Phinx Desktop

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
troypulk

Phinx Desktop

Postby troypulk » 19 May 2015 01:25

Does anyone know about this Linux Distro?

The web site was http://phinxrising.blogspot.com/ he lives in the UK.

I used it for about 6 months before he went through some hard times and quit, I really liked it because He created it with Xfce4 and Gtk3 with no Qt because it was too heavy, this was before systemd so it was using sysvinit.

He tried to keep it only to Xfce compatible programs and mostly free software but the base was PClinuxOS.

I'm looking for another Distro like this one, Does anyone know of one similar to this one?

Thanks

Zero Angel

Re: Phinx Desktop

Postby Zero Angel » 19 May 2015 01:42

PCLinuxOS also has an LXDE spin. I don't know if you've tried it but the last time I tested different DE's (about 3 years ago), LXDE was more lighter-weight and faster than XFCE.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 19 May 2015 03:28

Thanks,

I'm looking for the lightest and fastest Xfce Distro.

ray

Postby ray » 19 May 2015 11:17

Have you tried Solydx or alternatively Makulu, both very speedy Xfce distros

Ray

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 May 2015 15:40

if the aim is simply xfce then there's quite a lot of choices of it. xubuntu, xubuntu-core, manjaro, makulu, etc. in terms of speed it would be hard to beat gentoo.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 19 May 2015 15:57

Thanks,

Right now I'm using solydX.

Just looking for something to play with in VirtualBox.

wildman

Postby wildman » 19 May 2015 19:48

troypulk wrote:Just looking for something to play with in VirtualBox.
You might like this one.
https://www.linuxliteos.com/
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

dyfi

Postby dyfi » 20 May 2015 03:15

Antix mx14.4.

eselma

Postby eselma » 20 May 2015 16:24

dyfi wrote:Antix mx14.4.
I am running antix MX 14.4 32 bit too, and found it is a solid distro, with a good team behind, and a friendly community. 14.4 is still based on Wheezy, but they are ready to issue a new version (15) based on Jessie, and perhaps with 64 bit support too. Really deserves a closer look, if you are searching for a light, but powerful Xfce distro.

Mr. B

Postby Mr. B » 23 Aug 2015 17:07

troypulk wrote:Does anyone know about this Linux Distro?

The web site was http://phinxrising.blogspot.com/ he lives in the UK.

I used it for about 6 months before he went through some hard times and quit, I really liked it because He created it with Xfce4 and Gtk3 with no Qt because it was too heavy, this was before systemd so it was using sysvinit.

He tried to keep it only to Xfce compatible programs and mostly free software but the base was PClinuxOS.

I'm looking for another Distro like this one, Does anyone know of one similar to this one?

Thanks
A bit late but i have seen you asking about this distro on a couple of other forums. It has been discontinued since mid 2013.
The link to the site you gave was my blog and not the official home of Phinx Desktop. I was also the co-founder of Phinx. The official site disappeared after the owner and main developer shut down his servers at home.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 23 Aug 2015 18:33

Thanks for the info,

Yes, I am aware of his issues for closing down Phinx and I'm wondering if he will ever resurrect Phinx.

Thats why I asked if anyone here has heard of a Distro like this one before.

Mr. B

Postby Mr. B » 23 Aug 2015 20:18

I haven't spoken to Sproggy/Kori at all in the last two years plus i didn't see him online at all either and i don't think he will ever resurrect Phinx.

When he decided to give up on Phinx all of the sudden, i left the scene and closed the doors behind me. I kept the blog online just in case Phinx might return but after two years i doubt it ever will. If i had the experience back then, i would have continued with the project for sure. After all he was teaching me and two others how to package RPM's.... but that knowledge is something i lost too.

Also.... The actual plan was to release Phinx as a pure Xfce distro, including a 64bit version, but also pick up Phoenix Xfce with all the whistles and bells as it was in the PcLinuxOS edition if i remember correct.
Sadly it never was about to happen.

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 26 Aug 2015 12:29

Thanks for filling in the details, MR. B, like Paul Harvey used to say, now we know "the rest of the story."
I still keep an eye on the PCLinux forum. IKA's community xfce has recently been updated as well as Mignon
http://mignon.mypclinuxos.com another xfce spin. I take a look at Xfce distros whenever I can.

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 26 Aug 2015 14:08

jsalpha2 wrote:Thanks for filling in the details, MR. B, like Paul Harvey used to say, now we know "the rest of the story."
I still keep an eye on the PCLinux forum. IKA's community xfce has recently been updated as well as Mignon
http://mignon.mypclinuxos.com another xfce spin. I take a look at Xfce distros whenever I can.
jsalpha2, what other small Xfce distro's do you know about like the one in your link?

Thanks for the link, I'll have to try it out.

Mr. B

Postby Mr. B » 27 Aug 2015 14:59

I don't know if Paul (parnote) told you that info in private but if so i find it inappropriate to post it here out in the open.
It's up to Kori to decide if he wants to talk about his personal life out in the open or not. Not me, you or anyone else imho.
Parnote told me just now on IRC he can't recall talking to you after he read this topic and he hasn't talked to Kori in months.

Anyhoo... We can discuss the whole thing over and over again but as said before a resurrection of Phinx won't happen. Phinx is dead for 2 years now, it's gone, finished. Time to not post or ask questions related to the project, let it go and move on.

I kinda feel sorry i responded to this topic in the first place........

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Aug 2015 18:54

Mr. B,

I'm sorry to hear that this conversation made a turn into the wrong direction. Although I think that the person who posted the information did not do so with bad intentions it's important to respect ones privacy.

If Paul feels that some of the information here is private and that he'd like for it to be removed he can send me an e-mail: arjenbalfoort@solydxk.nl.

Regards,
Arjen

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

troypulk

Postby troypulk » 27 Aug 2015 20:50

I have removed the information Mr. B was talking about

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”