What's the best ?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Mefisto

What's the best ?

Postby Mefisto » 30 Nov 2014 13:03

Hallo all,
After Mint, i installed SolydX and i like it very much, works fine, more than fine, and is me first choise.
In short time a have to replace me older computers, they have Nvidia 304 graphic drivers...
If i am well inforled the support for Nvidia will stop in 2019 and be replaced with the Nouveau drivers.
Two computers cost money. Now some advice from anyone, it will be appriciared !
WHAT is best : Buying only desktop computers with only Intel inside ? Or sould i consider Nvidia ?
In the beginnig Nvidia was NO problem on Linux, now i am not convinced anymore. :?
Some advice or any discussions are welcome before i give 1500 euro's for me computers.
Thanks in advance.
Mefisto
Linux user for 7 years and enjoi it.

Andrew

Re: What's the best ?

Postby Andrew » 30 Nov 2014 22:24

Hi Mefisto. My desktop has an Nvidia graghics card & I'm using the Nouveau drivers with no problems at all.
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 07:17

they have Nvidia 304 graphic drivers...
If i am well inforled the support for Nvidia will stop in 2019 and be replaced with the Nouveau drivers.
Are you sure that's true? I haven't found any info about it. If you mean that your particular card generation support will be dropped in 2019 by Nvidia, then it may be true. As an example, my current GPU generation, G7X, will be dropped in 2017. Still two years to go (if it happens to keep working). But the support for them was dropped by Nouveau last january. Don't trust that Nouveau will be keeping support for all those old cards. Support for them come and go more often than in non-fee Nvidia legacy drivers (304).

In my particular case I plan to replace my card within these two next years before it gets dropped by Nvidia. And don't expect to find it supported by Nouveau anymore.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 01 Dec 2014 12:08

Andrew wrote:Hi Mefisto. My desktop has an Nvidia graghics card & I'm using the Nouveau drivers with no problems at all.
thanks for the reply, now i use the legacy driver for Nvidia304, i see what i gonna do;
greetings,
Mefisto

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 01 Dec 2014 12:22

Snap wrote:
they have Nvidia 304 graphic drivers...
Are you sure that's true? I haven't found any info about it. If you mean that your particular card generation support will be dropped in 2019 by Nvidia, then it may be true. ( That's wat i mean, so i am not so happy with that )As an example, my current GPU generation, G7X, will be dropped in 2017. Still two years to go (if it happens to keep working). But the support for them was dropped by Nouveau last january. Don't trust that Nouveau will be keeping support for all those old cards. Support for them come and go more often than in non-fee Nvidia legacy drivers (304).

In my particular case I plan to replace my card within these two next years before it gets dropped by Nvidia. And don't expect to find it supported by Nouveau anymore.
Thanks, i gonna see wat i do. The computershop has tree computers i like...
A : HP, but the graphic card is Nvidia Gforge and 1TB...
B : ACER with also 1TB, but Intel inside also the Graphic card...
C : DELL : Don't now the specifications of that computer, must go see one of those day's...
OR, MEDION, can buy in the Aldi for 600 euro's... Got 2TB but also Nvidia as graphic card. It are good computers i hear.
Well, i go to the shop and let me inform further, because all the computers are pre-installed with Win 8...
I find wen i buy a new computer, it has to be one with a EMPTY harddisk, and i have the freedom to choose me own OS, but...
Anyway, i gonna ask for a emty hard disk, i buy 2 computers, i don't think they gonna do that.
Greetings, and thanks again
Mefisto

Snap

Postby Snap » 01 Dec 2014 14:20

You can always format the entire HD from system installers. If don't want Win 8 you can easily sweep it away.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 02 Dec 2014 08:44

Snap wrote:You can always format the entire HD from system installers. If don't want Win 8 you can easily sweep it away.
Gonna do this, its not me favorite OS you now, i am to long a Linux fan... So :D
Greetings,
Mefisto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 12:46

I'm successfully running SolydK HE on an HP Paviliion 23-g010 All-In-One desktop PC. You can see the specs to it in the link in my signature. In summary though, it has an 1.3 GHz Quad-Core SoC AMD Kabini E2-3800 and AMD Radeon HD 8280 graphics combined with the CPU. It works pretty good for my needs (and believe me, I'll be really giving this machine a workout). I run Virtual Machines on it no problem as well. I have upgraded it to 16GB RAM and a 1TB Hard Drive. The desktop was a gift but you can get them for around $400 or less on Amazon.com and maybe elsewheres. I'd say it's a pretty decent machine. I even have it dual-booting Windows 8.1 (which came with it)!

I think overall, SolydXK should run on nearly anything. And we do need testers to test things out on the most obscure hardware possible as well as the most common hardware. :)

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 05 Dec 2014 13:03

RavenLX wrote:I'm successfully running SolydK HE on an HP Paviliion 23-g010 All-In-One desktop PC. You can see the specs to it in the link in my signature. In summary though, it has an 1.3 GHz Quad-Core SoC AMD Kabini E2-3800 and AMD Radeon HD 8280 graphics combined with the CPU. It works pretty good for my needs (and believe me, I'll be really giving this machine a workout). I run Virtual Machines on it no problem as well. I have upgraded it to 16GB RAM and a 1TB Hard Drive. The desktop was a gift but you can get them for around $400 or less on Amazon.com and maybe elsewheres. I'd say it's a pretty decent machine. I even have it dual-booting Windows 8.1 (which came with it)!

I think overall, SolydXK should run on nearly anything. And we do need testers to test things out on the most obscure hardware possible as well as the most common hardware. :)
Because i need two computers, for me and me lady, we have seen HP all in one to, its a realy good choise, here in pur city one cost 1.000 Euro's. So i must pay 2.000 €...
At the moment we wait untill januari, Christmas and Newjear you now... That cost to. :roll:
When we have the computers i gonna install on one SolydX, because i find it works very well.
If things stay good, i install it also on me lady her machine to.
Hope realy that SolydX gonna have a long live !
Greetings,
Mefisto

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 13:10

This time of year may be just the right time to shop for a computer as many places worldwide run deals and discounts around the holidays. After the holidays it may be too late. Either they won't have them anymore or the prices will be higher.

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 05 Dec 2014 14:14

RavenLX wrote:This time of year may be just the right time to shop for a computer as many places worldwide run deals and discounts around the holidays. After the holidays it may be too late. Either they won't have them anymore or the prices will be higher.
Your right... We gonna give ourselfs a nice Newyear gift, if its with a little discount :lol:
Mefisto

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 05 Feb 2015 13:32

Thanks all for the good advice...
Sorry i was absent for a while, the mean reason, me computer crashed every 4 day's.
I now there is nothing broken, i must find out what's wrong. I now its not SolydX.
And before i forget... To everyone a happy and great 2015 ! Better late than never :oops:

Mefisto

Postby Mefisto » 10 Feb 2015 10:34

Me final conclusion is the follow....
On me HP with Nvidia it is done with Linux for a while, until i buy a new, or better 2 new computers, that cost money...
SolydX is very good, but, if i look in the past, there was support for all drivers, Linux works always out of the box. No hassle with Graphic cards or other drivers. That was a fact.
Point : The nouveau drivers are not good on me computer. Therefore i must make a choice, trowing me good computer on the garbage or buy a new one. Cost 900 euro's, for the 2 its a big cost and we are still working on our house...
Open Source is good, but for some drivers ???? I think some things you can not change and there will always be need for the proprietary drivers. A friend of me his computer is 10 years old and still running with Windows 7.
Sorry, but that is me opinion.
After so many years i have problems with finding a distro that runs with me right drivers, very, very sad !
Greetings,
mefisto

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”