SolydNeon

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
Fargo

SolydNeon

Postby Fargo » 04 Apr 2017 03:52

OK. I know SolydXK is built on Debian and not changing. I have just been looking at KDE Neon recently and dreaming about what the ideal Neon based distro sould look like to me. In short I came down to SolydK based on Neon LTS.

Right now the best Neon based options would be Neon LTS or Maui. Neon LTS, according to KDE is not really a distro, but just a collection of the latest KDE software. Ahh OK, it looks like a distro. So what does that mean. It seems to run very well, but it is very limited on preinstalled programs, which does have some appeal. I also really like the idea of Plasma staying stable and yet gettingupdated bugfixes. As far as the other qt/kde packages getting updates, I am pretty indifferent.

Maui takes a different approach. Maui is more like Kubuntu. Its a fully loaded fixed release. With more programs than I need included and some I need that are not included. Since its based on Neon, Maui releases more often and has newer KDE software than Kubuntu. Even though the base might be the old Ubuntu LTS. But like kubuntu,once its released its a 'stable' release with no updates. Only security fixes from Ubuntu.

To me neither of these options is what I am really looking for. What I want are the basic program set found in SolydXK. I find I only need to add Digikam, Kmymoney and Virtualbox and SolydK is ready to go. But what I like about Neon LTS is the idea that Plasma will get regular security updates and bug fixes. Without updateing the entire Plasma desktop. The updated programs could also be very valuable if the updates fix bugs. So basically my dream Neon distro would be SolydK built on top of Neon LTS.

kurotsugi

Re: SolydNeon

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Apr 2017 05:09

But what I like about Neon LTS is the idea that Plasma will get regular security updates and bug fixes. Without updateing the entire Plasma desktop. The updated programs could also be very valuable if the updates fix bugs. So basically my dream Neon distro would be SolydK built on top of Neon LTS.

I think we already did it. they might looks different but that's a rather cosmetic side. solydk is using different theme, different icon, and different desktop arrangement. though, the underlying engine is same. solydk and neon is using plasma LTS. if I understand it correctly, the main differences between neon and solydk is the pre-installed packages and the themes (or more specifically, the theme and the desktop arrangement). neon's wallpaper and desktop arrangement indeed looks good but perhaps what you looking for was different pre-installed packages?

do you want to add some packages to solydk pre-installed list?
or...do you have suggestion about how solydk should looks like?

I don't know about the theme and the icons but I think we might could do something about the desktop arrangement.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 04 Apr 2017 13:31

No SolydK looks great. I appreciate the business approach that Scheolje takes. I think SolydK is very professional. I also think SolydK has the right package selection. Although the inclusion of Virtualbox might be a good idea for business users. There is still a lot of proprietary stuff thats needed. I've considered RoboLinux in the past so I can check out his Stealth VM. But thats another topic.

I guess what I am really after is just an earlier release. I like the look of SolydK and I like the packages. But I guess I am just getting impatient with getting newer stuff. So Neon has its appeal. I can get the Plasma 5.8 right now. I don't expect Debian will be released until June or July and then it could be another month or 2 until SolydK is released. I have considered giving SolydK testing a try and leaving it on Stretch to just update into Stretch Stable. Would that work or is SolydK ee still to unstable?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Apr 2017 00:27

I'm on X so I'm not quite about plasma situation. AFAIK most of our problem in plasma was configuration issue and lack of documentation. people said it's now lot better but I don't know the details. the best route to get stable K would be using debian's testing ISO then solydk-ing it.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 05 Apr 2017 01:47

kurotsugi wrote:...the best route to get stable K would be using debian's testing ISO then solydk-ing it.

Why would this be better than grabbing the latest nightly iso and just changing the repos to the SolydK9 and Stretch repos? Wouldn't I then get all the SolydK goodness as it matures to the final product?

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 05 Apr 2017 02:25

grabbing the nightly iso would be the hardest route. you'll need to update your system from jessie to stretch. that's a long and risky process. did I misunderstood something here?

somehow I think you were mean using the latest solydK-ee iso. if that true, yes, that's also another easy method to get new plasma early in your system. however, as I stated above, there "might" be some issues which comes from how the iso were generated. the current iso is more or less a snapshot of quite old system (we first made them since early life of solydxk...years ago). there might be some issues and anomalies in it. by using debian's iso, we will install our system from scratch (debian didn't use a snapshot. the installation is done manually by installing each deb files). this will guarantee that our system is free from these issues and anomalies.

on normal situation, aside from the pre-installed packages and desktop configuration, it's true that there should be no differences using the debian and solydxk iso. I tend to avoid risk. that's why I said using debian iso is better.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 05 Apr 2017 16:09

kurotsugi wrote:grabbing the nightly iso would be the hardest route. you'll need to update your system from jessie to stretch. that's a long and risky process. did I misunderstood something here?

somehow I think you were mean using the latest solydK-ee iso. if that true, yes, that's also another easy method to get new plasma early in your system. however, as I stated above, there "might" be some issues which comes from how the iso were generated. the current iso is more or less a snapshot of quite old system (we first made them since early life of solydxk...years ago). there might be some issues and anomalies in it. by using debian's iso, we will install our system from scratch (debian didn't use a snapshot. the installation is done manually by installing each deb files). this will guarantee that our system is free from these issues and anomalies.

on normal situation, aside from the pre-installed packages and desktop configuration, it's true that there should be no differences using the debian and solydxk iso. I tend to avoid risk. that's why I said using debian iso is better.

Yeah I meant the latest EE edition. I guess I thought there were some nightly builds on the ee edition that were being used to build SolydK9. Isn't there a more up to date version that is being used to build SolydK9. As you mentioned the latest official ee isos are getting old. I tried to update one before and ran into issues.

Is there a thread somewhere about installing Debian and Solydifying it? I would have preferred using a SolydK9 testing iso and letting it roll into Stable, but it sounds like thats not really a good option.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 06 Apr 2017 01:20

there's no specific guide but after you install debian you simply:
1. add the solydxk repo into your list.
2. update the package cache.
3. install solydxk's keyring.
4. install solydxk packages.

done.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 06 Apr 2017 13:51