Active users

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
nomko

Active users

Postby nomko » 09 Dec 2015 14:41

I just wonder, how many active users are still using Solyd X/K? If i look at the members list, there are about 2159 users registered. Guessing that a big part just registered out of curiosity, took a look at the forum, logged out and never logged back in again.

How many users do have Solyd X/K installed and running it?
My notebook:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Zill

Re: Active users

Postby Zill » 09 Dec 2015 14:59

nomko wrote:...How many users do have Solyd X/K installed and running it?
All right - I will ask the obvious question...

How do you propose we measure this?

p.s. I am not sure that the answer to your question has any value as all I really need to know is that SolydX works well for me! ;-)

ilu

Postby ilu » 09 Dec 2015 18:10

People don't register to "take a look" - they can do that without registering. People register when they encounter a problem. As soon as the problem is solved they never log in again until the next problem if there ever is one.
Apart from that I agree with Zill: why do you even care?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Dec 2015 21:14

I am counting the use of our repository. Every unique IP address that has done ten apt commands on our repository is counted as a regular user. It's still an estimate, of course, but it's still a very conservative estimate.

Since we decided to follow stable our user count has dropped down to about 4500 regular users.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 09 Dec 2015 22:02

I have always been wary of estimates as the only thing I know for sure is that the resulting "number" is inevitably wrong since the assumptions used are rarely accurate.

Counting unique IP addresses only works for those users with a static WAN IP as, for those with a dynamic IP, the changing nature means that it is impossible to count how many apt commands are requested by any given system. Even when a static IP is used for a WAN connection, this may well be distributed via an LAN to numerous other systems.

I am not sure how many SolydXK mirrors are currently available but these will also distort counts.

So, while it is nice to come up with a number of regular users (4500), I do question what use can be made of this statistic. IMHO, whether SolydXK has 450,000 users or 45 users makes no significant difference to the way in which the distro is developed, maintained and supported. I appreciate that, where monetisation of the distro is vital, then the number of users matters. But the way SolydXK is currently running, I don't believe this is a factor to be considered.

Finally, I would not be concerned about any apparent drop in users. There are always users who want the latest shiny toy to play with and so they quickly move from distro to distro, usually chasing unstable or downright broken software. OTOH, users who just want a reliable system that works will opt for a boringly stable system such as SolydXK. Such users will rarely be seen on the support forums as they are running excellent systems that just work without any fuss!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Dec 2015 06:26

Of courser you are right, Zill, but still people love these estimates.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

nomko

Postby nomko » 10 Dec 2015 07:20

ilu wrote:People don't register to "take a look" - they can do that without registering. People register when they encounter a problem. As soon as the problem is solved they never log in again until the next problem if there ever is one.
I don't agree totally with this statement. As you look at the member list you will see a lot of users that are registered but never visited the forum after the registration date. They register today and the last visit date is also today's date. So yes, there are a lot of registered members here who, IMHO, only register "for fun and curiosity" a few years back in some (or most) cases, maybe not even interested in using Solyd X/K.

I think this discussion will eventually lead to nothing, so best is to close this thread.
My notebook:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 10 Dec 2015 23:52

nomko wrote:I think this discussion will eventually lead to nothing, so best is to close this thread.
On the contrary, I find it interesting exactly because of the lack of reliable statistics. One can still make deductions, such as SolydXK is less popular than Mint and more popular than RebeccaBlackOS http://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/ which gets 8 hits per day on Distrowatch and is themed about a singer I've never heard of. Of course, Distrowatch stats are no direct indication of popularity either - one of those 8 hits must have been mine.

I was led to SolydK by my own research, looking for a general purpose distro based on Debian (directly, not via Ubuntu) with KDE as the default DE, and free from any political agenda or other issues like admiring singers. You would think that would be simple set of criteria, but very few distros meet it (with Mepis and Crunchbang folding recently). Yet SolydXK seems a very minority distro, which does not matter as it is built from widely used components.

Yet folk are strange. The quirky Mint and even more quirky Ubuntu are immensely popular; to the extent that "Ubuntu" is used as a synonym for "Linux" in some literature, despite being out on a limb compared with almost all other distros. I can only think that their popularity is self-perpetuating, most people chosing a distro entirely on the say-so of a friend. This is especially so for people moving from Windows who probably do not understand the distro scene at all, but know someone who recommends Mint of Ubuntu, and maybe installs it for them.

One could draw a comparison with car enthusiast websites, which have a similar culture. I have a not-very-common car, such that I am pleasantly suprised when I see another on the road. The number of them in the UK (where I am) is known - I don't know exactly myself right now but probably around 10-20,000. That UK car owner's website is of very similar activity level to this SolydXK website, with a couple of dozen regulars among the occasional users with a single problem. So that is my very ball-park estimate of SolydXK users. Don't take it too seriously though.

ilu

Postby ilu » 11 Dec 2015 01:12

Ok, I concede I was partly wrong - there are exactly 635 registered accounts that never posted. Why that is I have no idea.
Anyway, I don't think you can deduct user numbers from forum registrations.

Ghstryder

Postby Ghstryder » 11 Dec 2015 02:26

Using another distro as an example, there were often 10-20 people viewing the forums, with only one or two registered users. I suspect that is the rule, not the exception. When a new version is released, the DW HPD will skyrocket, only to ebb as that group of people find something else shiny to play with.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”