Solydxk Updates service for Debian stable?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
pipeboyjam

Solydxk Updates service for Debian stable?

Postby pipeboyjam » 19 Apr 2015 18:18

Hi

Was wondering if an update service program instead of a separate distro is a better way to keep this project alive. A piece of software that would install the software manager, point it to your more tested repositories and switch to solydxk updates on the xfce and kde versions of Debian?.

Because I think with the new installer, it makes installing software a breeze, even easier than windows. So there doesn't seem to be any need to maintain your own distro.

kurotsugi

Re: Solydxk Updates service for Debian stable?

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Apr 2015 18:35

I believe that was what we already done. most of our packages are taken from debian repo. we only build our home breed softwares while the other stuffs are taken directly from debian repo.

pipeboyjam

Postby pipeboyjam » 20 Apr 2015 06:06

Yes I suspected that's what you did.

But to use the solydxk features people need to install your entire os.

What I'm suggesting is that instead of forcing people to install an entire os. You can instead make a piece of software which modifies the debian stable release with the features of solydxk

That way you could utilize the already very large debian stable fan community to work on this solydxk piece of software. I think that's a better way to achieve your goals of a more stable os.

So instead of an os, solydxk would become just a piece of software more stability concious debian stable users would install

This creates a much lower barrier of entry as all debian stable users can use it or stop using it with just an uninstall. And the people working on Debian stable who want more stability would join your team.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Apr 2015 06:47

If it was that simple I wouldn't have been here.
However, I know I'm not that smart. So, if you think you, or anybody else, knows how to do that and is willing to create that package and maintain it, please do. I'll gladly admit that you are the better of us two and stop SolydXK.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Apr 2015 11:25

the thing is you still need to install the OS. with solydxk the process is simplified by install solyxdxk stuff along with debian as the base. with your proposed idea user need to install debian, configure his system then execute the program to install solydxk stuff. that's a long process and user need an internet connection to do that.

your idea actually have been implemented in the past. there was a program to turn a debian proper/LMDE into solydxk. the problem is:
1. the process is long, complicated and quite confusing new linux user.
2. user need internet connection and he need to download quite large amount of data.
3. it's hard to create that program.
thus, the idea is abandoned and now we're using the common method using live-installer to install solydxk.

Zill

Postby Zill » 20 Apr 2015 19:58

pipeboyjam wrote:... But to use the solydxk features people need to install your entire os.
Not true. All SolydXK-specific code is open-source (licensed under the LGPL) and so anyone can use it freely.
pipeboyjam wrote:... What I'm suggesting is that instead of forcing people to install an entire os. You can instead make a piece of software which modifies the debian stable release with the features of solydxk
No-one is forced to do anything. You are free to choose whether to install SolydXK or not. Similarly, you are free to make a piece of software etc. as you wish. Just do not expect someone else to do something like this if you are not prepared to do it yourself!
pipeboyjam wrote:... That way you could utilize the already very large debian stable fan community to work on this solydxk piece of software. I think that's a better way to achieve your goals of a more stable os.
SolydXK, with its Debian Stable base could not be more stable!
pipeboyjam wrote:... So instead of an os, solydxk would become just a piece of software more stability concious debian stable users would install
SolydXK is a well balanced collection of software packages with two different desktop environments available. This system does not easily reduce down to a single package and would not gain anything if it did!
pipeboyjam wrote:... This creates a much lower barrier of entry as all debian stable users can use it or stop using it with just an uninstall. And the people working on Debian stable who want more stability would join your team.
There is no entry barrier as SolydXK can be tried as a live session without needing to install. Those who like it can install it as either a sole-OS or as part of a multi-OS system.

My personal opinion is that it is rather arrogant for someone to turn up here from "out of the blue" and tell us how things should be done. While constructive criticism is generally welcome, I do suggest that you could have taken some time using this great distro first, and participating in the forums, before offering such unsolicited "advice".

pipeboyjam

Postby pipeboyjam » 21 Apr 2015 01:55

The famous linux community!, quite a distasteful and rude response.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Apr 2015 06:55

Although I don't think pipeboyjam's intentions were to insult anybody but his suggestion obviously hit a sensitive nerve. New users can expect a warm welcome here. However, you now see that a badly phrased remark, even with the best intentions, can have a negative response. To blame the entire Linux community without any self-criticism is, to put it mildly, not entirely fair to the millions of people who are making open source possible. Of course, you are very welcome to stay and try again by starting to present yourself in our "Introduce Yourself" section. It's the equivalent of hands shaking when you first meet each other.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”