Come on Mozilla

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
patzy

Come on Mozilla

Postby patzy » 31 Jan 2016 02:31

I've always preferred Firefox, but I use Chrome for access to Netflix.

Now Chrome has announced it is ditching 32bit. I have 2 perfectly, adequate for my needs, 32 bit computers, and it seems that Google is trying to force everyone into upgrading. :evil: :evil: :evil:

What really riles me is that Mozilla has proudly produced MS and Mac versions of Firefox with native Netflix access. Why can't the required codecs be available for Linux. I don't care about being pristine GNU or whatever. Handbrake and VLC have no such scruples. I've been checking and see that Mozilla has been making a few noises about this.

So, come on Mozilla lets get this sorted and soon!

Zill

Re: Come on Mozilla

Postby Zill » 31 Jan 2016 12:05

patzy wrote:Now Chrome has announced it is ditching 32bit. I have 2 perfectly, adequate for my needs, 32 bit computers, and it seems that Google is trying to force everyone into upgrading.
While it is true that 32-bit support is ending for Chrome, this is not the case for Chromium, for which 32-bit support is continuing indefinitely.

As Chromium is simply Chrome without the spyware, I don't think anyone is being "forced" to upgrade! Chromium works well on my 32-bit SolydX system. :-)

Having a rant on SolydXK forums about either Mozilla or Google is unlikely to achieve anything and so I suggest your fire should be turned directly on them. ;-)

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jan 2016 12:14

This is the open chat section, so he can rant all he likes ... but anyway he achieved something important: Thanks to you he now knows to have a look at chromium! Don't say ranting is useless .... :mrgreen:

patzy

Postby patzy » 31 Jan 2016 12:41

Zill wrote:As Chromium is simply Chrome without the spyware, I don't think anyone is being "forced" to upgrade! Chromium works well on my 32-bit SolydX system. :-)
According to all the stuff I've found on the subject, Chromium, like Mozilla for Linux, does not support Netflix....

I shall download it and see if it now does.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2016 12:50

patzy wrote:I shall download it and see if it now does.
Nah...I still have to use Chrome for Netflix.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 31 Jan 2016 13:01

Schoelje wrote:
patzy wrote:I shall download it and see if it now does.
Nah...I still have to use Chrome for Netflix.
Just tried it and this is what I got:

"Whoops, something went wrong...

Missing component

We cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://components, locate the WidevineCdm component, and click the "Check for update" button.
"

Any ideas on WidevineCdm component?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Jan 2016 13:26

Sorry, don't know about that. I'm watching "Close encounters of the third kind" right now in Chrome (not Chromium).

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 31 Jan 2016 13:48

Chrome does not get deinstalled the moment the support gets dropped or does it?
Just keep the old install for watching netflix and use FF for everything else.

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 Jan 2016 15:08

patzy wrote:Any ideas on WidevineCdm component?
The problem is that Netflix are a commercial company that want to sell their product (i.e. movies) not just give it away!. This means that they protect their system with DRM (proprietary, closed-source code) which obviously cannot be included with any free (open-source) software such as Chromium or Firefox.

Chrome, OTOH, does include such binary blobs, along with Google's own spyware, with the downside being that Chrome is therefore not free software as it includes proprietary and closed-source code.

If you choose to watch Netflix then, unfortunately, you enter the commercial world of DRM where you have to install the software they require. Free software cannot legally circumvent this!

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Jan 2016 21:54

Well...even when google stop the 32bit support your chrome it doesn't means it broke. You still can enjoy netflix on your chrome :3

patzy

Postby patzy » 01 Feb 2016 00:15

kurotsugi wrote:Well...even when google stop the 32bit support your chrome it doesn't means it broke. You still can enjoy netflix on your chrome :3
That's what I will be doing. BTW Mozilla did say they were looking into adding the nonfree codec, after all they already have a licence from Netflix for MS & Mac.
As you still have to login and pay before viewing Netflix, I don't see what the problem is.

Ah well....... :?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 01 Feb 2016 07:28

I don't know much about the details but AFAIK firefox simply use whatever codec used in the system. windows already got all the codecs needed to play netflix so I think firefox on windows simply use that codec. OTOH our debian only have ffmpeg and other free codecs which have limited capability to play DRM oriented stuffs. mozilla might try using some additional codec into firefox but the problem would be:
1. license.
1.a. it's expensive and the usability is limited (i.e: they couldn't freely distribute it).
1.b. firefox is open source project while the codec is propietary. mixing an opensource project with propietary stuff is diffictult.
2. open source community doesn't accept propietary stuff easily. they hate propietary stuff.
3. lot of works need to be done to make sure the codec works. they need time to do it.

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2016 11:12

patzy wrote:... BTW Mozilla did say they were looking into adding the nonfree codec, after all they already have a licence from Netflix for MS & Mac.
MS and Mac are quite happy to have closed-source DRM software and so Netflix can licence such systems knowing they will be protected.

The whole point of DRM is to restrict the user's ability to do anything other than view the product (movies in this case).

OTOH, free and open-source software (FOSS) is all about giving user's the freedom to do anything, including copying and distribution and this is why FOSS (e.g. Chromium and Firefox) is incompatible with DRM.
patzy wrote:... As you still have to login and pay before viewing Netflix, I don't see what the problem is.
As I tried to highlight above, Netflix are happy for a registered user to view a movie. DRM is necessary for Netflix to stop such a user copying/distributing their movies.

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2016 11:46

My wife and I can't really see the point of using a PC to watch a movie when we can relax in front of a nice large-screen TV in our lounge.

Our solution is simply to plug in a tiny "NOW TV" (basically a re-badged Roku) box we bought for £9.99 (around $15 US) and this gives us wi-fi access to all the latest movies and other services. No worries about DRM as all the setup and updating happens automatically. ;-)

patzy

Postby patzy » 02 Feb 2016 06:33

Zill wrote:My wife and I can't really see the point of using a PC to watch a movie when we can relax in front of a nice large-screen TV in our lounge.
Wish I could afford one. My TV screen is smaller than either of my computers.... the TV is too old to hitch up to a computer.. :(

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 05 Feb 2016 05:53

Code: Select all

harry@tramp:~
$ apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
  Installed: 38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1
  Candidate: 38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1
  Version table:
 *** 38.6.0esr-1~deb8u1 0
        500 http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     38.5.0esr-1~deb8u2 0
        500 http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main i386 Packages
     22.0~b1-1~bpo70+1 0
        500 http://antix.daveserver.info/jessie/ jessie/main i386 Packages
$ update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status
ERROR: must be root
More information might be available at:
  http://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer
$ su
Password: 
root@tramp:/home/harry# update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status
Flash Player version installed on this system  : 20.0.0.286
Flash Player version available on upstream site: 20.0.0.228

$ linuxinfo
Linux tramp 4.2.1-gnu-antix.1-486-smp #1 SMP Mon Sep 28 21:25:36 EEST 2015
Two Intel Unknown 2790MHz processors, 11163.98 total bogomips, 3285M RAM
System library 2.19.0

$ apt search pepperflashplugin-nonfree
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
pepperflashplugin-nonfree/stable,now 1.8.1 i386 [installed]
  Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin
$ cat /etc/debian_version
Shockwave Flash

File: libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
Path: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
Version: 20.0.0.286
State: Enabled
Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0

MIME Type Description Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl

32 bit iceweasel running flash player 20. If I can do it on AntiX Iceweasel. You should be able to do the same on SolydX Firefox.

Just saying.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 05 Feb 2016 05:59

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/fresh-pl ... flash.html

https://wiki.debian.org/Freshplayerplugin

You will need the pepperflashplugin-nonfree package installed also for this to work

$ apt search pepperflashplugin-nonfree
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
pepperflashplugin-nonfree/stable,now 1.8.1 i386 [installed]
  Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin
Happy Trailz, Rok

Edit: I run Chromium 32 bit the same way

patzy

Postby patzy » 06 Feb 2016 09:35

Rokytnji:

I did as you suggested and got the exactly the same results with apt etc as you had. And the wretched thing still gives me the same result, that is no go with netflix and firefox. (Yes the plugin is in the correct directory and is set to be always on.

The thing that really annoys me is that netflix will run in HTML5 without flash. It just needs a codec which Mozilla has already licensed from netflix. And silverlight and pepper etc are not required. :evil:

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 06 Feb 2016 12:11

Hmmm. Strange, I don't Netflix so I cannot check there. I won't opt for a free trial to check either.

I don't consider this a Mozilla glitch so much as a Netflix glitch.
I gave up Hulu Desktop because of deliberate dropped Linux support by Hulu.

But then. I have always voted with my wallet.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”