Distrowatch

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Zill

Re: Distrowatch

Postby Zill » 01 Mar 2017 12:49

Fargo: You have come up with a thoughtful response to my motoring analogy and I cannot disagree with your summary that a "repair network is as important as the car itself." :-)

However, I still believe that a "churn" of new users (fuelled by DistroWatch), drifting in and out of SolydXK after just staying for a week or two, add little technical or financial support to the distro.

Any user seriously interested in using a good distro will, as I suggested earlier, find SolydXK and they can confirm that we already have a great support network by simply taking a look at SolydXK forums. Unlike some other Linux distros, we happily support users of all abilities, from total Linux newbies to grizzled grey beards.

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Mar 2017 13:14

The original conflict was not about doing this or not but about dissing people for not doing it. That's what I did not like.

Apart from that issue - ss you said yourself, it's a questionable tactic. I'd really like to see distrowatch getting rid of that hit list. But it's probably their way to keep their own sites hitrates up :-(.

I recommend SolydX wherever I go and quite some installations were the results. Almost all of those people came from MSWin and had no idea distrowatch even existed. The rest were experienced Linux users and they'd never go to Distrowatch but just ask their friends for recommendations. I try to make SolydX the standard in our computer club and I managed to get it on par with Mint :-) . We'll try SolydPi next, because we want to switch our Internet machines to Raspberries, so I hope that will go well.

When I visit distrowatch I always search for something very specific because they have good filters - last time I was looking for a system content with less than 256 MB RAM - naturally SolydX did not even show up. I think most people go there for the same reason, they have specific ideas what they are looking for.

I think you (@schoelje) should invest into finetuning the description. Since there was mention of the repair network: You can specify suppport languages. If I choose "multilingual = yes" Solyd does not show up. Why? We do every european language here. French support - no Solyd, although grizzler always takes care of that. Spanish, Italian, Portuguese - I work especially on providing that support on the forum but it's not listed on Distrowatch. Just by adding spanish legitimate hit numbers will go up. No listing for german, are you kidding? At least it's listed for dutch and japanese :-).
Also it does not show up under "Old Computers" where SolydX excels (as long as you are not under 256 MB RAM :-) ), and the community edition is missing under i386. Lot's of room for improvement without producing artificial hits.

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 01 Mar 2017 13:18

Schoelje wrote:So, I've created a script to do that boring work for me and additionally show the popularity output in my conky 8-) :

Care to share the script and/or the conky?
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 01 Mar 2017 14:06

srq2625 wrote:
Schoelje wrote:So, I've created a script to do that boring work for me and additionally show the popularity output in my conky 8-) :

Care to share the script and/or the conky?

Save as distrowatch.py and read the comments in the script for the rest:

Code: Select all

#! /usr/bin/env python3

# Distrowatch visit and popularity retreaval script for the lazy bum
# Copy to /etc/cron.daily and make executable
# Writes popularity index to /var/log/distrowatch.log
# If you use Conky you can add something like this in ~/.conkyrc:
# Distrowatch: ${pre_exec cat /var/log/distrowatch.log}

from urllib.request import Request, urlopen
from random import choice
import re

URL = 'http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solydxk'
OUTPUT = '/var/log/distrowatch.log'

# Firefox: Tools > Addon: Live HTTP Headers > URL
# Chrome: More Tools > Developer tools > Network > URL > Filter: table.php > Headers
user_agents = [
    'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0',
    'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Safari/537.36',
    'Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0'
]

# Create a request object with given URL
req = Request(URL)
# Get a random user agent and add that to the request object
ua = choice(user_agents)
req.add_header('User-Agent', ua)
# Get the output of the URL
output = urlopen(req, timeout=5)
# Decode to text
text = output.read().decode('utf-8')
# Search for pattern
matchObj = re.search('popularity:.*">([0-9a-z\(\) ]+)',
                     text, flags=re.IGNORECASE)
if matchObj:
    print((matchObj.group(1)))
    # Safe found pattern to file
    with open(OUTPUT, 'w') as f:
        f.write(matchObj.group(1))

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 01 Mar 2017 14:08

@ilu
I didn't know I had any influence on what's written in Distrowatch, but I'll have a look when I find some time.

SolydXK needs you!

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Mar 2017 20:06

As I think about this, good reviews in other places go a long long ways as well. Reviews can take people to distrowatch, but good reviews are always good reviews. I wonder if we could put a section on the home page that shows a list of reviews of SolydXk. Its a common marketing tactic. I understand the lack of desire to have people coming and going all the time. I'm sure high distrowatch rankings can lead to that. But it is nice to have some coming anyway.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 01 Mar 2017 20:18

Fargo wrote:As I think about this, good reviews in other places go a long long ways as well. Reviews can take people to distrowatch, but good reviews are always good reviews. I wonder if we could put a section on the home page that shows a list of reviews of SolydXk. Its a common marketing tactic. I understand the lack of desire to have people coming and going all the time. I'm sure high distrowatch rankings can lead to that. But it is nice to have some coming anyway.

I had that when I first started. However, the last good review is more than a year old and old reviews, although good ones, are not a good representation of the current state of SolydXK.

SolydXK needs you!

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Mar 2017 20:27

Schoelje wrote:
Fargo wrote:As I think about this, good reviews in other places go a long long ways as well. Reviews can take people to distrowatch, but good reviews are always good reviews. I wonder if we could put a section on the home page that shows a list of reviews of SolydXk. Its a common marketing tactic. I understand the lack of desire to have people coming and going all the time. I'm sure high distrowatch rankings can lead to that. But it is nice to have some coming anyway.

I had that when I first started. However, the last good review is more than a year old and old reviews, although good ones, are not a good representation of the current state of SolydXK.

Good point. If the reviews listed are too old, it could look like your just trying to hang on to the glory days.

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Mar 2017 23:45

I was too naive, I thought you registered the distro with specifics ... it seems that you need to send them an email. They probably got the dutch and japanese support from the ISOs (which is kind of stupid because every debian is by definition multilingual). Anyway, we have also italian and portuguese ISOs atm, so maybe now is a good point in time to get them to add those languages.

Or maybe link them to the live installer on transifex. We have

Dutch 100% 0 strings to translate
French 100% 0 strings to translate
German 100% 0 strings to translate
Italian 100% 0 strings to translate
Japanese 100% 0 strings to translate
Lithuanian 100% 0 strings to translate
Malay 100% 0 strings to translate
Portuguese 100% 0 strings to translate
Portuguese (Brazil) 100% 0 strings to translate
Russian 100% 0 strings to translate
Serbian 100% 0 strings to translate
Catalan 98% 2 strings to translate
Norwegian Bokmål 93% 12 strings to translate
Swedish 93% 13 strings to translate
Croatian 89% 19 strings to translate
Polish 89% 19 strings to translate
Turkish 85% 28 strings to translate
Spanish 83% 31 strings to translate - now 100% but needs review!

Anybody here who can bring those below 90% up? Have a look: ww.transifex.com/solydxk/live-installer-3/

English (United Kingdom) 30%

That's a joke right? :-) - Edit: Nevermind, I did that one, but it was a tedious work.
I did spanish too but a native speaker really should review that.

Well, sorry for this transgression into translation territory but it would make a great selling point if distrowatch could be convinced to list those languages.

eselma

Postby eselma » 02 Mar 2017 19:53

Sorry for the off-topic, but this last post showed me that I had 2 (in fact it were 3) strings to translate in Catalan. This is funny, because I did not received the usual automated mail from Transifex. Anyway, now they are already translated.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 13 Mar 2017 10:03

New Distrowatch Review - SolydXK 201701 - Satisfactory and solid
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 13#solydxk

Final thoughts

SolydXK works great for an operating system. If you need something stable and your hardware is not on the newer side, SolydXK may be for you. This Debian spin is solid, simple, and has advanced features that make it easier to use than Debian. I would use this over Debian, but there are other distros I would definitely use before SolydXK. But some people are looking for a Debian spin that works a little bit easier than Debian out of the box.

SolydXK did not work well with my hardware (touchpad and NVIDIA GPU). This was a big disappointment. The KDE version is old, and this was a disappointment too. I was hoping to see KDE Plasma 5, but I did not. I think that SolydXK is keeping KDE back for a reason, and that is to maintain some simplicity.

SolydXK bills itself as having the following characteristics: "Focuses on stability, security and ease of use and will help new users make the transition from Windows to Linux easier." I would say this is true. It is stable and secure! Debian is well known to be both secure and stable. KDE 4 is easy to use and easy to transition to. So coming from Windows would be pretty easy. There are also a lot of neat tools that users can utilize in making this solid distro work better for their machines. SolydXK is still solid, yet sadly only satisfactory.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

eselma

Postby eselma » 13 Mar 2017 12:44

Yes, have a look at https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20170313#solydxk and down to the comment #18. I had to say something about this review.

Hope it does not hurt anybody.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 13 Mar 2017 14:43

eselma wrote:Yes, have a look at https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20170313#solydxk and down to the comment #18. I had to say something about this review.

Hope it does not hurt anybody.

Not at all!
I've added my thoughts as well.
Thanks!

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Mar 2017 15:20

I did so too but I always get distracted while writing so everybody always beats me to it ...

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 13 Mar 2017 17:28

I don't think the reviewer was fair in complaining a Debian Stable based distro used older software. Its kind of the nature of the beast and not the right choice is you want to run on bleeding edge. The reviewer should have known this. But on the other hand,as the old saying goes, any publicity is good publicity.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”