Cloud storage for an association

Talking about SolydXK, another distribution or totally off-topic but within the Rules ? It's the right place!
escolar

Cloud storage for an association

Postby escolar » 29 Oct 2017 18:04

I’m creating, with other people, an association for local History studies and diffusion. Some of us have a lot of documents about this topic downloaded from Internet (scientific articles, free domain old books scanned by Google, etc). I’m thinking about some kind of repository where we could uploads the documents to share them. Every document has to have a description and the name of the uploader. The association is not-profit and we need a free cloud system. I use Mega, but I don’t know if Mega has this kind of service.

In summary, we need a service where every user enter with his/her username and password, all of them may access to all documents, and the name of the uploader is public.

Do you know some free service of this kind, usable from Windows and Linux?

ilu

Re: Cloud storage for an association

Postby ilu » 29 Oct 2017 18:36

I would set up a server with NextCloud or use one of these: https://nextcloud.com/providers/

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 30 Oct 2017 00:15

AFAIK nextcloud server isn't working for windows. there's indeed, some free server but it only has 1 gb storage. there are lot of free file repos but the need to have file description and uploader name is a lil bit tricky. google drive and dropbox community seems has good framework for multiple user but I don't know if it would show these kind of information.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Oct 2017 09:31

If you have your own server, or vps (virtual private server) you can install LetoDMS (in the Debian repository) or SeedDMS

You will have full control over your own DMS and documents but maintenance and support are your responsibility as well.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 30 Oct 2017 13:29

NextCloud has WebDAV, every OS (Windows included) should have clients for WebDAV. Not sure about the description and uploader requirement though. Colleges praise SeaFile, I haven't used it. Regarding the description and other requirements simple WebDAV will probably not be enough.

Setting up your own server is always best.

Set up your own Hubzilla https://project.hubzilla.org instance or find a free one (don't have a link atm). That's a social network ideal for organizing a group of coworkers. It has a lot of features (file storage, group calendars, chat, facebook-like communication, sophisticated permissions management), so it takes some time to learn how to use it. Very powerful, but not easy.

Or set up a wiki with file storage feature. DokuWiki is comparatively easy to setup because it doesn't need a database but any wiki will probably do.

escolar

Postby escolar » 30 Oct 2017 15:44

Thanks for your answers

I'll look your suggestions, although to have our own server is not possible.

Return to “Open Chat / General Discussion”