If it doesn't, then fix it for me. End of discussion." Too many are in that mindset and the "Linux Community" idea of helping each other and those that made the operating system is still very new to them (which when I think about it, it's a shame). In the "Windows world" it's just MS and the consumer and MS really doesn't want to help the consumer all that much. Often folks are told to "reinstall Windows" or "buy the upgrade/next version for $200+". :(

Kena azul

Postby Kena azul » 06 Aug 2014 17:01

How do you put the "user Solyd" sign in your signature ? I'm new on the forum.
Sony Vaio Intel Core i3 M330 2.13 GHz
4 Go RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 5400
ArchLinux 64 XFCE / Solydx 64 XFCE / Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”