SolydBudgie

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

SolydBudgie

Postby Fargo » 28 Feb 2017 19:37

Anyone give Budgie a try yet? Some weeks back I did a clean install of SolydX EE on some test hardware. Curious about how a Budgie edition would would look I installed the full package from the repos. To my surprise it actually installed very nicely on top of X and looks great. I'm not ready to give up SolydK yet, but I do see promise in Budgie. It will be particularily interesting over the next year as they transition Budgie to Qt. Who knows, maybe in the future a SolydB community edition will be born.

MCh

Re: SolydBudgie

Postby MCh » 02 Mar 2017 01:44

Fargo wrote:Anyone give Budgie a try yet?

Hi Fargo. Budgie...not yet. It's still too "young", but I have seen on DW a few other distos have picked it up. Who knows, maybe in time it will surpass Cinnamon and MATE. Those two caught-on real quick a few years back.

Me...my distro-hopping days are long behind me. I'm content with Xfce. ;)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Mar 2017 02:12

budgie is based on gnome so it's basicly a recipe for disaster. most of us here want a stable system so I'm not sure if anyone would make a spin of solyd of it. though, yes, it would be interesting to see a solydb. schoelje have declared that there won't be more official version (there are only solydK and solydX) but I think he (and most of us here) will glad to see an unofficial solydb along with another our unofficial spins :3

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 02 Mar 2017 02:30

Yeah it is very young. It was looking really good though. At least visually. I have to admit that I kind of like the clean interface some of the gnome 3 apps have as well. But I've read to many horror stories about gnome breaking to want to go there.

What makes Budgie even more interesting is that now they are basically rewriting everything as they try to decouple it from Gnome and base it on Qt. Of course it makes it that much younger again as they will surely have to learn how to do things in a new way. Its going to be very interesting to see how they can target gnome applications but write the desktop with Qt.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”