Spam Blocking Lists

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Nuke

Spam Blocking Lists

Postby Nuke » 17 Mar 2016 23:04

I am getting spam from a spamming company. I mean a company that provides spamming services (they call it "Automated Marketing") and the spam they send is advertising such services.

I sent them an email (from a disposable address) telling them to STFU (not that I expected that would stop them), and meanwhile put them on the mailing lists of a few other Websites that are also spamming me. But what I would really like to do is to get them onto spam blocking lists such as compiled by Spamhaus. However, despite visiting the websites of a few spam blocking companies, I could not find any route for proposing a spammer for their lists.

Am I missing something? How does one get spammers added to these lists?

Zill

Re: Spam Blocking Lists

Postby Zill » 18 Mar 2016 10:08

IMO, lists of known spammers have little value as new spammers appear all the time and simply distribute their rubbish through ever-changing botnets of compromised machines.

While I do believe that spammers are the scum of the earth and that hanging is too good for them, I regret to say that I think they will always be with us, just like death and taxes. ;-)

The best response, IMO, is for users to enable good spam filtering on their email client. See "Thunderbird and Junk / Spam Messages"

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 18 Mar 2016 18:27

the answer would be depends on what is your mail provider. google and yahoo did provide built-in spam filtering. simply select thoose messages and mark them as spam and the next message will automatically moved to spam folder. else, you can create an a filter (you can use the address or mail subject as filter) and automatically move them to spam/trash folder. you can also do that from your email client just as Zill suggested above.

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 16 Apr 2016 19:59

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've been away for a while, but I do know how to filter out spam. I was more curious how spammers get put on the spamming lists such as Spamhous maintain.

Zill wrote :-
IMO, lists of known spammers have little value as new spammers appear all the time and simply distribute their rubbish through ever-changing botnets of compromised machines

That is true of spamming professionals who act as agents. However there are also many companies who send out their own spam to a large list of addresses such as those who have ever done business with them. I bought a minor car accessory from a parts company six months ago and they have sent me about two spams per day ever since, and also presumably to all the other customers they have ever had. I do not believe they would be so clever as to manage botnets or employ a spamming agency for example; they are simply sending in the clear to a big address list.

Zill

Postby Zill » 16 Apr 2016 20:24

Nuke wrote:... However there are also many companies who send out their own spam to a large list of addresses such as those who have ever done business with them. I bought a minor car accessory from a parts company six months ago and they have sent me about two spams per day ever since, and also presumably to all the other customers they have ever had.
A legitimate company that you have actually done business with should always offer an "unsubscribe" option at the bottom of their promotional emails. If the company are reputable then they should honour a request to unsubscribe and remove your name from their mailing list. Nevertheless, this shouldn't stop you adding them to your email client's junk list... ;-)

ilu

Postby ilu » 17 Apr 2016 14:35

If you know the company and you can't find an unsubscribe option call them and tell them to stop. They probably don't really want to annoy there customers and they might not even know they are doing it. You could always threaten to take legal measures. Here it's forbidden to send unsollicited promotional email and I think thats an EU regulation and thus it should apply to you too.

Regarding your other question: I think senders get on the spamming list by traffic analysis done by email providers. They see everything that comes in and routinely analyse it. Your parts company doesn't belong on those lists anyway because they sent mail to a customer which is not considered being "that" kind of of spam. You can't tell whether the mail is legitimate or not just by content analysis.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”