Adobe to update Linux Flash Player

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
palimmo

Adobe to update Linux Flash Player

Postby palimmo » 18 Sep 2016 17:17

Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

ilu

Re: Adobe to update Linux Flash Player

Postby ilu » 18 Sep 2016 20:06

Since flash is not necessary anymore for the bigger part of the internet this looks like a desparate measure to me.

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 18 Sep 2016 21:28

ilu wrote:Since flash is not necessary anymore for the bigger part of the internet this looks like a desparate measure to me.

Agreed, and as buggy as flash has always been, I'm not convinced this is good news.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 19 Sep 2016 03:51

regardless the case, dead or not, this is still a good news for us. even chrome is still using flash.

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 19 Sep 2016 19:56

kurotsugi wrote:regardless the case, dead or not, this is still a good news for us. even chrome is still using flash.

It's good news if they really maintain it, and strive for real improvement. I guess we will have to wait and see.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 20 Sep 2016 07:39

it's a propietary software so their willingness to give the updates itself is already a good news. though, that's perhaps only my opinion (yes, perhaps it's a bad side of view :lol:), and I'm fully agree that they must show responsibility by doing regular maintainance on it.

they said that the new plugin will got most of the feature on chrome's flash and will updated as frequent as chrome's flash. considering they never update flash for years, even if it's not good news, it's still a better news.

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 12 Nov 2016 03:09

This is great news. Not only do the advanced functions of MLB.TV not work without Flash, Comcast has recently updated their website and many of the Xfinity listings, DVR management, etc., now require an up-to-date Flash. It'll be nice to not have to use the Android apps to do simple things like checking my listings or doing bulk deletions of shows on my DVR.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Independent author and photographer
My writing site: Words from an Author

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

patzy

Postby patzy » 12 Nov 2016 10:08

Most of our tv catchup services require Adobe flash.

I've had a look at the download site and there is no deb.
What would be the best way to get it onto Solyd firefox?

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Nov 2016 11:15

check whethet if you have solydxk flash package. if you have it, then you are already using newest flash. solydxk team did all the dirty job for you :3

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 12 Nov 2016 12:27

Code: Select all

apt install solydxk-flashplugin-11

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 12 Nov 2016 13:11

There appears to be some confusion in this thread. The original posting - and maybe also BostonPeng's and patzy's - was about the newer flash version (23/24). This is currently still in beta. Installing it would be a matter of downloading the tarball, extracting the libflashplayer.so file and placing it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (unless you have other flash versions installed - you may need to uninstall those first).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Nov 2016 14:31

23 is marked as stable. are there any reason to not use it?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 12 Nov 2016 16:40

The PPAPI version is, yes. The NPAPI one for Linux is still beta, as far as I know. Where did you read that one was stable as well?
Frank

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 12 Nov 2016 16:56

grizzler wrote:There appears to be some confusion in this thread. The original posting - and maybe also BostonPeng's and patzy's - was about the newer flash version (23/24). This is currently still in beta. Installing it would be a matter of downloading the tarball, extracting the libflashplayer.so file and placing it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (unless you have other flash versions installed - you may need to uninstall those first).

Thanks for the clarification, grizzler. I saw an updated plugin installed the other day so I fired up Firefox to check to see if Xfinity worked now, but it says I need at least version 15.0.0.152 so I'll have to keep using my phone to use the Xfinity listings. It's unfortunate because I only get a half hour at a time on my phone, a real annoyance if I'm checking for things I want my DVR to record.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Nov 2016 19:53

I was curious so I went to the adobe site and see it available for linux user (among with v11 and other stuff. 23 was listed on top). there's no sign that it was a beta version so I thought they already release it. I also visited the link you give to us and 23 was nowhere to found. does that mean 23 is stable?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 12 Nov 2016 21:58

If so, then where is it?

This page only has the 11 series NPAPI. The other page only the 24 series NPAPI beta. I think the NPAPI betas went from 23 to 24 without a stable release, but if someone can point me to a page where a stable 23 NPAPI can be found...
Frank

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Nov 2016 22:13

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/other ... 4698788714

if you select linux 64bit you can choose 23. I don't know whether if it stable but it is there.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 13 Nov 2016 06:00

Remember that the 23 series (PPAPI) were built for Chrome (and probably chromium based browsers). If you're using Firefox (the default browser on SolydXK) you are limited to the 11 series (NPAPI) which only gets security updates as long as Adobe is willing to provide those updates. This is the reason (limited security) why we decided not to include Flash in our ISOs anymore.

If Adobe is thinking about updating the NPAPI plugin for Linux other then Chrome, that would go against their own roadmap (see below). I don't know if that is a wise decision from a user's point of view. However, perhaps they decided otherwise to please some clients.

This is a quote from the Adobe roadmap for the Flash runtimes which doesn't mention any plans for the NPAPI plugin:
Linux

Adobe has been working closely with Google to develop a single, modern API for hosting plug-ins within the browser. The PPAPI, code-named "Pepper", aims to provide a layer between the plug-in and browser that abstracts away differences between browser and operating system implementations. You can find more information on the Pepper API at http://code.google.com/p/ppapi/.

Because of this work, Adobe has been able to partner with Google in providing a "Pepper" implementation of Flash Player for all x86/64 platforms supported by the Google Chrome browser. Google now distributes this new Pepper-based Flash Player as part of Chrome on all platforms, including Linux.

For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plug-in for Linux will only be available via the "Pepper" API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe. Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.

Flash Player will continue to support browsers using non-"Pepper" plug-in APIs on platforms other than Linux.

Adobe will not be providing a Pepper-based debug player implementation of the Flash Player browser plug-in on Linux.

As of Adobe AIR 3, Adobe has discontinued support for Adobe AIR for Linux operating systems.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 13 Nov 2016 06:18

For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plug-in for Linux will only be available via the "Pepper" API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe

if I understand it correctly, the one in the link I gave above is specifically for NPAPI. PPAPI only bundled with google chrome and can't be downloaded separately.
Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release.

this statement _was_ correct. but adobe have changed their mind. they now build new flash for both NPAPI and PPAPI. grizzler said the one for linux is still on beta stage and not available for public while I saw that the new v23 already released for public.

my laptop is broken so I can't test it yet, but if I understand it correctly, the new v23 for linux is a NPAPI and could be used on firefox as well as other browsers.

BostonPeng

Postby BostonPeng » 13 Nov 2016 06:27

kurotsugi wrote:
For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plug-in for Linux will only be available via the "Pepper" API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe

if I understand it correctly, the one in the link I gave above is specifically for NPAPI. PPAPI only bundled with google chrome and can't be downloaded separately.

I was able to download the new PPAPI version from the Flash download page, but I wasn't able to find a newer NPAPI version yet.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin

System:
ASUS X555LA notebook

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”