KMyMoney Segmentation Fault [SOLVED]

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
RichLobo

KMyMoney Segmentation Fault [SOLVED]

Postby RichLobo » 27 May 2014 21:26

I am running SolydK-BE

After applying a system update about three or four weeks ago the KMyMoney program fails to open. First a splash screen opens momentarily and then nothing. Running from a terminal I get the segmentatnion fault message. Can anyone help me fix this error?

I have tried completely uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. I have renamed the data files to see if that was the problem... same result.

Code: Select all

$ kmymoney
7:2014/05/27 14-23-16:aqbanking(6101):started
KMyMoney kbanking plugin loaded
KMyMoney reconciliation report plugin loaded
KMyMoney csvimport plugin loaded
KMyMoney printcheck plugin loaded
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
KMyMoney ofximport plugin loaded
KMyMoney iCalendar plugin loaded
Segmentation fault

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: KMyMoney Segmentation Fault

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 May 2014 05:29

I installed kmymoney on SolydK BE:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  kmymoney-common libalkimia4 libaqbanking-data
  libaqbanking-plugins-libgwenhywfar60 libaqbanking34 libaqbanking34-plugins
  libaqhbci20 libaqofxconnect7 libgwengui-qt4-0 libgwenhywfar-data
  libgwenhywfar60 libktoblzcheck1c2a libofx4 libosp5 pinentry-qt4
Suggested packages:
  aqbanking-tools libchipcard-libgwenhywfar60-plugins gwenhywfar-tools
  libgwenhywfar60-dbg ktoblzcheck ofx pinentry-doc
Recommended packages:
  gpg-agent
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kmymoney kmymoney-common libalkimia4 libaqbanking-data
  libaqbanking-plugins-libgwenhywfar60 libaqbanking34 libaqbanking34-plugins
  libaqhbci20 libaqofxconnect7 libgwengui-qt4-0 libgwenhywfar-data
  libgwenhywfar60 libktoblzcheck1c2a libofx4 libosp5 pinentry-qt4
0 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
Need to get 31.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 66.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
KmyMoney started without an issue.

Please, make sure your system is updated.
Did you change theme, perhaps?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 28 May 2014 15:13

Thank you, Schoelje, for trying to duplicate my error.

I keep my system updated religiously, in fact that has been part of the problem. Each of the last few major updates has created problems. After the previous update to my current problem, the update killed my printer application. I had to uninstall and reinstall the printer's packages. In fact there were warnings of "orphaned" packages after running the update.

I have gone so far as to reinstall SolydK BE before taking the steps mentioned in my original post. I have read of others having "segmentation faults" show up after system updates.

At this point, I don't know if this is a software/operating system or a hardware problem. I am willing to run suggested diagnostics to find and maybe solve the issue. FYI I have a dual boot - Windows 7 computer and KMyMoney works just fine in Windows 7.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 May 2014 15:33

can you please share the following output

inxi -Sr; uname -a; apt policy kmymoney
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 28 May 2014 15:59

OK, here it is:

$ inxi -Sr; uname -a; apt policy kmymoney
System:    Host: timothy-sx2803 Kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: SolydXK 1 testing
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://packages.solydxk.com/business/ solydxk main upstream import
           deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list
           deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
Linux timothy-sx2803 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3+deb7u1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
kmymoney:
  Installed: 4.6.2-3.2
  Candidate: 4.6.2-3.2
  Version table:
 *** 4.6.2-3.2 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 May 2014 19:39

everything is as it should; i can't see nothing wrong there.
what made me ask was
RichLobo wrote:Each of the last few major updates has created problems. After the previous update to my current problem, the update killed my printer application.
the SolydK-BE updates shouldn't be disruptive (that's the all point of debian stable)

- have you ever used other repos apart from the ones that came default?
- did you install software from outside the repos?
- when you mention "few major updates" are you refering to what exactly? the BE's have a very low update rate. from where did you get those updates?
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 28 May 2014 21:46

the SolydK-BE updates shouldn't be disruptive (that's the all point of debian stable)
That's why I chose this distro! I was shocked by the problems.
- have you ever used other repos apart from the ones that came default?
None, right out of the box, so to speak.
- did you install software from outside the repos?
Yes, Crash Plan backup software. However, everything ran fine after that installation until now.
- when you mention "few major updates" are you refering to what exactly? the BE's have a very low update rate. from where did you get those updates?
I only apply updates via the Update Manager whenever it indicates that updates are available. There was one major update in mid April and there have been two or three minor ones since... all throu the Update Manager.

I think you can understand my frustration. Thank you zerozero and everyone for your efforts.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 29 May 2014 23:47

Just signing in to watch how this plays out. It seems really strange to me that you are having this issue with the Business Edition.

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 30 May 2014 02:38

Fargo, I feel the same way. I am at a loss on how to proceed. Maybe it is a hardware issue, but my PC is less than 2 y/o. Maybe it is an issue with KMyMoney... waiting to hear from someone. The program has been critical to me since I manage my home finances with it. Now I have to reboot to Windows for this function. I may switch over to an online app if this becomes problematical.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 30 May 2014 02:51

Rich, have you run memtest or anything to verify its not hardware? Faulty memory can do strange things. Although it does seem odd its only one program that is affected.

Also if you have enough memory I think you can install KMymoney on the live cd, just to see what happens. I wouldn't suggest doing that for a long term solution. But just to see what it does.

I too use Kmymoney for all my home finanaces. I've considered moneydance from time to time but I stick with KMymoney. Right now it is on my wifes computer and working fine, but she is using the SolydK home edition.

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 30 May 2014 17:01

Fargo, thank you for the suggestion to run memtest. I ran memtest86+ last night and... 0 errors. I ran it through the full sequence of tests, I know it is not absolute proof, but it is about the most reliable testing.

I don't know how to go about adding KMyMoney to a live CD but I can't imagine that it would be any better than rebooting to Windows7 and running it there.

I've been reading on the Forum that I am not alone in experiencing problems with the April2014 update. It is obvious that there was a problem with it and I would hope that the wizards in tech will be looking into the issues and sending out fixes.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 30 May 2014 17:54

RichLobo
first of all i want to apologize for not posting earlier but "real life" happened :roll:

i am still at a lost why this problem happened with kmymoney but in the meantime i want to clarify this
RichLobo wrote:I've been reading on the Forum that I am not alone in experiencing problems with the April2014 update. It is obvious that there was a problem with it and I would hope that the wizards in tech will be looking into the issues and sending out fixes.
the april UP only applies to the home ed.; the business ed. doesn't have UP;
it's still not entirely clear what huge april update you are refering to; but we are going to solve that now.
please attach copies of

/var/log/apt/history.log

/var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz

/var/log/apt/history.log.2.gz
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 30 May 2014 18:54

Believe it or not, life happens in my home too.

I tried running your code in Terminal and get "permission denied". I signed in then as su and got the same message. I am missing something here.

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 May 2014 19:49

RichLobo: You do not need to run any code. Zerozero simply wants you to post copies of the three specified log files to these forums so that we can see what has been installed.

Click on the "Post Reply" button to open a new reply. You should see two tabs below the text window. Click on the "Upload attachment" tab, then the "Choose File" button.

Navigate to the first log file requested (/var/log/apt/history.log) then click on "open" to select the file. Click on "Add the file" to save the file to the post.

Repeat these steps to save the other two log files to the post.

Add any text you wish to the new post and then hit the "Submit" button to post your text and the three log files to this forum.

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 30 May 2014 20:56

Duh, thank you Zil, I obviously had code on my mind, not mention a brain freeze! :oops:

ZeroZero, these two files are the only ones from your list in that directory.

Thanks guys
Rich
Attachments
history.log.1.gz
(427 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
history.log
(17.36 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 May 2014 22:44

RichLobo wrote:ZeroZero, these two files are the only ones from your list in that directory.
I have had a quick look at your two logs and, although I do not run SolydK BE myself and so cannot compare them with my files, your logs do look "sane" to me, with apparently the right wheezy packages. However, zerozero should be able to confirm if these versions are actually correct for SolydK BE.

What is puzzling me is that you have said that "the last few major updates has created problems" and "one major update in mid April", although you do not appear to have any log entries prior to 2014-05-07. Just to check this would you please open a terminal and post the full output of the following command:

ls -l /var/log/apt

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 31 May 2014 00:34

OK, here we go...

$ ls -l /var/log/apt
total 124
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17777 May 30 09:50 history.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   427 May  7 20:45 history.log.1.gz
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  92990 May 30 09:50 term.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm    787 May  7 20:45 term.log.1.gz
Yes, May 7... I should have remembered that was my 70th birthday! I admit I was guessing at the date because I did not know where it was logged. I do remember that seemed like a very large update.

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 May 2014 11:42

RichLobo: So did you actually install SolydK BE for the first time on May 7? Was this a clean install or were you upgrading a previous distro?

According to your history.log, kmymoney was installed for the first time at 20:57:28 on 2014-05-07. Did kmymoney ever run properly on this installation or did it only fail after other updates had been made?

Are you using an old kmymoney data directory from a previous installation? If so then this could be causing the segmentation fault. See "KMyMoney crashes when I try to launch it" for more details. This document advises:
There are many reasons KMyMoney might crash or give an error instead of starting up normally. You first need to determine if the problem is with the software or with your data. So, the first thing to try is to launch KMyMoney without opening your data file. If the application starts up, but crashes when you try to load your data file, try loading an older copy of your file. (You did make a backup, didn't you?)

If KMyMoney crashes on startup without trying to load a data file, there may be a problem with your installation. See the section on installing KMyMoney or the section on getting help.
This then links to the following advice:
Most commonly, you will launch KMyMoney from an icon or a start menu of your window manager. In this case, the default behavior is that KMyMoney will open the last file you had open. However, in some circumstances, you will want or need to launch KMyMoney from the command line.

For a complete description of all the available line options, see the man page for KMyMoney However, there are two special cases which we describe here.

kmymoney -n. The -n option tells KMyMoney not to open the last file it had open. This can be useful if the program crashes on startup.

kmymoney <path to file>. Giving KMyMoney a filename on the command line tells it to open that file instead of the last file it had open. You can use the name of any valid KMyMoney file, as described in the chapter on file formats. In addition, this can be used to import a GnuCash file.
Note that it might be worth trying to start kmymoney with the "-n" option:

kmymoney -n

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 31 May 2014 16:07

Zill, thanks again for you time and efforts. Yes, things get muddled. On 28 May I wrote
I have gone so far as to reinstall SolydK BE before taking the steps mentioned in my original post.
I should have been more clear that the 7 May the time I reinstalled SolydkBE trying to fix the problem. (Note to self... make clear timeline before involving the Forum on issues)

In 2013 I began using the home version of Solydk, regretably I did not keep a log of my actions and don't remember the dates. I installed KMyMoney and all was well. Several months later after experiencing several stability issues in the "home" version (no problem with KMyMoney), I installed the "BE" version. (At this time I discovered that only the "root" partition was over written - by design?) Again, every thing worked well, including KMM, until an update in April (I think). At that update the O/S no longer recognized my printer and I had to reinstall its packages. I then discovered the problem with KMM. Finally, in desperation, I installed the latest release of BE on 7 May... no change.

KMM uses a data file which can be placed in any directory. I have successfully transported this file to Windows and back at times. Thinking the file might be corrupted I had even tried removing the file and starting clean. No luck.

Here is the result of using the "-n" option...

$ kmymoney -n
kmymoney(18349)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

p11-kit: invalid config filename, will be ignored in the future: /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module
7:2014/05/31 07-00-04:aqbanking(18349):started
Segmentation fault
I understand that the preferred Linux method is to fix a problem without resorting to reinstalling, but my case I am open to removing all partions and making a clean start. Yes I have daily backups on all my data... would appreciate your opinion. I will hang tough with this process IF IT HELPS OTHERS to solve their problems, I want to be a team player.

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 May 2014 20:03

RichLobo wrote:Zill, thanks again for you time and efforts. Yes, things get muddled. On 28 May I wrote
I have gone so far as to reinstall SolydK BE before taking the steps mentioned in my original post.
I should have been more clear that the 7 May the time I reinstalled SolydkBE trying to fix the problem. (Note to self... make clear timeline before involving the Forum on issues)
Not your fault - I should have read the thread more carefully! My apologies.
RichLobo wrote:Here is the result of using the "-n" option...

$ kmymoney -n
kmymoney(18349)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 

p11-kit: invalid config filename, will be ignored in the future: /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module
7:2014/05/31 07-00-04:aqbanking(18349):started
Segmentation fault
I can't help directly with this problem as I don't run KDE. However, as a "shot in the dark" it may be that the p11-kit error is due to Debian Bug #687953. In order to establish if this is relevant, would you please post the full output of the following two commands:

apt-cache policy gnome-keyring
ls -l /etc/pkcs11/modules/
Regarding the "ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed" error, I believe this can have various causes so zerozero or others may be best able to advise on this one.

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”