Kiosk Distro?

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
xendistar

Kiosk Distro?

Postby xendistar » 27 Apr 2017 19:48

I am after a distro to make a kiosk PC for browsing a single web site.

I have googled and there are 100's of distro\scripts out there, but which ones work and which ones are a waste of time? I am hoping somebody may have done something similar and can point me in the right direction.

I have a PC, I am not worried about running from CD\DVD or USB Stick, I would prefer a Debian based distro as that it what I have mainly used for the last <insert number> years.

Will probably use Firefox as the browser of choice and I want to lock it so that is the only web site you can access. Would prefer to bootup, auto login, launch Firefox and open on the web site homepage.

So what has anybody tried or can recommend.

kurotsugi

Re: Kiosk Distro?

Postby kurotsugi » 28 Apr 2017 01:42

Will probably use Firefox as the browser of choice and I want to lock it so that is the only web site you can access. Would prefer to bootup, auto login, launch Firefox and open on the web site homepage.
based on this description, all debian based distro will work. the autologin could be easily configured from lightdm while launching firefox could be done from autostart script. I'm not sure about how to lock the address since there are many ways to do it. IIRC there is a firefox plugin to do that. though, user with advanced knowledge could easily hack it. else, you can user other method, for an example, setup a local DNS which only contain the website address.

xendistar

Re: Kiosk Distro?

Postby xendistar » 01 May 2017 21:50

Just a quick update, I was pointed toward a small kiosk distro called Porteus Kiosk 3.7. While I have not had much time to play with it, I have installed it and set up the parameters and got it locked to the one web site as I wanted and it seems to work. There is a newer version but from version 4 onwards is only available for 64bit machine, 3.7 is the last of the 32bit installs

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”