With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
_q_

Re: With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model

Postby _q_ » 06 Aug 2014 17:08

better answer below!

SolydXK is such a delicious flavor of Debian!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 17:24

Under the main SolydXK Header banner at the top of the page, find "User Control Panel" link and click on that.

Click the Profile Tab.
Click the "Signature" tab on the left menu.
Click in the edit box and click "Userbar" button (it's on the upper right).
If you hover over the "Userbar" button you'll see text that you can add in between the Userbar tags.

For example, my sig contains this:

(userbar)solydkuser(/userbar)

(Only instead of () you would use [] - I used () so that you could see the actual code and not have the forum show a userbar.)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 17:25

_q_ wrote:User Control Panel (upper left)-->Profile (tab)-->Edit signature (text link on left)

Code: Select all

[img]http://solydxk.com/content/pics/userbars/solydkuser.png[/img]
They have a userbar button and tag so using img and trying to remember a long link isn't necessary any longer. :)

Kena azul

Postby Kena azul » 06 Aug 2014 17:29

RavenLX wrote:Under the main SolydXK Header banner at the top of the page, find "User Control Panel" link and click on that.
Click the Profile Tab.
Click the "Signature" tab on the left menu.
Click in the edit box and click "Userbar" button (it's on the upper right).
If you hover over the "Userbar" button you'll see text that you can add in between the Userbar tags.
Thank you ; it's Ok now :)
Sony Vaio Intel Core i3 M330 2.13 GHz
4 Go RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 5400
ArchLinux 64 XFCE / Solydx 64 XFCE / Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Aug 2014 17:52

You're welcome. Sig looking good. :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic... :)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Aug 2014 19:48

With all this talk about changing the Solydxk Model to a less frequent update schedule and being more stable than it already is (in my opinion) I am looking at some other distros that are a rolling release such as Arch.
The antergos spin looks interesting in such that it comes pre configured and will let you start out with a variety of DE.
Arch has always interested me although hard to first setup.
You can make it into whatever you want.
Right now a lot of the same packages that Solyd has Antergos has slightly updated ones.
Curious to know what others are thinking.
if you want a challenge on debian you could jump into testing or sid and maintain "your own distro". personally I won't recommend to use a distro based on a pure arch since they're quite wild and not easy to maintain. nevertheless, you could use an arch compatible distro such as manjaro. compared to a pure arch, manjaro with their UP system doesn't goes as wild as a pure arch. if you're bored with UP system you could jump into manjaro's testing branch and enjoy a fully rolling release system.

Whell

Postby Whell » 14 Aug 2014 02:44

For me, boring is better. :lol:

Seriously, I want to install the OS and then have it get out of my way, and just work. I don't regard the OS as a toy that needs to be tinkered with.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 14 Aug 2014 03:36

Thought I would add my 2 cents. I'm using SolydX as my main system and it would take an awful lot of breakage and non support beofre I would consider leaving. This forum and the knowledge of the Admins, dev's, and testers who support SolydXK is hard to find anywhere else.

With that being said......I run several VirtualBox VM's for testing other distro's and my Win7 install. On one of my VM's I'm running Sparky Linux and that bad boy is getting daily updates and has not broken yet. The developer has a program called Spark APTus which allows you to do an apt update and it offers two system upgrades, one is "Safely Upgrade your system" and the other is "Fully Upgrade your System". I have been doing the "Safely Upgrade your system" option, which holds back alot of packages, but the system has not broke yet, and I've been updating it daily for 6 weeks.

I have to say at this point if I were to leave SolydXK, I would most likely install Sparky and contiune on.

Just throwing this out....no way am I advocating anyone leaving SolydXK.

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Aug 2014 12:57

Sparky is based on Debian testing, too. Just like SolydXK.
SparkyLinux is a lightweight, fast and simple Linux distribution disigned for both old and new computers featuring customized Enlightenment and LXDE desktops. It has been built on the “testing” branch of Debian GNU/Linux.
Unless a distro utilizes apt-pinning or doesn't use Debian testing mirrors, anything committed to Debian testing will be propagated to the distro when you update.

I don't think the SolydXK devs should maintain their own repositories, since that would take them away from developing their own unique SolydXK tools and providing a great out of the box experience.

-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Aug 2014 14:07

Just my .02

Maintinaing their own repos would be like mirroring testing, and then adding what you customize to it. Could be an advantage.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Aug 2014 14:29

No, it's different. Maintaining is not the same as hosting.

The devs would have to hold back updates to Debian testing if they're bad, or repackage them at best (or pin).
This is what Ubuntu does. There are many, many, many more folks at Ubuntu than SolydXK and they still hiccup.

"stable", "testing" and "unstable" explained
apt-pin

As a side note, I cannot count the number of times I've read in a Debian "stable" forum, "Why is this version of Firefox [or other software] so old?"

Since SolydXK is based on Debian, you can go stable->testing->unstable (or wheezy(stable)-> jessie-> sid) depending on your tolerance of churn.
If you go up, it's harder to go down and usually you'll bork your system.
If you go stable->testing->unstable, then you'll always pick up what's in the respective repo
If you go wheezy(stable)-> jessie-> sid, then you'll follow say, jessie when it moves to stable. sid is always unstable.

There are quite a few distros based on unstable. (Ubuntu is even a mix of unstable/testing based on snapshot every 6 months). If you go unstable, you'll get newer software at the cost of more potential breakages. But since that repos is much more active (compared to the others) you'll get quicker fixes. If you go testing, then fewer potential breakages, but slightly older software. If you go stable, then you'll have older software, usually with backports for enhancements and bug fixes from testing.

-Hinto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Aug 2014 16:56

If SolydXK didn't maintain their own repos, who would? Debian? As you pointed out, what if some of it was "bad"? Then we'd get the "bad" stuff too.

I think that SolydXK needs more people with some good experience to help out.

Deleted User 2763

Postby Deleted User 2763 » 14 Aug 2014 17:02

Look at sources.list (or sources.list.d) they are mainly Debian.
SolydXK maintains the SolydXK specific packages . The rest if from Debian. That's the way Debian works.
Anything else is an independent distro.
-H

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”