KMyMoney Segmentation Fault [SOLVED]

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
RichLobo

Re: KMyMoney Segmentation Fault

Postby RichLobo » 31 May 2014 20:35

Thanks, no problem. Here is the output you requested...

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy gnome-keyring
gnome-keyring:
  Installed: 3.4.1-5
  Candidate: 3.4.1-5
  Version table:
 *** 3.4.1-5 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ ls -l /etc/pkcs11/modules/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 293 Jan 25  2012 gnome-keyring-module

Zill

Postby Zill » 31 May 2014 22:21

RichLobo: Thanks for the info.

It looks like the p11-kit error may be due to Debian Bug #687953. No guarantees but I would try creating a symlink between /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module and /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring.module so that p11-kit can find it:

sudo ln -s /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring.module
Then post the output of "ls -l /etc/pkcs11/modules/" to verify that both "gnome-keyring-module" and "gnome-keyring.module" are both listed.

Start kmymoney with the "-n" option and post the full output to see if the p11-kit error has now gone:

kmymoney -n

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 31 May 2014 22:28

Thanks, here again is the output you requsted.

$ ls -l /etc/pkcs11/modules/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 293 Jan 25  2012 gnome-keyring-module
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  40 May 31 15:23 gnome-keyring.module -> /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module

After running "kmymoney -n" result.

$ kmymoney -n
p11-kit: invalid config filename, will be ignored in the future: /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module
7:2014/05/31 15-25-40:aqbanking(13280):started
KMyMoney kbanking plugin loaded
KMyMoney reconciliation report plugin loaded
KMyMoney csvimport plugin loaded
KMyMoney printcheck plugin loaded
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
KMyMoney ofximport plugin loaded
KMyMoney iCalendar plugin loaded
Segmentation fault

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 31 May 2014 22:43

i'm trying to replicate this segfault and i can't;
a new VM setup, fully updated and kmymoney installed after the updates; it doesn't crash

zerozero@k-be ~ $ kmymoney -n
7:2014/05/31 23-33-03:aqbanking(3764):started
QPainter::begin: Widget painting can only begin as a result of a paintEvent
QPainter::translate: Painter not active
QPainter::setClipRect: Painter not active
QPainter::setPen: Painter not active
QPainter::worldTransform: Painter not active

however Zill may be onto something with that bug (was also the only thing i found);
apparently symlinking it doesn't get ride of the error so i would suggest the solution posted in the bug report

sudo mv /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring.module

and a reboot so the module can be loaded again.
bliss of ignorance

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 31 May 2014 22:47

Zill wrote:Regarding the "ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed" error, I believe this can have various causes so zerozero or others may be best able to advise on this one.

this is an annoying bug but shouldn't be related with the kmymoney segfault; it reflects (usually) in very slow opening of qt app (but not crash)
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 31 May 2014 23:04

Thank you zerozero for both replies. Now one error seemed to go away after running your code line...

$ kmymoney -n
7:2014/05/31 15-59-36:aqbanking(4234):started
Segmentation fault

However the Segmentation fault is still there. But, maybe we have eleminated the data file issue?

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Jun 2014 10:01

zerozero wrote:...however Zill may be onto something with that bug (was also the only thing i found);
apparently symlinking it doesn't get ride of the error so i would suggest the solution posted in the bug report

sudo mv /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring-module /etc/pkcs11/modules/gnome-keyring.module
and a reboot so the module can be loaded again.
I agree that this could be the best way to resolve the kmymoney problem but I was concerned about any other applications that also use gnome-keyring-module, hence my symlink suggestion. It may be that the symlink didn't appear to work because the machine was not rebooted after the change so the "new" module was not loaded (my error!)

Anyway, with the newly renamed gnome-keyring.module, the p11-kit error has now gone so that is one step in the right direction. :-)
RichLobo wrote:...However the Segmentation fault is still there. But, maybe we have eleminated the data file issue?
The segmentation fault is still a puzzle but I do believe that your data file has now been eliminated from the problem as starting with "kmymoney -n" should just ignore it.

Interestingly, the "ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed" error has not appeared in your latest posts, which implies it is a timing issue and ties in with zerozero's post. This may not be relevant to the segfault but I would not rule anything out at this stage. ;-)

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Jun 2014 10:17

Fargo wrote:... Also if you have enough memory I think you can install KMymoney on the live cd, just to see what happens. I wouldn't suggest doing that for a long term solution. But just to see what it does.
RichLobo wrote:... I don't know how to go about adding KMyMoney to a live CD but I can't imagine that it would be any better than rebooting to Windows7 and running it there...
I am not sure how many dependencies KMymoney will drag in but I agree with Fargo that it might be worth trying to install it on a "live" system. Simply boot your machine using the latest SolydK BE DVD or USB so that it runs live (directly from the ISO) rather than from your HDD. Then use the software manager to install KMymoney and all its dependencies. Note that this will only install to RAM and so will disappear when your machine is powered down.

This is better that running KMymoney in Windows as you will be using exactly the same software (including the same versions) as when installed to your Linux HDD. If you still get a segfault then this may indicate that there is a compatibility problem with your hardware. However, if KMymoney runs OK then it may be worth considering a totally clean install of SolydK BE as this should eliminate any "sticky toffees" hanging around to cause problems!

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Jun 2014 14:34

Thanks Zill, got it about the live USB... I was thinking the suggestion was to build a new live USB with the app. included. Yes, I have temp. installed apps to the live version before.

Zill wrote: It may be that the symlink didn't appear to work because the machine was not rebooted after the change so the "new" module was not loaded (my error!)
Not to worry, actually I did reboot after that on General Principal and it made no difference.

At this point I think I will delete all partitions and start fresh IF the live USB testing works. I will report back on the testing.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 01 Jun 2014 14:47

RichLobo

RichLobo wrote:At this point I think I will delete all partitions and start fresh IF the live USB testing works. I will report back on the testing.
one of the possibilities is that some of the software you installed in the meantime is conflicting with kmymoney making it segfault;
it's a difficult task find out which but i can give it a try between today and tomorrow;

there's no point start anew if you are going to fall into the same "trap" (assuming the problem is similar to what i described)
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Jun 2014 15:05

OK, the live USB test went like a charm, everything worked according to specifications.

zerozero wrote:one of the possibilities is that some of the software you installed in the meantime is conflicting with kmymoney making it segfault; it's a difficult task find out which but i can give it a try between today and tomorrow;
Thanks zerozero, I will hold off a few days... it would help everyone if we had an answer.

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Jun 2014 15:33

RichLobo wrote:...Not to worry, actually I did reboot after that on General Principal ...
Ughh!!! that's Windows thinking! ;-)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 01 Jun 2014 16:03

Zill wrote:Ughh!!! that's Windows thinking! ;-)
You're so right... Having only come to Linux for good last July I've found it truly amazing how deeply ingrained that thinking is. It's great not to have to reboot all the time! OTOH I still find myself doing the "reboot on GP" thing at times. :oops: :lol: I suppose for a windows user coming to Linux it's rather a thing of knowing when to reboot as it is necessary once in a while... Coming from 30 years with ms I've been surprised to find that some upgrades that I would consider major don't even require a reboot. Only more experience will bring me that confidence, knowing exactly when to do so... :) On second thought it's not confidence, it's more knowledge of the system, period...

I've long ago moved everything from msmoney to KMyMoney with no issues whatsoever, but because I depend on it have been following this thread with great interest.

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 01 Jun 2014 16:44

Thanks Zill and fleabus,
Zill wrote:Ughh!!! that's Windows thinking! ;-)
After 25 years of Windows use and 10 years of consulting with large corporations like Sony, Nokia America, etc. on their accounting and management database issues, old habits die hard. I had been a Certified Public Accountant (for you UK types think Chartered Accountant) since 1970 and tought myself PCs in the 80s. It was a natural fit to analyze data needs, design systems and guide programers to build what businesses needed. Most programers are not necessarily familiar with the needs of business managers even if they are outstanding in their own art... I served as a bridge.

I am very glad that I "discovered" Linux several years ago and began to teach it to myself the same way I leared Windows.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 02 Jun 2014 15:31

Just wondering.

Since Kmymoney worked ok on the livecd, is it possible something was left over on the /home partition when he reinstalled the BE edition? If I read correctly, Rich had originally installed the HE then later installed the Business Edition and kept the /home partition. So I was wondering if the Home Edition uses a newer version of KMyMoney. If so, could it be possible something was saved on the /Home partion that is causing issues?

It could be something else as other mentioned too. I have a similar issue with firefox and flash. It works on the livecd but not on my install. So it could be that something else he installed caused the issue. But I just got to wondering about what might have been left over on the /Home partition from the original Home Edition install.

Just thinking out loud here/ I don't have near the knowledge of the others.

Zill

Postby Zill » 02 Jun 2014 16:17

Fargo wrote:Since Kmymoney worked ok on the livecd, is it possible something was left over on the /home partition when he reinstalled the BE edition? ...
This is quite possible and can well cause problems with other applications. Most applications will save data and configuration settings in the user's home directory. Often such files and/or directories are hidden (dot files) and are not immediately visible with a file browser. To see these hidden files/directories hit Ctrl-h when the file browser is open, or use the "ls -a" command in a terminal.

If a user config file/directory is reused after an upgrade then sometimes these can mismatch with the new software version, causing problems when running the new application.

The best thing to do is to rename the user/config file/directory (eg. add "_old" to the filename) before starting the newly upgraded application. This then forces the application to create a new config file in user's home directory with all the new settings. It is still possible to compare the old and new files, copying data if necessary, to retain the old functionality if desired.

Regarding the original problem in this thread, we did try to mitigate against this by starting kmymoney with the "-n" option, which should have ensured that no old data file was used. However, as I do not run kmymoney myself, I do not know if any other kmymoney config files or directories exist in the user's home directory. If there are any, I would certainly rename them before starting kmymoney again to ensure that it starts with a clean user config.

Schoelje
Site Admin

Postby Schoelje » 02 Jun 2014 17:03

You can always try to create a new user for testing purposes, and work from there.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

RichLobo

Postby RichLobo » 02 Jun 2014 19:54

OK Guys we are on to something here.
1. A hidden folder (Home)(username) ./aqbanking is created when KMyMoney is installed and run for the first time.
2. Created new user and opened KMM with no problem.
3. Compared contents of folders and files "./aqbanking" but found no variation. NOTE: aqbanking is used by GNUCASH.
4. I renamed ./aqbanking to ./bak_aqbanking and ran kmymoney -n and the Segmentation fault persisted even though a new ./aqbanking folder was created. However the configuration files are blank when opened with Kate.
4. I am unable to located any other related folder or file under Home/username/ , who do we ask?

I am encouraged that the program works with the new user.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 02 Jun 2014 20:41

the only other user config file i found is

/home/zerozero/.kde/share/config/kmymoneyrc

try to rename this one.

the quest to find the segfault cause through installed software incompatibilities is so far unsuccessful; i recreated all your history.log (until the problems with kmymoney started) and couldn't recreate the segfault
konsole.txt
(82.79 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
bliss of ignorance

RichLobo

Re: KMyMoney Segmentation Fault [SOLVED]

Postby RichLobo » 02 Jun 2014 21:30

BINGO... thank you zerozero and everyone else! That was it.

The file .kde/share/config/kmymoneyrc was evidently corrupted along the way. I renamed the old file and KMyMoney opened right up when I cliked on the desktop icon.

It would probably not be possible to trace out why this happened, at least we know the fix is quick and simple!

THANK YOU AGAIN EVRYONE, JOB WELL DONE! :D

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”