No more Unity

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
MAYBL8

No more Unity

Postby MAYBL8 » 06 Apr 2017 13:20

Fargo

Re: No more Unity

Postby Fargo » 08 Apr 2017 01:21

I saw that too. I've played with Ubuntu but never really used it. I really didn't like the menu in Unity. I loved the look of the rest of the desktop and I really wanted to switch to Ubuntu, but I just hated not having a normal menu that listed out the installed programs in an easy to use format. That whole search thing just seemed counter intuitive and difficult. Having said that, I am sorry to see Unity die.

I have a feeling that this is the first sign that Ubuntu is pulling away from the desktop. I think the Open Source community has been unfair to Ubuntu over the years and Ubuntu has finally said 'Forget it. The open source community just complains about everything we do. Lets just move on. We can put our money to better use'

EDIT: Removed rant.

Now back to Ubuntu. Why go back to Gnome. They really should have looked at some of the other options. I would have been thrilled if Ubuntu would have kept moving towards their qt goals and just moved on over to KDE. I think Budgie would have worked very well for them too. In fact, with Budgie moving to Qt and targeting Gnome programs, Budgie would have been a fantastic replacement. Its really moving in the same direction Unity was. Even Cinnamon would have been a better choice. Gnome is just as complicated and unintuitive as Unity was. But maybe its just me that doesn't like Gnome. Although I do like the integration and consistency of the Gnome programs.

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 08 Apr 2017 05:34

Unity won't die. This is the free open source Linux world where there is always somebody who picks it up and continues it. Just wait and see.
I have tried Unity when Ubuntu introduced it and couldn't work with it. It is indeed very un intuitive, having to open a program by typing the first few characters of the name, the so called dash, no it's not for me, so I jumped to KDE and never looked back.

ilu

Postby ilu » 08 Apr 2017 07:20

Fargo wrote:I have a feeling that this is the first sign that Ubuntu is pulling away from the desktop.

This is Ubuntu pulling away from the mobile platform, i.e. the end of Ubuntu for smartphones. Which is a pity because more options on the smartphone market would have been a good idea. But the smartphone companies did not jump on the Ubuntu wagon and only a few customers did.

Desktop variety is good enough so one less won't be missed.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 08 Apr 2017 14:38

I wouldn't miss Unity if it died at all. Although, I do think Unity had the best Global menus. No one does global menus as well as Unity did. I almost switched to Ubuntu just because I loved the way the top bar switched between menu and title bar as the mouse hovered over it. It was fantastic use of that space. No one does it better. But that Dash menu thing was terrible.

I have seen already a website for Unity 8 fork. Which I think is funny. Everyone hated Unity when Ubuntu did it. But now when the open source community decides to fork it, people think its a great idea. I'd rather see it just die than have another half baked DE. My concern is not so much the death of Unity, but a concern that Ubuntu is moving more towards servers and IOT where they don't need a desktop. My fear is that this is the first step away from the Linux desktop. I hope you are right that its just them pulling away from the mobile market. Although that is a shame too. I really wanted to see them succeed in the phone market.

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 08 Apr 2017 17:21

SolydForEver wrote:I have tried Unity when Ubuntu introduced it and couldn't work with it. It is indeed very un intuitive, having to open a program by typing the first few characters of the name, the so called dash, no it's not for me, so I jumped to KDE and never looked back.

It's interesting you say this.

I just finished a MS SharePoint certification course wherein the instructor was all about how nice and intuitive it was to just type on the Windows Server 2012 R2 desktop and have a selection of matching programs automagically appear in a selection list. And he's right - if you know the name of the program or any part of the name, the selection list was almost always relevant.

Still, I'm old school and appreciate the use of a menu ....
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 08 Apr 2017 18:57

srq2625 wrote:
SolydForEver wrote:...
I just finished a MS SharePoint certification course wherein the instructor was all about how nice and intuitive it was to just type on the Windows Server 2012 R2 desktop and have a selection of matching programs automagically appear in a selection list. And he's right - if you know the name of the program or any part of the name, the selection list was almost always relevant.

Still, I'm old school and appreciate the use of a menu ....

Yeah the problem was thats a big IF. If you've never used Linux before you wouldn't know the names of the programs It could take several guessed to get something to show up. I had instances when trying out a live cd where I knew the name of the program and I still couldn't find it. As I recall I think I was clicked on the wrong icon on the bottom of the dash so I was only searching folders instead of apps or something. But it was still frustrating enough that I never thought Unity was appropriate for a new Linux user.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 08 Apr 2017 20:38

I had a similar issue when KDE 4 came out, I just could not get on with the new menu and "Widgets", just hated it. Looked at Gnome in the old days and Unity once, the fact that it was only once says a lot I guess. Moved XFCE and have been happy since, played with KDE over the last few months but think I would wanted to update my PC first if I intended to run it on a daily basis.

srq2625

Postby srq2625 » 08 Apr 2017 21:17

Fargo wrote:Yeah the problem was thats a big IF. If you've never used Linux before you wouldn't know the names of the programs It could take several guessed to get something to show up. I had instances when trying out a live cd where I knew the name of the program and I still couldn't find it. As I recall I think I was clicked on the wrong icon on the bottom of the dash so I was only searching folders instead of apps or something. But it was still frustrating enough that I never thought Unity was appropriate for a new Linux user.

Yep, it's all in knowing the names of the programs and with Linux, that's a very BIG if, especially for me. I still, after about 8 years with various distros, don't have a solid handle on the names of some of the programs. That's why I really like both the Whisker and KDE menu - the search function seems to know just what I'm looking for.
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”