So long, CrunchBang. Welcome Bunsen Labs

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Snap

So long, CrunchBang. Welcome Bunsen Labs

Postby Snap » 17 Feb 2015 09:18

This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Zill

Re: So long, CrunchBang. Welcome Bunsen Labs

Postby Zill » 17 Feb 2015 11:59

It is good to see the "old team" (minus one VIP!) getting fully behind the successor to CrunchBang. There were one or two attempts to "hijack" the CrunchBang name and/or community but I am hopeful that they have now been nullified by the good work being done by the Bunsen Labs team.

In time, I am sure they will produce an excellent successor to the great CrunchBang distro, retaining the virtues of lightness and functional efficiency.

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 17 Feb 2015 18:07

This is really great news! I have a lot of fond memories of my beginnings with !#. It's one of those distros that I just sort of thought would always be there. I'm really glad someone else picked up the banner and continued to carry on... 8-)

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Feb 2015 04:37

Just put together my first Bunsen Labs thing yesterday. It turned out nicely. It's a nice thing to try for those who like tinkering.

There are some different approaches going in the community trying to dissect what makes Debian to become Crunchbang and figuring out the different ways to achieve it before deciding the official way. It seems they plan to build isos for the lazy and the noobs, but IMHO, building it is the really interesting way and what corenominal, the CrunchBang creator, asked to the community to do. the Debian net install is not as cryptic as installing Arch and also has a nice graphical mode for those not wanting to go strictly in text mode. It's not difficult at all. (Don't forget to untick the first two options Gnome, of course, and the first one. Something called desktop basics, or essentials, or something like that. Otherwise you'll get Gnome installed).

I just followed the "Wally" method by johnraff. Most are using a desktop and later stripping it down. This method just installs what's needed to get a Waldorf-like Jessie from a net install plus the modified waldorf goodies deb packages. It seems the more interesting one for me.

I started from the jessie release candidate non-free net install. I didn't followed the johnraff's Cheat Sheet strictly. I've changed some things, skipped some bits and added others, but in the end I've got a very Waldorf like jessie. It still need a few tweaks but it's almost there.

Direct Link

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Feb 2015 11:44

Snap wrote:... It seems they plan to build isos for the lazy and the noobs, but IMHO, building it is the really interesting way and what corenominal, the CrunchBang creator, asked to the community to do...
I disagree that community-built ISOs are just for "the lazy and the noobs"! I am certainly not a noob, having used Linux systems for around fifteen years now. While I may well be lazy, the main reason I won't build a system myself is simply because I can't!

I have picked up enough stuff over the years to tinker, tweak and repair my Linux systems, but I have never had any formal software training and therefore don't know where to start with coding scripts and using the various programming tools.

So, for us oldies who grew up in the valve age (vacuum tubes for our American cousins), and regard TTL as high-tech, creating a new OS is magic way beyond our capabilities.

To take an analogy... Just because a good mechanic can keep a car running well, doesn't mean that they can build their own car from scratch!

Snap

Postby Snap » 18 Feb 2015 12:30

It's not from scratch. It's just Debian. A pure Debian installer and later tweaking the system in certain way. And not too much, actually. That's why corenominal considers that makes no sense to mantain a distro like this any longer. It's essentially Debian with a given set of apps that anyone can choose and install, a given window manager and a few configuration scripts and files.

If you install Debian with LXDE and later remove most of the LXDE packages keeping OpenBox you'll get almost there too. Not exactly waldorf but very close to it. That's more or less what Bunsen Labs is after too. Or what pvsage (the guy in charge) is trying to follow for now. Not matching waldorf but keep going close to it's philosophy.

Zill

Postby Zill » 18 Feb 2015 15:52

Thanks Snap. Unfortunately, I think my efforts would most likely result in something like this...
Trabant.jpeg
Trabant.jpeg (12.02 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
Whereas I actually want one of these...
Aston-Martin.jpg
Aston-Martin.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
:lol:

Snap

Postby Snap » 19 Feb 2015 10:00

Hmmm... the first one is charming. :mrgreen:

I see your point. And I think it's a good idea to make an iso with everything setup and configured. A legion of Debian users don't use just Debian, because of that barebones nature that a plain Debian install has. Most of us use pre-configured Debian spins (CrunchBang, SolydXK, LMDE, etc...) to avoid the time and effort of getting all that config and setup job done.

What I tried to say, sorry to say that about the noobs and the lazy, is that Crunchbang it's quite simple compared with other distros and specially for those who choose to use a window manager instead of a desktop environment. Anyone using a WM needs to face the fact that will have little GUI config tools and loads of config files editing. Though many folks think contrary, I've never seen CrunchBang as a newbie distro. You need to dive into the system. DEs are way more suited for newcomers or those not wanting to waste time scouting and editing config files. This is the reason why, personally, I (still) don't think isos are a must for a system like Bunsen Labs. Anyone used to WMs should be able to put together BL with much hassle. Apart of the looks, OpenBox and the set of apps, obviously, IMHO what makes Crunchbang are the pipemenus and the config scripts offered for the user. Most #! users don't like or use cb-hacks other than pipemenus. So in the end it's plain Debian with openbox and a bunch of custom scripts that can be downloaded and installed from github.

Anyway. It will be great if isos are released. Sure they will be released some day.

Night Wing

Postby Night Wing » 19 Feb 2015 10:23

Zill wrote:I disagree that community-built ISOs are just for "the lazy and the noobs"! I am certainly not a noob, having used Linux systems for around fifteen years now. While I may well be lazy, the main reason I won't build a system myself is simply because I can't!

I have picked up enough stuff over the years to tinker, tweak and repair my Linux systems, but I have never had any formal software training and therefore don't know where to start with coding scripts and using the various programming tools.

So, for us oldies who grew up in the valve age (vacuum tubes for our American cousins), and regard TTL as high-tech, creating a new OS is magic way beyond our capabilities.
I could not have said it any better and totally agree with your comments.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 20 Feb 2015 22:16

A Burning Desire - For Linux!

The Mr. Wizard Labs!

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”