from SolydK to SolydKBE

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Nomen Nescio

from SolydK to SolydKBE

Postby Nomen Nescio » 05 Feb 2014 16:24

Although that is a good idea from the maintainer's point of view, it is not very user friendly.
So, that will change into "solydk_201401.iso", and thus will include the version number.
Thank you for this. I'm still happy with the Solyd(X/K/BE) experience but sometimes having troubles finding my way and although there is a lot of knowledge here, a lot is in the founders heads so "we, the users" sometimes miss the rationale behind some decisions. I played a lot with SolydK on my main machine but as mentioned somewhere last year I wanted to experiment with a new simple PC and booting primarily Solyd, backed-up with XP for legacy reasons/games.

Now I'm running SolydKBE as main OS for stability compared to SolydK, although no real issues (only the lower version of Evolution caused some problems trying to import automatically the backup file which was created on SolydK with a higher version of Evolution). Other issues have to do with the specific hardware (HP Microserver n54l, Sapphire HD 7750 low profile, Asus Xonar 3) but I managed to to install the proprietary Radeon driver (with some help from smxi). But he, I can play Crysis on the highest settings (in XP of course) so I can live with it.

Some questions I have for now:

Is it advisable to use the Virtualbox version from the repository, or can I install the latest deb package from their website?
In general use the version from the repository or is it okay to use te latest (deb) package (e.g. MKVtools, Calibre etc.)?
SolydK had steam, is there a (meta)package which can be installed for the same experience?
SolydK had some nice Photo related software, is there a (meta)package which can be installed?
I like the 'new Gnome' icons in SolydK more than the 'old Gnome icons' in SolydKBE, possible to change this?

Regards,

Nomen Nescio

Fargo

Re: from SolydK to SolydKBE

Postby Fargo » 06 Feb 2014 00:04

I think it will be advised to use the repository for all your software installs. Installing newer software from outside the repos could possibly introduce changes that might make your system less stable. Older software is the drawback with the BE edition. But the stability and ease of maintenance is great. (If you really need the newest version of Virtualbox for something, I would make sure its not bringing in any newer libs or anything. If its just Vbox you might be OK.)

I'm not sure which photo software you are missing in the Business Edition. The only recomendation I can make here is to install the 'kipi-plugins'. This will provide much greater functionality in Digikam and Gwenview.

I don't know about your other questions.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Feb 2014 10:34

Steam will need the latest libc6, and is available from our Home repositories.
Installing Steam will bring in a whole lot of new packages, practically turning your system into a Home edition.

If Steam is what you really need, I recommend to use the Home edition.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Nomen Nescio

Postby Nomen Nescio » 11 Feb 2014 13:14

Steam will need the latest libc6, and is available from our Home repositories.
Installing Steam will bring in a whole lot of new packages, practically turning your system into a Home edition.
not needed but tried to imitate Home on BE...

After reinstalling SolydKBE i'm quite happy with the results (see: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 885#p27398 ) but surpised by the free non-fee discussion.

Anyway, enjoy the birthday of your daughter today, wich can't be compared to these bits/bytes discussions.

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”