what is the best way to get LXQt in SolydK

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

what is the best way to get LXQt in SolydK

Postby Fargo » 10 Dec 2016 02:39

So I started with SolydK, but I was having some issues with my KDE desktop crashing. So I installed XFCE. That has proven to be much more stable. But I can't help but to wonder what LXQt would be like as a working machine. So what is the best way to install LXQt. Yeah, I know its not really ready, but I want to give it a try. After all I have done to my machine lately I'll likely have to reinstall in the near future anyway. So with that said, whats the best way to get LXqt?

If I understand correctly, I thought the Debian Testing repos had Lxqt 0.11 in the repos. Could someone with the EE edition please check that out for me? I wonder if I need to update to the EE edition and go from there. Let me know your thoughts.

kurotsugi

Re: what is the best way to get LXQt in SolydK

Postby kurotsugi » 10 Dec 2016 09:27

I've heard the news but haven't tried it yet. if you're on EE you can install lxqt by yourself. however, just like xfce, it will comes preconfigured so it won't really represent lxqt. things might looks ugly without a proper configuration. solydx looks good mainly because the team have configure it nicely.

i think the best way to enjoy lxqt is by using a distro with lxqt.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 11 Dec 2016 23:13

kurotsugi wrote:I

i think the best way to enjoy lxqt is by using a distro with lxqt.

Yeah I agree. But at this point I am just trying to get a general feel for it. I find I don't really know a system unless I am actually using it. I'm not currently running EE , but I am thinking about it. How stable is testing right now. Is it reliable? Is there a link somewhere for updating to the EE edition?

Zill

Postby Zill » 12 Dec 2016 00:10

Fargo wrote:So I started with SolydK, but I was having some issues with my KDE desktop crashing.

Fargo wrote:How stable is testing right now. Is it reliable?

IMHO, if you were not happy with the reliability of the stable edition of SolydK then I guess you would be even more disappointed by the frequent breakage associated with the testing (EE) edition.

You also asked "I can't help but to wonder what LXQt would be like as a working machine." As LXQt is still under heavy development, I doubt that this is really suitable for a production machine. However, if you just want to try out LXQt on a non-production test machine then I guess you could use SolydK (EE) as a base - as long as you would accept the downtime!

p.s. I do agree that a distro with a native LXQt DE would be the best option.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 12 Dec 2016 01:01

Thank you Zill. Excellant advice. You are correct. I need to stick with Stable for my production machine. I might play with EE on my laptop which is more for play. Or just look at some live cds to see whats out there. Thanks for the advice.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Dec 2016 01:08

you'll be fine if you're using X but I don't know about K. we are currently in soft freeze period so things are mostly good.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”