Pure free SolydK BE/BO

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: Pure free SolydK BE/BO

Postby Schoelje » 12 Feb 2014 09:43

I like these kind of topics: nothing better than a good discussion to clarify a subject, and I've read all very valid points of view on this subject.

I like the Fargo's posed question:
How do we make SolydK BE legal to use in all countries with complete codec and driver support?

I'd like BE to be what it is now, but legal for everybody to use. So, where do we start to accomplish that?

Duped has added some points of interest:
  1. Security: as in few viruses, as few break-ins as possible
  2. Functionality: it has to do what people want it too without too many difficulties
  3. Accountability (or illusion of): you need to tell your bosses that this is backed by something. Seems like insurance and makes people feel better
  4. Cost: not too expensive.
  5. Control: the infrastructure needs to be set up to exert a fine level of control on all machines including web access, application access and ability to know what employees are doing
  6. Compatibility: they want people to be using all the same applications to keep a tight system requiring less testing
  7. Longevity: It needs to have the assurance that investment today can be realised over the long term and no drastic switches in a year or two
  8. Extensibility: it needs to be upgradable and new components added if necessary without disrupting everything
  9. Reach the new economies

How can we shape these points, e.g.: #1 - a firewall is enabled by default, but what can we do more, but still keep it working out of the box?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Feb 2014 10:05

the drivers are free to use and distribute. there's no legal matter on that point. nevertheless, some country did not allow an OS comes with codecs. this isn't a big issue since user aren't prohibited to install them after they install the OS. we have similar tool with mintwelcome aren't we? we can simply put a link which will install the codecs to the system.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 12 Feb 2014 11:04

i think we are looking at the problem from the wrong side of the stick.
CESG publishes security reviews of most (all?) OS in a perspective of official deployment and the criteria is very clear. its latest report ranked ubuntu 12.04 highly https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... buntu-1204
(and we know that 12.04 doesn't have exactly a concern with free/non-free software)

i think it is in this perspective that we should see this problem:
- can we make BE pass CESG report?
not yet, i think. there's requirements with secure boot and disk encryption that we can't meet at the moment.
bliss of ignorance

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 12 Feb 2014 11:14

zerozero wrote:i think we are looking at the problem from the wrong side of the stick.
CESG publishes security reviews of most (all?) OS in a perspective of official deployment and the criteria is very clear. its latest report ranked ubuntu 12.04 highly https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... buntu-1204
(and we know that 12.04 doesn't have exactly a concern with free/non-free software)

i think it is in this perspective that we should see this problem:
- can we make BE pass CESG report?
not yet, i think. there's requirements with secure boot and disk encryption that we can't meet at the moment.

Thanks, I didn't even know that existed!
Have to read up on that.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”