Not much going on in the forum lately

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
MAYBL8

Not much going on in the forum lately

Postby MAYBL8 » 12 Dec 2014 12:41

Since Schoelje has scaled back and ZZ has left not much activity here.
When Jessie becomes stable and Solyd becomes stable at the same time I see even less activity ahead.
Maybe i am over exagerating but are we dying a slow death here?
Please don't flame me.
I am staying no matter what but it just seems very depressing to me here lately. Just saying.

rokytnji

Re: Not much going on in the forum lately

Postby rokytnji » 12 Dec 2014 13:59

It is the holiday season.

Some folks are more prone to depression during this time of year.
Thankfully, I am not one of them.

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 12 Dec 2014 14:27

@MABYL8 - I too have noticed the lack of activity and it seems like there are really maybe half a dozen regularly contributing. I hope as you say that it is not an indication of a falloff.

Regarding Jessie going stable - over at the Crunchbang forum activity is high even though it is based on stable. It's forum seems to have morphed into a community in its own right almost regardless of the underlying distro
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

excollier

Postby excollier » 12 Dec 2014 14:30

I think the leaving of the two mainstays of the distro has shocked more than just a few people here, and elsewhere.
I had settled on SolydK BE as my main distro after much distro hopping, and now I think I will have to move again next year.
Systemd has me concerned for the general future of Linux, and there is no way I am going back to Windows.
SolydXK seemed settled and secure, I hope the community can keep it that way.
Been looking at Salix and PC-BSD as alternatives.
Also I guess it's a good sign, quietness, it means everything must be running pretty smoothly.

Zill

Postby Zill » 12 Dec 2014 16:00

excollier wrote:Also I guess it's a good sign, quietness, it means everything must be running pretty smoothly.
And that is the point! It is only when people have problems that they need to post so an absence of activity is really a good sign that SolydXK is just chugging along quietly in the background - as a good distro should! :-)

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Dec 2014 18:10

Hey, guys. You're already missing the UPs! :lol:

Those were hyperactive periods, but those days are over. When things run smooth, systems become boring. You can only produce with them. You don't need to fight them issues anymore. Damnit! 8-)

Now more seriously. Yes, The scaling down, Schoelje popping in less and zz gone... made a big difference.

The Crunchbang forum is an special case. It's one of those typical stop bys. They are a reference for anyone using OpenBox, Conky ot tint2. I don't post often but usually peek there. It's an "old" and well settled distro with many enthusiasts. But many of the habitual posters are former #! users that don't use it anymore but love the community and like to keep contributing. Wish some day we achieve a similar status here. It's in our hands, buddies.
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Dec 2014 19:53

Snap, that was priceless, right on, very insightful. As for me, I'm always lurking at least. I enjoy posting here, and so have actually had to force myself to stay away because I'm never prepared for the holidays, and anyway I've slowed way down from my more youthful, precocious, and sprightly self... Why, only six weeks ago I was a lot more youthful! :lol:

I realize I also made promises I couldn't keep, for the time being, anyway.

We are now free to operate at a more leisurely pace, and what I see now is everyone about the business, in an atmosphere that allows for more careful QA. In addition, I'm sure there may be a sigh of relief in some quarters I won't mention... ;)

I'm sure not going anywhere. Many forums slow down at times. This community has always been fun, and a great place to be. I don't see that part going anywhere. I thought way back when we very first discontinued the UPs that we would wind up with a smaller/changed user base, maybe a slow shift toward more of those users who prefer running Stable.

I think when these things happen there can be a certain amount of initial shock and knee-jerk reactions from those who panic, or are terrified that Solyd will disappear. I don't believe Solyd will disappear. The project has simply been reduced to a more manageable size, taking into account many factors which made it necessary. Well, ya can't please 'em all. If the reduction had not happened, Solyd would not be here today.

Forum posters are the minority. I'm guessing that download stats have decreased, but I don't think they've gone entirely flat. I think once folks realize that Solyd isn't going anywhere, but instead has taken a more relaxed approach (It's ready when it's ready! :) ) -- that things will still wind up pretty steady, if not as "big" as before. But then, you know me, I've never been convinced that bigger=better... I think we're just going thru a slow time, and the forum will pick up too. But not frantic like before. 8-)

Again, my wholly biased and unfounded opinion... :mrgreen:

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 12 Dec 2014 20:07

I too noticed that it has been quieter lately. But as mentioned, I think it also has a lot to do with a stable distro. When nothing breaks there is nothing to talk about. I seem to stick around the forums more than I should because I just enjoy the company and helping out others when I can. For me the community is as important as the distro itself. And SolydXK has one of the best communities around.

Of course there are other reasons for things being quieter too. I think a lot of Linux users are people just looking at Linux like it is a toy they play with. They want the latest and greatest of everything, so they flock to rolling distros. They crave the changing nature of it and they want to feel like they are on the bleeding edge of something great. Stabilty of the distro is less important than the excitement in the community, because they don't really use it for day to day production. I think many of those people have gone.

Our community is changing. We are now developing into a community that is more focused on a Stable/long term distro that works as a day to day OS. Something that is more suitable for business and creating data. Not just browsing the web and consuming data. SolydXK is growing into its name. Its becoming a more solid and mature distro. Some may find this boring and leave to a distro that offers more excitement. But eventually others that are looking for a stable and reliable distro will join us.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Dec 2014 20:19

Fargo wrote:For me the community is as important as the distro itself. And SolydXK has one of the best communities around.....Our community is changing. We are now developing into a community that is more focused on a Stable/long term distro that works as a day to day OS..... SolydXK is growing into its name. Its becoming a more solid and mature distro. Some may find this boring and leave to a distro that offers more excitement. But eventually others that are looking for a stable and reliable distro will join us.
Bravo Fargo, well spoken. I think the quintessential example of this type of approach is the MX/Mepis/antiX folks. They move at a leisurely pace, don't sweat the small stuff, and have remained current. Most have day jobs. They do it as time allows, and things get slow, and that's ok. Nobody's going anywhere. Very inspirational. As far as Debian goes, theirs is the only other project besides Solyd that I allow near my machines... 8-)

Ok, I'm a snob, but what can I say? I'm all grouchy and set in my ways... :lol:
Rocky wrote:Crunchbang forum .... seems to have morphed into a community in its own right almost regardless of the underlying distro
The same could be said of the Mepis group. The community stayed together long after development of Mepis ceased. Eventually they decided that since they were still a very-much-alive community, they probably ought to have a distro to go with it -- And so they banded together with Anti and the crew, and MX was born, inheriting the quality of its predecessor, with lotsa antiX goodies to boot.

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Dec 2014 20:48

+1 Fargo.
I think the quintessential example of this type of approach is the MX/Mepis/antiX folks. They move at a leisurely pace, don't sweat the small stuff, and have remained current. Most have day jobs. They do it as time allows, and things get slow, and that's ok. Nobody's going anywhere. Very inspirational. As far as Debian goes, theirs is the only other project besides Solyd that I allow near my machines..
Right. The antiX community is another great one where you can always can find help, support and solutions in a friendly way. AntiX is one of those few distros that uses to be amongst my VMs but it comes and go over and over again. I always have one issue or another with antiX, but I love the way it's customized besides it's quite crude visually. Paraphrasing fargo, I use it like a toy to play with. I still prefer the sober and elegant Crunchbang Waldorf, which never fails or has any hickup. Rock solid and sooo... boring. It's always in. :mrgreen:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Dec 2014 21:03

I'm extremely partial to MX myself. I use antiX too, on the really old ones.

My newest hardware, the shiny new 2009 model, likes Solyd64 best ... :)

Snap

Postby Snap » 12 Dec 2014 21:11

I installed MX once and lasted for an an hour or less. Just reinstalled antiX again. :lol: xfce is not for me. Gimme a spoonful of that fluxbox medicine, buddy! 8-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 12 Dec 2014 21:20

Snap wrote:Gimme a spoonful of that fluxbox medicine, buddy! 8-)
Yeah, I should have qualified that. :D

The P3s get antiX/Fluxbox. SolydX32 works, MX works, but antiX/Fluxbox is lightest and better for them (that is, while still retaining a fully functional desktop - don't wanna go any lighter if I can help it...) MX for the P4s. Solyd64, K or X, for my two dual core machines -- This laptop, which is a Core2Duo P8600 (2.4g), and a Dell gx620 (2006) which is a Pentium D 945 (3.4g). I can deal with Xfce, and so I think MX, being 32bit only, is a perfect counter to Solyd, which is now 64bit only...

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 13 Dec 2014 02:57

Hey! Get off my lawn. :lol:

Sysremd, Jessie Freeze. Take some of these things into account when dealing with custom
Debian live isos like SolydXK and others.

Being a team member myself. I just hate it when systemd does not play well with custom
written scripts in /usr/local/bin. Then stuff breaks. Just dead when you hit a button with your mouse and a left click.

So a slowdown is normal when dealing with all the drama this year with where Gnu/Linux is heading in general
this New Years. I told Anti way back. Don't feel pressure to push 14 from me.
It will be ready when it is ready. 1st need to break some sh****t 1st to see where the road blocks are at.

I hope this distro takes the same approach. Be ready when ready. No need to bum rush the release cycles.
Polished is better than half hazard.

I always wondered why the UM needed to be included in this Distro. Apt and Wajig has always been a friend to me.
But it is what it is. I can take it or leave it. I cannot break my SolydX netbook yet. But it is not from a lack of trying,
I can assure you. I run testing in it.

So test the community releases guys. The more feedback in that thread. The better. I have no dog in this fight
but you boys and girls do. Have at it. A distro is just as good as it's community I say.

Snickers as he thinks why the heck Anti made him a mod at AntiX forums.
Now you know why my initial response referred to the holidays and depression in general.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Dec 2014 03:49

rokytnji wrote:Snickers as he thinks why the heck Anti made him a mod at AntiX forums.
Now you know why my initial response referred to the holidays and depression in general.
8-) :lol: :twisted:

You are ModeratorMan! You Are Doomed! You gotta put yer draws on over your pants and a big "M" on your chest!

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 09:11

So a slowdown is normal when dealing with all the drama this year with where Gnu/Linux is heading in general
this New Years. I told Anti way back. Don't feel pressure to push 14 from me.
It will be ready when it is ready. 1st need to break some sh****t 1st to see where the road blocks are at.

I hope this distro takes the same approach. Be ready when ready. No need to bum rush the release cycles.
Polished is better than half hazard.
Well said, Roky.
I always wondered why the UM needed to be included in this Distro. Apt and Wajig has always been a friend to me.
Wajig? Never heard of it... Gonna do some searches.

First match and already wondering why I never heard of it in two years on Debian. :roll: This deserves some good reading. Thanks, Roky!

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Dec 2014 09:41

Snap wrote:Wajig? Never heard of it... Gonna do some searches.
That's a new one on me too, thanks Rok... ;)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Dec 2014 12:13

Thank guys, I really enjoyed reading through this topic.

Surprisingly enough, the main site still has about 2000 hits and 100 downloads a day. That is not different from a few months ago.

I don't know Wajig either. Let me know what you think of it. I'd like to know if it's extensible (I'm thinking about our pre- and post-scripts that we can push to our users with UM).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 12:48

the main site still has about 2000 hits and 100 downloads a day
This doesn't match with a slow death, does it? 8-)

We don't see many complaints and problems reported here. So it's clear SolydXK keeps going healthy and trouble free. Guys, If we find the forums steady and boring... let's make good howtos or build respins! :lol:

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 13 Dec 2014 12:52

Snap wrote:
the main site still has about 2000 hits and 100 downloads a day
This doesn't match with a slow death, does it? 8-)
Really good to know. I thought if anything, downloads may have dropped a bit. Good to know there has been no change! But then I have faith. Build it good, and they will come. And most will stay. Forum posters are the minority. We are just the kooks out here who are crazy enough to post in forums! :lol:

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”