Firefox and Thundebird did not update

Questions specific to SolydK Business Edition
Fargo

Firefox and Thundebird did not update

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2014 15:05

I just updated my moms computer running SolydK BE. It had been awhile since updates so I just did the update with the new update manager. Everything went smoothly but the tray icon shows there are more updates. Yet running update manager says all updates are made. I checked synaptice and it appears synaptic wants to update Thunderbird to the same esr version that is now installed and firefox wants to update to version 29. That doesn't seem right for the business edition so I stopped my synpatic update. How do I get the current esr versions of thunderbird and firefox and get the update manager to correctly show its status. It seems I had a similar issue to this before but with different programs.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Firefox and Thundebird did not update

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jun 2014 16:28

A lot has changed in the naming conventions lately.
Safest would be to purge the current FF, and then reinstall:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge firefox-esr
sudo apt-get install firefox-esr
and install any firefox-esr-l10n-XX packages if needed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2014 18:30

Trouble!

I tried to purge and reinstall firefox but I now don't have any firefox. Purge said it was not installed. Now I get this code when I try to install firefox.

Code: Select all

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  firefox-esr
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/29.2 MB of archives.
After this operation, 57.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 139120 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking firefox-esr (from .../firefox-esr_24.5.0esr_amd64.deb) ...             
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox-esr_24.5.0esr_amd64.deb (--unpack):     
 trying to overwrite '/opt/firefox/omni.ja', which is also in package firefox-l10n-en-us 24.2.0esr
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)                                        
Processing triggers for solydxk-system ...                                                                  
Errors were encountered while processing:                                                                     
 /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox-esr_24.5.0esr_amd64.deb                                                        
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2014 18:35

Looking in synaptic I see I still have firefox-I10n-en-us installed. Should I just purge 'firefox' or unstall from synaptic?

Also what about Tbird?

Thank you

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jun 2014 20:44

Yes, purge that package as well.
To be sure, you should purge TB also. The update manager should have done that in the previous UP, but if you skipped a few updates, I can only advise to use the terminal now.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2014 21:43

Couldn't get it to purge in terminal so I just removed it by Synaptic. Everything seems to work ok now. Thank you

Return to “SolydK Business Edition”