Show your 'Toys" :)

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
GeneC

Show your 'Toys" :)

Postby GeneC » 21 May 2013 21:12

Schoelje
Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm

That's one good looking Harley!
Every time my children start a sentence with "I want..", I respond with "I want an Harley." After which they now repeat the question differently: "Can I..., please".
Even a non-existing Harley is good for our children's education!

Built is yourself?
That's a story for the "Open Chat section". I've done it too, but didn't have the money for a Harley: a 1975 Honda CB500F. I took it apart until the last bolt, replaced what was broken, and put it together again to drive to Spain with everything I owned (and that wasn't much). So, let's hear it!
I got my scanner running and took a scan of a pic of my old "Scooter". Schoelje took interest, so.......

I have been a bike nut all my life. Riding some 30+ years, and have owned about 10-12 bikes over the years. Hondas, Kawasaskis, BWM, Ducati. Sports bikes, cruisers, dirt bikes. But old Harley's have always been my passion.

I got this one back in the late 80's. Its a Harley Davidson FXE 1975 - 74 c.i. I did not look anything like this when I got it.
[rimg]http://imageshack.us/a/img844/8682/hogd.png[/rimg]

It was beat up, had a sportster type single tank, was a metallic maroon... :o . almost no chrome, dumpy old seat.
Every winter I would take it into a spare bedroom take it right down to the frame and get to work. New parts, new paint, LOTS of new chrome (there was a chrome plating shop in my town). Dual 'Fat-Bob" tanks, and old style gauges. Drag Bars and med risers. Solo seat and pad. 'S&S Carb. I got to know most every part of that bike inside out. Rebuilt the engine. I sold it a couple years back, and got a 'little' Kawasaki Vulcan 800 to scoot around on, but I really miss the Harley... :lol: I just sold the Kawi, having developed Meniere's Syndrome in my old age (causes dizziness, vertigo, ringing in ears). I had to give up bikes, but Jeeping is now a passion. (LOTS of dirt logging roads to explore here in Maine. Actually more dirt roads than tar.... ;)

My Old Jeep TJ
[rimg]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2761/toplessp.jpg[/rimg]

What are some of your passions?
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

xbirdy

Re: Show your 'Toys" :)

Postby xbirdy » 25 May 2013 16:35

This thread is such a good idea!

Here is my new one. It is not a gadget nor a real toy. This kind of electric bicycle allows long distance driving without tireness.
For me it is a good and ecologic alternative because i don't want to buy or manage a real motor car or cycle.

http://www.veloscoot.com/images/product ... ap2-hd.jpg

youtube.com/watch?v=rB7srnn5WL8

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 25 May 2013 17:09

xbirdy

With the price of gasoline.. :shock:
That might be a good idea... ;)
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 26 May 2013 07:20

Nice toys, guys!! 8-)
GeneC wrote:xbirdy

With the price of gasoline.. :shock:
That might be a good idea... ;)
Yes espacially for us in europe with our gasoline taxes :shock: ...and our compact cities, more easier to use than in some cities large as a county ;)
Ane
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 May 2013 09:45

I do not own much, and never cared (I'm a bit strange at that), but sometimes I like things for what it can produce, and I love music. Especially Irish folk.

A few years ago, I finally had enough money to buy me a full set. I'm talking about the Uilleann pipes, the Irish bagpipe. A friend of mine, Mark van Daal, who lives close by, is one of the best Uilleann builders in Europe, and it took him 2 years to build my pipes, because I wanted something special.

Usually the Uilleann pipes are pitched in the key of D, what is called "concert pitch", because they make a lot of noise. So, you can play together with other instruments, like the violin, piano, harp, etc. I wanted the original pitch in the key of B, which sound a lot quieter. You can normally talk while I play the pipes in the same room. A solo instrument, because you even wouldn't here it when other instruments play. I also wanted all metal to be silver plated, and together with the African black wood, that makes a beautiful contrast.

Unfortunately I don't have a pritty picture of my pipes, but this one comes from Mark's site:

and this is how it sounds like:
Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.
Liam O'Flynn is a band member of Planxty, which made Irish folk known in the whole continent in the '60 and '70.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 May 2013 11:25

Schoelje

Quite a coincidence about the bagpipe reference. Just recently there was a short documentary on local TV about a local Maine Bagpipe maker..

Maine Bapipe Maker

Did someone snap this pic of Schoelje last Christmas.. :?: .. :lol:
[rimg]http://0.tqn.com/d/dc/1/0/u/1/1/Bagpipe.jpg[/rimg]
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 26 May 2013 11:29

ane champenois wrote:Nice toys, guys!! 8-)
....Yes especially for us in Europe with our gasoline taxes :shock: ...and our compact cities, more easier to use than in some cities large as a county ;)
Ane
Ane

Just for my edification.. :) What are gasoline prices in France? Here in Maine USA its a tad high for the US, but $3.65 per US gallon, but I guess low compared to most of Europe.
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 May 2013 11:31

I wish it was me! Santa is playing the Highland pipes (yes, from Scotland, not Ireland). I played them as well, but my neighbors weren't too happy: about 110 decibels come from those pipes...pain! The pipe builder is playing the smallpipes, from Scotland as well). Beautiful sound, but not well known.

SolydXK needs you!

eselma

Postby eselma » 02 Jun 2013 17:21

Interesting...

Here in Catalonia we have the "sac de gemecs" (literally 'sack of moans') a kind of bagpipe used now only for some folk music.
Here is a short description and sample in English:

Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.

And yes, the Celts were strolling here also, but not in southern Spain.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jun 2013 17:39

Nice!
And the sound is very different from the gaita Gallega, even though there is not so much distance between them.

SolydXK needs you!

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 02 Jun 2013 20:06

GeneC wrote:Ane
Just for my edification.. :) What are gasoline prices in France? Here in Maine USA its a tad high for the US, but $3.65 per US gallon, but I guess low compared to most of Europe.
Gene,
Sorry I forget to answer to you :oops: Today lower price in my area is about $6.36 per US gallon (after some conversions...) :twisted: So you understand why we have so small cars :lol:
Ane

drc

Postby drc » 02 Jun 2013 20:25

ane champenois wrote:So you understand why we have so small cars
And I always thought it was just because your streets were just so narrow and twisty.

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 03 Jun 2013 08:57

drc wrote:
And I always thought it was just because your streets were just so narrow and twisty.
Not only. and we have large ways in the suburbs too (not so large as US's but large too)

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 03 Jun 2013 11:03

ane champenois wrote:........ Today lower price in my area is about $6.36 per US gallon (after some conversions...) :twisted: So you understand why we have so small cars :lol:
Ane
Ane
:shock: OUCH! I just traded in my V8 4x4 truck for a 4cyl. 4x4 Tacoma because I thought I was paying a lot. Sorry to hear your prices are so high..

GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 03 Jun 2013 19:37

drc wrote:
sometimes they are :P
snapshot91.png
a view from the old part of my hometown
(it's very funny to drive there :lol: )
bliss of ignorance

drc

Postby drc » 03 Jun 2013 19:39

zerozero wrote:(it's very funny to drive there :lol: )
Wait a sec...thought I heard "Bring out your dead"...nope, must be my imagination :)

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 03 Jun 2013 20:40

zerozero wrote:
drc wrote:
sometimes they are :P
snapshot91.png
a view from the old part of my hometown
(it's very funny to drive there :lol: )
In my town too: hard for a car here, especially US cars :lol:

GeneC

Postby GeneC » 03 Jun 2013 21:00

Just a little more room in my " neck of the woods."

[rimg]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8757/jeepl.jpg[/rimg]
GeneC

Debian (Testing)
Siduction (Debian SID)

wobbly

Postby wobbly » 09 Jun 2013 19:04

GeneC wrote:
ane champenois wrote:Nice toys, guys!! 8-)
....Yes especially for us in Europe with our gasoline taxes :shock: ...and our compact cities, more easier to use than in some cities large as a county ;)
Ane
Ane

Currently about $7.60 in the UK after conversion. It's gone down a bit recently!

Cheers (more likely tears)
Not to be confused with a geek, guru, or anybody that knows what they are doing...

nomko

Postby nomko » 26 Jun 2013 19:04

Since 2 weeks the proud owner of the latest Huawei smartphone: Huawei Ascend P2.
Attachments
base_Huawei-Ascend-P2-Black_1.jpg
base_Huawei-Ascend-P2-Black_1.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 5061 times
My notebook:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”