StartPage search engine

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

StartPage search engine

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Apr 2016 16:55

Does anybody have any experience with the StartPage search engine?

Is it better/worse/different than DuckDuckGo (our default search engine)?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

palimmo

Re: StartPage search engine

Postby palimmo » 30 Apr 2016 17:07

Since long time it is my default search engine.
Number and quality of results are definitely better than Duckduckgo, since it retrieves data from google but guaranteeing privacy protection.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Apr 2016 18:58

Never use anything else, so I can't really compare... :?

Started with ixquick.com (same company), switched to startpage.com ages ago. Never looked back.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Apr 2016 19:21

something to use as default?

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 30 Apr 2016 19:43

As far as I'm concerned, yes.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 May 2016 07:57

firefox-esr-solydxk-adjustments and firefox-solydxk-adjustments were adapted to use startpage as the default search engine.

SolydXK needs you!

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 01 May 2016 08:08

:clap:
Have you left Duckduckgo among the "optional" search engines?
Even if I prefer Searchpage, Duckduckgo (together with OpenStreetMap) deserves respect :)
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 May 2016 08:25

palimmo wrote::clap:
Have you left Duckduckgo among the "optional" search engines?
Even if I prefer Searchpage, Duckduckgo (together with OpenStreetMap) deserves respect :)
DuckDuckGo is still in there. :D

SolydXK needs you!

docke

Postby docke » 01 May 2016 08:51

It is not my intention to stir the nest.
But at this time to trust your privacy to any occidental search engine or cloud is beyond naive.
And if all States are keeping tabs of the inhabitants internet habits, it is far more advisable to use a search engine (when is possible) from those that cannot tag you, or put their hands on you, neither profile you as a dissident (or radical as they use to call it). :lol:

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 May 2016 23:23

My favourite search engine since a long time ago, thank you for changing this. Since startpage is dutch-based I always wondered why it wasn't default. I proposed using it in Aug 2014 but you ignored me :( I have to admit that it was in a rather lengthy post that covered about anything :ugeek: https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.ph ... =80#p42054

@Docke: I'm not really sure I understand your intention. Not using any search engine is probably better for your privacy but not using the internet at all would even be better. Whether the search engine is occidental or oriental does not really make a difference. You can't stop governments sniffing your internet traffic anyway. But you can stop (this special kind of) google espionage by using startpage and that's at least something. Google is still watching you by other means of course - for example through this forum using fonts.googleapis.com (hinthint @schoelje)

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 04 May 2016 22:19

Sorry I am also a bit late to the discussion. I too have used StartPage from time to time and certainly found it better than DuckDuckGo. However I have a slight issue with the idea of using StartPage to get Google results. It strikes me as a little dishonest - if one wants really Google results then surely it is more honourable to use Google rather than "hiding" behind StartPage ( although StartPage do claim to have some sort of arrangement with google to allow them use the results why-does-google-let-startpage-access-their-search-results )

Yes I too have all the usual issues about privacy and Google but just my 2c worth .
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 May 2016 08:54

Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to respect their user's right of privacy the way their user's expect it. My hope is that when more people use alternatives like startpage.com Google will find that not only their service is of great importance to all internet users but that they stop treating the user's privacy as a commodity and remove it from their business model because it simply doesn't pay off. I know that's easier said than done. The EU regulators are in conflict with Google about "the right to be forgotten" and there is a danger of making it almost impossible to present any good search results if each and every country can enforce their own laws on Google but while the politicians are debating I would like to offer my users the best next thing. Don't forget that both DuckDuckGo and Google can be easily selected and made default in Firefox if you wish to do so.

SolydXK needs you!

patzy

Postby patzy » 08 May 2016 07:46

Startpage is the first thing I add to my browsers.

It works well in Chrome, too! :lol:

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”